SA credit and debit cards compared - for overseas purchases and withdrawals

JStrike

Honorary Master
I use my FNB credit card for purchases and FNB debit card for cash withdrawals.
No fees (But I think this depends on your account type), but FNB do make some money on the exchange rate I think. Very minor though as I have never noticed it looking other than what I would expect

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Also - take care which ATM you use. Got absolutely fk'd the other day - like 20% surcharge. Still trying to work out how that happened because I selected EUR, meaning my bank should've been doing the conversion. Think it was a Travelex ATM.

In general I use an investec card for personal stuff (least amount of surprises) and a corporate amex for business (then FX isn't my problem).

And carry multiple cards...something invariably doesn't work. :crying:

lord-of-war

Credit cards worked very well on all our trips overseas. We normally try and do a cash withdrawal at an ATM the first day just you have a bit of cash as a backup with a debit card. The rest we just swipe swipe swipe. So dont see the point in travel cards or getting foreign cash before you go.

Duhkmeerkat

Is it still the same for capitec credit card? Going to europe need to decide what to use?

Nedbank Credit card
Capitec
Or forex Travel card.
Or what about a no charge rewards Credit card?

Updated feedback would be nice

skimread

Honorary Master
Would like to know what these new little banks overseas fees are.

msmoorad

Im going to India & Dubai in a few weeks.
Just want to know more about withdrawing money from MasterCard ATMs. I have a Capitec Debit Card.
When i select how much i want to withdraw, i enter the Rupee amount- is that correct?
And when i swipe, is there any options that i need to know about that i have to select?

Also, will i need the Capitec app on my phone?

And will Capitec give me the exact rate of the Rupee or do i get a lower rate than what XE Currency Converter is showing. Right now its R1= Rs5.0360.

When using banks to change currency, in the past, ive found that they charge too much commission.

Last edited: