SA dams could take 5 years to recover from drought

jikajoe1

:whistling: i won't be surprized, there has been wanton disregard for wastage of this resource by the sudden springing up of car washes anywhere in the last few decades

saor

Honorary Master
People also need to understand that showers are for cleaning, not for pondering.
How wasteful we've become when a 10+ minute hot shower is the norm.

phaktza

Executive Member

Geoff.D

Executive Member
This may be a worst case scenario. God idea to plan on that, and then be pleasantly surprised if the recovery is quicker.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Damn municipalities take way too long to fix leaks and burst pipes. At least one a week I see that gets reported and they only fix it after 24 hours. Thousands of litres of clean water literary down the drain.

Don't know if I believe this, in it's entirety. I recall after water restrictions in the mid-90s we were in the same situation. Within two weeks all the gates at the Vaal had to be opened.
I remember that yes, and a previous case when I grew up, was around 10 or 11 years of age.
Except now we have the cANCer in charge, and will follow Eishkom's lead to extort a tarriff increase.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Don't know if I believe this, in it's entirety. I recall after water restrictions in the mid-90s we were in the same situation. Within two weeks all the gates at the Vaal had to be opened.
But back then water pipes did not leak half as much as they do today and also when you saw water gushing out on some corner, it dd not do so for week's on end.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Can water engineers predict rainfall?

It's best they keep quiet because its so dam obvious it will take 2 to 5 years if not longer or shorter.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
I see this going the same way as load shedding. Constant warnings and cuts, until everyone buys generators, backup power, batteries, solar, gas etc, then suddenly too much power.