SA eyes Chinese firms for 2010

McSack

Executive Member
I reckon the chunk of humble pie necessary for government to eat asking these people to come back after telling them their skills were not needed here, is just going to be too big

McSack

Executive Member
it's a matter of time, money, resouces and work on similar projects in the past, when it comes to construction of stadiums, what has S.A constructed...
FNB:eek:
not good enough!
Ellis park, Loftus, kings park ... ?

McSack

Executive Member
China industry can deliver the quality and the goods and more importantly do it at a better price.
I have to agree

Dealing with them as well will certainly make it easier to avoid nasty little 'Shaik' type incidents from popping up in the future.
They are just as crooked as our lot.
Absolutely and of course they are going to need that all important BEE (Tokyo / Patrice etc) partner

LoneGunman

Expert Member
this ties in with my theory on some other thread, about China doing a concerted slide into Africa..

As an idle side thought, the Chinese were first brought out here as laborers,
(1800's?) for the sugar cane farms mainly, if I remember it right - and - when
they wouldn't knuckle under, then got replaced with imported Indian labor.
The fun fact is that the Chinese would hit back, when hit by overseers, and
this was considered not acceptable.. Thereafter, SA ended up with a growing
Indian population - because they were more pliable to what the Corporations
at the time wanted.
(utterly irrelevant info :)

Roo!

Expert Member
Can you imagine how long it's going to take to get the contracts signed up, with the correct BEE partner?

"Sorry guys, 2010 has been postponed until 2020, see you then." :D

McSack

Executive Member
compare those to plans for world cup stadiums, any similarities except the pitch itself?
i agree with you wholeheartedly, however these stadiums were built what ... 20 years ago? at the time they were world class stadia. My thoughts here are why do we always have to think overseas skills are better? why are we short selling ourselves? why are all our skilled engineers and artisans not around or not prepared to get involved in these projects?

Shuffle

i agree with you wholeheartedly, however these stadiums were built what ... 20 years ago? at the time they were world class stadia. My thoughts here are why do we always have to think overseas skills are better? why are we short selling ourselves? why are all our skilled engineers and artisans not around or not prepared to get involved in these projects?
this is a learning curve for S.A, in the near future S.A constructon companies will probably be contructed by other countries worldwide just like we are contracting China, it's not that we don't have the skills, we never learned them and now is the right time.

xtermin8or

Expert Member
I don't fully get the logic too. I can understand bringing skills to augment the shortage here but cannot understand the logic about those skills coming cheaper.

Maybe, their assumption is that more tenders/bids will give a better realistic value of the projects. Because locally, we only have a handful of construction companies, it seems the feeling is that the local companies are overcharging.
We are partially involved in the Gautrain 3-D geotechnical design and modelling of underground workings incl stations. Maybe we should up the costs a little bit....:p since there's skills shortage.
That is it exactly according to Malcolm Simpson, DDG of the Department, who was quoted in the article

"This is a project with very tight time frames, bringing in foreign companies will create competition among contractors and eliminate the delays caused by price negotiations," he said.

xtermin8or

Expert Member
And the DA led City of Cape Town, shows it's incompetence once again

Last year deputy Finance Minister Jabu Moleketi said to ensure that the project were completed on schedule, construction on host city stadiums should begin in January this year.

However, in certain host cities such as the City of Cape Town, construction work is yet to begin.
Talk about organising a piss-up in a brewery, the DA would not be able to find the ****ing brewery

McSack

Executive Member

Talk about organising a piss-up in a brewery, the DA would not be able to find the ****ing brewery
Oh pulees! they're probably the only ones actually making sure there's a proper budget and proper controls in place to ensure half the budget is not stolen.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Alec 'the Bolt' Erwin' mentioned a long time ago that overseas contractors would be looked at and that the most cost effective bids would be accepted.

Local companies will struggle to compete with their international counterparts, due to no fault of their own, so it is a bit of a slap in the face if the government opts to go offshore as their labor laws and legislation make everything more expensive here.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
perhaps if the ANC was not so hell bent on sabotaging the city of Cape Town and ousting the mayor, more progress would be made. There were no less than 7 hostile attempts to take over the city and during this time not much else happened on all sides. There is no gravy on the train and the comrades are restless.

Sidenote, on the very day that the ANC jaboetie opens his mouth to complain about the stadium, the contract is announced that INVESTEC will cover the R180mil shortfall.
edit: where were all our previously disadvantaged, now stinking rich brethren and their companies when the chips were down???? NOWHERE IN SIGHT.

Last edited:

xtermin8or

Expert Member
perhaps if the ANC was not so hell bent on sabotaging the city of Cape Town and ousting the mayor, more progress would be made.
And perhaps if the white minority in the country was not so hellbent on sabotaging Government's efforts, more could be accomplished

Sneeky

Honorary Master
And perhaps if the white minority in the country was not so hellbent on sabotaging Government's efforts, more could be accomplished
which efforts boet? Last time I checked the ANC did not consult or care what ANY minority group had to offer when it came to policy decisions. They entertain dialogue and forge ahead with their own plans regardless.
The only time the ANC have effectively lost anything is in Cape Town and we can see that that is a very very bitter pill for them to swallow without the gravy.
The ANC leadership is a far cry from what it was 12 years ago.

xtermin8or

Expert Member
Care to explain further what you mean?
I would rather not hijack this thread, my opinions on the reasons for constant whinging about crime, affirmative action, etc. are well known, or can be discussed on another or more appropriate thread

xtermin8or

Expert Member
which efforts boet? Last time I checked the ANC did not consult or care what ANY minority group had to offer when it came to policy decisions. They entertain dialogue and forge ahead with their own plans regardless.
The only time the ANC have effectively lost anything is in Cape Town and we can see that that is a very very bitter pill for them to swallow without the gravy.
The ANC leadership is a far cry from what it was 12 years ago.
Like I said, without hijacking the thread, the ANC leadership 12 years ago were ideal, they had not proven anything and were heros of the people, the current leadership has had to prove that they can run the country, they have made some huge blunders, but in the main have done a good job of it, and I guess the voters will decide next elections

icyrus

Executive Member
I would rather not hijack this thread, my opinions on the reasons for constant whinging about crime, affirmative action, etc. are well known, or can be discussed on another or more appropriate thread
Then why bother posting the original comment at all? But ok, how about you start a thread with the title "How the white minority is hellbent on sabotaging the governments efforts" and we can discuss it there?

xtermin8or

Expert Member
since people seem to be too dof to understand sarcasm, let me explain it fully, Sneeky posted that the Govt was hellbent on sabotaging the DA, now this is funny because it's an argument that the Govt used for the power cuts - remember - My opinions on matters like crime and AA are well known, and therefore I said that the white minority is sabotaging govt.