• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

SA faces tax increase as SARS battles to raise revenue

Visser

Expert Member
JOHANNESBURG - The Finance Committee says the government should find other ways to generate money without increasing VAT.

The committee called on Finance Minister Tito Mboweni to ensure that a VAT panel appointed by his predecessor, Nhlanhla Nene makes concessions.

South Africa should prepare itself for possibly yet another tax increase as SARS struggles to raise enough revenue.

Finance committee chairperson, Yunus Carrim, said: “Most of us in different ways are aware of the desperate need to raise additional revenue… You know with the increases in fuel prices and job losses, the committee is very ill at ease about the VAT increase”, the committee said.
https://www.enca.com/business/sa-faces-tax-increase-sars-battles-raise-revenue

Visser

Expert Member
I said this before and will say it again. It is not about SARS's abilities to raise revenue. It is all about the tax payers, investors and companies who already fled the country, and thousands more in the process to leave. You can raise your VAT and Taxes to 10,000% this will make no difference. Your income is dwindling. Your economy has collapsed. Accept this and move on.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I said this before and will say it again. It is not about SARS's abilities to raise revenue. It is all about the tax payers, investors and companies who already fled the country, and thousands more in the process to leave. You can raise your VAT and Taxes to 10,000% this will make no difference. Your income is dwindling. Your economy has collapsed. Accept this and move on.
Except of course that is not the whole picture, but it doesn't suit your world view.... Yes the smaller boys are scaling back or closing, medium sized and larger companies are generally holding steady.

requiem

Expert Member
Surely they should lower taxes, to bring about investment and growth which will lead to increased revenue.

The path they are on will never work

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
The middle class is already past the point of being able to pay more tax and our arseholes cant be stretched any further.
More tax will mean taking food of our tables as there is nothing more we can cut back on.
/awaits dumbass trying to tell you "you don't know how to work with your money"

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Surely they should lower taxes, to bring about investment and growth which will lead to increased revenue.

The path they are on will never work
They've never shown an intent to get something working long-term, the only thing that matters is getting as large a scoop from the gravy train as possible right now.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Chances of the ANC taxing and governing SA in to a revolution?

Fuel hikes, tax hikes, electricity hikes, impending collapse of SOEs and a job bloodbath, inflation, all this happening can lead to the people finally saying enough.

Hellhound105

Yeah, increase tax, so that I can pay for some dumbass 16 year old with 2 kids while I have none.
Increase tax so that I can pay for someones RDP house while I have to rent.

So sick of this africanacity ****

OCP

Expert Member

Fuel hikes, tax hikes, electricity hikes, impending collapse of SOEs and a job bloodbath, inflation, all this happening can lead to the people finally saying enough.
I think we are close - everyone is battling and past the point of willing to accept any further taxes.
The bigger questions is - does the country collectively have the balls to stand up to government?

Visser

Expert Member

Won't happen. It is only a handful of people actually paying for this, you and me included. The other 50 million people gets everything for free. No need for them to join any revolution.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I think we are close - everyone is battling and past the point of willing to accept any further taxes.
The bigger questions is - does the country collectively have the balls to stand up to government?
Honestly, I believe we'll reach that point if/when government as an employer fails. If SAA, SABC, Eskom, the whole lot start shedding jobs the unions may then do something.

Unfortunately, I don't want to live in a country where the ideology favoured by unions wins out.