SA Festival of Motoring

Sepeng

Expert Member
Hmm, will do some more research on this but looks interesting, might take the kid.

Kerrits

Don't go, it's crap :D

I've already put in my leave for the Friday. Last year I got hot laps in the Focus RS and Merc GT.
Drove the Go, merc E200, smart something and Mini cooper S, and then passenger during the test drive time slot in the BMW 340i, Jag XJ and Go. Oh, and the boring as hell Jetta.

Why so much time in the Go? Short queues, and they didn't impose the same speed limit nonsense as the others and the instructor went all out. It felt as if the thing would flip in the corners. Great, albeit slow, fun. Tilt tilt tilt, tiny jump skid... tilt tilt tilt... tiny jump skid :D
In the corners I caught up to (and was held up by) the the A250 in front of me, but obviously he pulled away in the straights.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Don't go, it's crap :D

I've already put in my leave for the Friday. Last year I got hot laps in the Focus RS and Merc GT.
Drove the Go, merc E200, smart something and Mini cooper S, and then passenger during the test drive time slot in the BMW 340i, Jag XJ and Go. Oh, and the boring as hell Jetta.

Why so much time in the Go? Short queues, and they didn't impose the same speed limit nonsense as the others and the instructor went all out. It felt as if the thing would flip in the corners. Great, albeit slow, fun. Tilt tilt tilt, tiny jump skid... tilt tilt tilt... tiny jump skid :D
In the corners I caught up to (and was held up by) the the A250 in front of me, but obviously he pulled away in the straights.

Are you allowed to take a passenger with you on the laps like your child?

Kerrits

With the hot laps there are a bunch of people in the queue which just get into the cars as it is their turn. I think kids are allowed, but I'm not sure. I was there on a weekday, so there were obviously fewer kids.

For the test drives other people can come along if they want. I distinctly remember a kid along for the ride in one of the instructor driven cars.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Joburg revving up for SA Motoring Experience

The organisers of the 2017 WesBank SA Motoring Experience are already revving up the content for this must-see show, which will take place at the Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit from September 1-3.

The SA Festival of Motoring is hosting this event, which is the only industry-endorsed motor show on the local calendar for 2017.

“We learned many valuable lessons through feedback from visitors and exhibitors when we staged the first South African Festival of Motoring at Kyalami last year,” commented Konstantin von Vieregge, the CEO of Johannesburg-based SA Shows Messe Frankfurt.

“Messe Frankfurt has formalised its global partnership with the organisers of the Goodwood Festival of Speed to assist in sourcing attractive content for our show. We believe the combination of Messe Frankfurt’s show expertise and the flair of the Goodwood team will ensure a most memorable experience at the country’s prime motoring venue.

“The experiential and hands-on elements worked particularly well for the visitors according to our research during last year’s Festival, so there will be greater focus on these types of activity this year,” added Von Vieregge.

“Several leading vehicle manufacturers and distributors are arranging some innovative, first-hand activations of their own. In addition, while our team from SA Shows Messe Frankfurt will be responsible many aspects of the show, including test-drives around the famous race track, off-road driving experiences at the improved 4x4 course.

This year the off-road activity area will have its own, dedicated catering as well as display stands for those companies involved in eh ride-and-drive.”

The handling track will not be confined to one manufacturer this year which will result in more variety for visitors to this facility. Super car experiences on the track will again be a high priority item, as well as controlled access to the action-packed pit area.

A major attraction this year will be a competition for elite classic cars where the owners are invited by the show organisers to enter specific cars.

The competition will include not only rare cars, but South African motorsport legends and cars which have a unique place in local motoring history. This event will be organised by Will Kinsmen, the Head of Content at the legendary Goodwood Festival of Speed in the United Kingdom.

As a bonus, the Johannesburg Boat and Water Show is being co-hosted at Kyalami over the same period as the SA Motoring Experience.

Ticket prices range from R10 for children under 12 to R75 for those under 18 and R150 for adults, with free parking and access to all activities.

Admission tickets are already available from the iTickets website. Gates will open at 10h00 on Friday and 09h00 on both Saturday and Sunday and will close at 19h00 on Friday, 20h00 on Saturday and 18h00 on Sunday.

Visit www.safestivalofmotoring.com for more info.

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry-news/joburg-revving-up-for-sa-motoring-experience-10878074

eg2505

Honorary Master
enjoyed the last one a lot,
including seeing a datsun go rally car......

went on the toyota jump thing, mad mad driving in a yaris.......
the merc a220 was crazy,

but for me was one of the lucky ones to go in the Lambo hurrican
takes the 1st corner at 180 KM/H, at that speed the speedo changed and said something coudnt read what it said....

got to drive only 2 cars, the mini JCW auto and a BMW 120M
was a bit tricky for me, having never driven an auto car before,

FiestaST

Honorary Master
7 hot exotics to see at the SA Motoring Experience…

The South African Motoring Experience will take place at the Kyalami Grand Prix circuit from 1-3 September, with seven particularly interesting vehicles set to be on display in the so-called “Supercar Area”.

Head over to the John Love Launch Area of the main pit building on any of the three days and you’ll find a Lamborghini Aventador S, a McLaren 570S, an Aston Martin DB11, a Mercedes-Benz AMG GTC, an Audi R8, one of only two examples of the Bentley Continental Supersports currently in SA and an as-yet unidentified Porsche (our money’s on the new 911 GT3).

Besides being on static display and having their engines started now and then, a handful of these cars will also take to the track during the three days of the show.

Show organiser SA Shows Messe Frankfurt says lovers of veteran, vintage and classic cars will also be catered for, with “more than 140” examples on show courtesy of various club members. Special models set to be on display will include a 1989 Lancia Delta HF Integrale, an Alpine A310, a DKW Junior and an “immaculate” 1959 two-door Chevrolet Impala.

In addition, a number of “iconic displays” will pay tribute to the history of South African motorsport.

Tickets for the show are available at iTickets.co.za, for R150 per adult if booked online. CAR magazine will run the CAR Digital Dealer Conference at the event as well (find details and a registration page here).

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/7-hot-exotics-to-see-at-the-sa-motoring-experience/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Best of old and new at Kyalami this weekend

Show visitors will be able to experience cars, including Mercedes-AMG’s exciting line up, on the Kyalami circuit.
Johannesburg - It will be a petrolheads’ paradise at the Kyalami Grand Prix circuit from Friday until Sunday when the WesBank SA Motoring Experience lays on an array of the latest models as well as classics of the past.

A highlight of the show will be a display of supercars including the Lamborghini Aventador S Coupe, McLaren 570S, Aston Martin DB11, Mercedes-Benz AMG GTC, Audi R8, and special models from Porsche and Bentley. Besides being on static display and having their engines started now and again, some of these cars will take to the track during the three days of the show.

Tickets available at iTickets.co.za cost R150 per adult, R75 for children under 18, and R10 for children under 12. For no extra charge visitors will have opportunities to experience test drives in various cars from 20 manufacturers around the circuit, either self- or professionally-driven.

Some of the new vehicles making their South African debuts at the show include the Mercedes-AMG GT C 50th Edition, the new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, and the BAIC X25 SUV, to name a few. Other drawcards include the recently-launched VW Golf R and Golf GTD, Land Rover Discovery, and updated Jaguar F-Type. Visitors will also be able to experience the capability of South Africa’s leading 4x4 vehicles on Kyalami’s offroad track.

Then, for the lovers of veteran, vintage, and classic cars there will be a wide variety on display, and visitors will be able to move among the cars and engage with the enthusiastic owners.

There will also be displays paying tribute to South African motorsport history with cars like the Group 1 BMW 745i, Ford Sierra XR8, Alfa Romeo GTV 3-litre, and Ford Capri Perana V8. Not just the cars will be remembered but drivers too; Sarel van der Merwe’s 50 years of racing locally and overseas will be celebrated in a display that pays tribute to the career of a true South African icon.

The Mercedes-AMG Performance Tour celebrates 50 Years of performance driving at the show, where fans will have an opportunity to experience cars like the AMG GT S, AMG GT R, AMG GT C and the E 63 S sedan in hot laps by the AMG Driving Academy team.

There will be dedicated Gautrain shuttle services to and from the Festival via the Gautrain Midrand Station.Show times are 10am-7pm on Friday, 9am-8pm on Saturday, and 9am-6pm on Sunday. For more information visit www.safestivalofmotoring.com

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry-news/best-of-old-and-new-at-kyalami-this-weekend-11019950

FiestaST

Honorary Master
You not going?

I'm downloading a new camera app for my iPhone 7 just for the occasion.
Not feasible to fly to Jozi from Cape Town just for the event sadly.

If you're looking for a solid 3rd party iPhoney Camera App I could advise the well known ProCam 4 or Camera+.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Not feasible to fly to Jozi from Cape Town just for the event sadly.

If you're looking for a solid 3rd party iPhoney Camera App I could advise the well known ProCam 4 or Camera+.
Thanks, will download both. It's 3 days, you're on the motor industry...it's work dammit!