SA has run out of taxpayers, says Dawie Roodt

Swa

Honorary Master
I kinda don't really get your point here. What are you arguing about?

Who pays the public sector salaries? The government.
Who collects the PAYE that public sector employees? The government.

So essentially what happens is that the government pays its employees, who immediately return a portion of their income to the government in the form of PAYE. Later, they return more of it through VAT.
He's arguing that it's not returning a portion but rather paying tax like the rest. That is only true technically and not practically.

D tj

Expert Member
CommonSense's comments re paying of tax/ PAYE are much like a magician who pulls a red flower out of thin air, makes it disappear , and repeats this x 100....he has not produced 100 flowers.
Because you see PAYE and other taxes being paid it does not mean it actually is so, just that an appearance.

Very careful study of a problem is required to prevent a misdiagnoses of the fix, this applies to all would be fixers: doctors, mechanics, detectives etc.

First you have a very small community, when it gets large enough, it may have some members take on civic tasks to help the better functioning of the community.
Later if it has grown large enough they my elect to have some fulfil these civic needs full-time as the work load is too much for part-timers and to this end these would be looked after (paid) by the community.
The community does this via taxes, tithe whatever you call it.

Simply put: every body not adding to the upliftment of the community is a drain on that community...
This country has many freeloading.....Using communal services and assets without contributing.

ConfusedR

21 Days have passed a long time ago and I'm still waiting for my tax refund......
It is very easy for the ANC to take my tax money and give it to their cadres and give it to freeloaders but when I am due a tax refund, NOTHING happens.

kfc4unme

Tax payers are disappearing quickly. Very scary.
c2b7d90540d6061efcff873f20b70383.jpg

kfc4unme

In the linked twitter message UCT Liberty Institute said to ignore this, as they don't have a report like this yet. They are still waiting for more data as the sources from the two data sets are not complete and are waiting for more data. So maybe don't spread it, till it is done.
My bad

MickeyDangerez

Mr Roodt forgot everyone pays VAT, so this fallacy that only certain people pay tax is absurd.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Mr Roodt forgot everyone pays VAT, so this fallacy that only certain people pay tax is absurd.
VAT makes up about 25% of tax income and most of is coming from income tax payers. The dirt poor/economic "leaches" survive on a lot of VAT free items.

You can try spin it anyway you want but the decreasing personal income tax base is still much larger at 38% and combined with company income tax it is 55% of the country's income.

And don't forget, as the income tax paying people leave they are taking their VAT, Dividend tax, fuel levy and much more with them and not just income tax.

Thor

Honorary Master
VAT makes up about 25% of tax income and most of is coming from income tax payers. The dirt poor/economic "leaches" survive on a lot of VAT free items.

You can try spin it anyway you want but the decreasing personal income tax base is still much larger at 38% and combined with company income tax it is 55% of the country's income.

And don't forget, as the income tax paying people leave they are taking their VAT, Dividend tax, fuel levy and much more with them and not just income tax.
Post of the year.

People need to get this into their Fkcing minds.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator

QFT

MickeyDangerez

What you mean to tell me poor people only eat and buy the following items...

Below is a full list of all VAT-exempt items:

• dried beans
  • samp
  • maize meal
  • rice
  • brown bread
  • vegetables
  • fruits
  • vegetable oil
  • mealie rice
  • pilchards in tins
  • edible legumes and pulses of leguminous plants
  • eggs
  • milk
  • dried mealies
  • dairy powder blend
  • lentils
  • cultured milk
  • milk powder
  • brown wheaten meal
  • sanitary pads
  • bread flour
  • cake flour
Its missing booze because it is taxed, which the poor is the majority of the consumers.

Swa

Honorary Master
What did they expect would happen when they constantly oppress and chase away our best talent? One day, this country will look like The Walking Dead.
The irony. A lot of the talent that BEE managed to produce are also taking their skills with them in search of greener pastures.

How much of the informal sector serving 40m poor people pays VAT?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
What you mean to tell me poor people only eat and buy the following items...

Below is a full list of all VAT-exempt items:

• dried beans
  • samp
  • maize meal
  • rice
  • brown bread
  • vegetables
  • fruits
  • vegetable oil
  • mealie rice
  • pilchards in tins
  • edible legumes and pulses of leguminous plants
  • eggs
  • milk
  • dried mealies
  • dairy powder blend
  • lentils
  • cultured milk
  • milk powder
  • brown wheaten meal
  • sanitary pads
  • bread flour
  • cake flour
Its missing booze because it is taxed, which the poor is the majority of the consumers.
What I'm telling you is the VAT one cadre pays for a new Merc every other year is more than the VAT paid by an entire family living in a shack per annum.

Not sure how else to explain fractions and relativity to you.

EDIT: are spaza shops VAT registered vendors?