SA in “serious trouble” if e-toll debt not paid: Sanral

Jola

Honorary Master
Nope, some people / parties need to learn some lessons.

Pitbull

Verboten
SA in “serious trouble” if e-toll debt not paid: Sanral

South Africa would be in ‘serious trouble’ if the existing e-tolling debt was not settled, SA National Roads Agency Limited told the e-toll review panel in Pretoria on Wednesday

Alli said the e-tolling project in Gauteng cost around R20 billion. The State, however, gave them only R10b per year.

He said they could have used the budget they received over two years but the roads would have been impossible to maintain.

“That would have meant we can’t maintain a single millimetre of the road,” said Alli.

The transport department and Sanral on Wednesday proceeded with presenting their submissions to the panel, explaining why e-tolling was necessary.

Wait am I reading this correctly? There was a budget for the R 20bn at R 10bn per year? So it will be settled in 2 years with the government budget? wtf is the problem? Something is missing somewhere.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Wait am I reading this correctly? There was a budget for the R 20bn at R 10bn per year? So it will be settled in 2 years with the government budget? wtf is the problem? Something is missing somewhere.

oinkers have deep and nasty pocketses which must be kept lined at all costs...

Lazy

Let me understand this right, you waste R20 billion and now you claim that unless someone else settles that bill we're all in trouble? I'd frankly rather be in trouble than keep handing out more of my hard earned cash to fat cats.

IzZzy

Executive Member

I think it means SANRAL receives state funding to the tune of R10bn per year. The etolls project cost R20bn, and SANRAL still has other road projects to fund i.e. the state funding is not enough.

cerebus

Honorary Master
[video=youtube;yFeWw2YFXlM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFeWw2YFXlM&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
And now we get to the crux of the matter. SANRAL and co made some bad business choices.
And now they are in deep ****.
Like I said - 'Sorry, but you have to pay. We don't have any choice. nothing personal, its just business.'

Well.
The personal, as everyone's so ****ing fond of saying, is political. So if some idiot politician, some power player, tries to execute policies that harm you or those you care about, take it personally. Get angry. The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs, hardware and soft-. Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; the creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin. If you want justice, you will have to claw it from them. Make it personal. Do as much damage as you can. Get your message across. That way you stand a far better chance of being taken seriously next time. Of being considered dangerous. And make no mistake about this: being taken seriously, being considered dangerous, marks the difference – the only difference in their eyes – between players and little people. Players they will make deals with. Little people they liquidate. And time and again they cream your liquidation, your displacement, your torture and brutal execution with the ultimate insult that it's just business, it's politics, it's the way of the world, it's a tough life, and that it's nothing personal. Well, **** them. Make it personal.

Things I Should Have Learnt by Now, Volume II

furpile

Expert Member

The R10bn is Sanral's budget for the entire country for the year. So yes, they could have done the GFIP over two years, but that would have meant no maintenance or upgrades anywhere else in the country for those two years. However, the GFIP was supposed to cost R7bn initially, so it would have been much more plausible, never mind thinking of how much extra cost the etolling alone added.

Now, if you look at the etoll threads and the numbers involved, the government gets about R40bn a year from fuel levies. Why is only R10bn actually being spent (hopefully) on roads? Some of it also goes to the RAF, but the rest goes into the general budget, to be wasted (R30bn a year currently I think?). So adding 10c more to the fuel price could pay the GFIP off in a few years, then that same fuel levy could pay for the Cape highway upgrades currently being planned, and so on. Or they can just use the current fuel levy to pay for road maintenance.

furpile

Expert Member
And now we get to the crux of the matter. SANRAL and co made some bad business choices.
And now they are in deep ****.
Like I said - 'Sorry, but you have to pay. We don't have any choice. nothing personal, its just business.'

Well.

Except the government backed their bonds, so if Sanral can't pay, we will pay. The money must come from somewhere unfortunately. It's not like Sanral can go bankrupt and the debt is written off.

maeztro

“There is no new money,” said Sanral CEO Nazir Alli.

Some truth from Mr Nazi Ralli. Didn't see it on my paycheck last month, not this month, don't anticipate any next month.

Pitbull

Verboten
I think it means SANRAL receives state funding to the tune of R10bn per year. The etolls project cost R20bn, and SANRAL still has other road projects to fund i.e. the state funding is not enough.

Now that makes more sense.

That being said, budgeting would have gotten the upgrades to the highways for free. There is huge amounts of wastage that needs to be accounted for. Anyone driven through Mpumalanga lately? The roads are none existent. From my limited understanding SANRAL only manages the toll roads on SA roads. Which the N1 wasn't before this crap.

kianm

Honorary Master
Trying to make their f*c* ups the whole country's problem, I say no. Deal with it Naziri Nazi

Cloud

Expert Member
Lock them up. Nothing like some serious jail time to get people to do their jobs properly.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Not sure how Government, the DOT or Sanral ever thought that people would willingly be fleeced. So the "if people don't pay" thing is a bit of a farce.

This kind of rhetoric is not get people sobbing, repenting and flocking to pay.

If they had listened to the public in the first place, they wouldn't be in this situation now.