SA mom a suspect in killing of 3 children in New Zealand

konfab

Honorary Master
I never said anything about this case specifically - I was talking about how it's framed as mental health issues vs criminal savagery depending on the race and class of the perpetrator. I've no idea if the woman in this story has mental health issues or not, just like I've no idea if the woman who threw her child in a pit toilet had mental health issues or not - I only see how it's reported on and talked about - rich, white people more likely to get the "must be mental health issues, shame poor perpetrator" treatment, while poor, black people get the "****in savages, should be given the death sentence" treatment. <shrug>

You are overanalysing it imo.

There is a very simple reason why you see news like this being treated differently than a mother tossing their child down a pit toilet. It is because it is less likely to happen. The less likely something happens, the more newsworthy it becomes if it happens.

A simple analogy: What would generate more news in SA? Sunny weather or a snowstorm?

Gyre

Expert Member
You are overanalysing it imo.

There is a very simple reason why you see news like this being treated differently than a mother tossing their child down a pit toilet. It is because it is less likely to happen. The less likely something happens, the more newsworthy it becomes if it happens.

A simple analogy: What would generate more news in SA? Sunny weather or a snowstorm?

Another analogy could be which would surprise you more, people condemning a murderer or sympathizing with the murderer?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

The South African woman accused of killing her three daughters at their home in New Zealand will plead not guilty.

Lauren Dickason was supposed to appear in the High Court at Timaru, Canterbury, on Friday but did not attend – in person or via audio visual link – as she is still admitted at the Hillmorton Hospital in Christchurch.

The court was told that both the defence and the prosecution are arranging independent psychiatric reports, according to a report in Stuff.

On 5 October, the High Court in Christchurch heard more time was needed for her health assessment. A trial date was also set for March 2023.

lexity

Expert Member
Look at the headline: 'both defense and prosecution arranging independent psychiatric reports'... so a unanimous decision, on drug manufacturers as pure as the driven snow, is all but guaranteed.

How powerful are these drugs?

Can they induce suicidal ideation? How about aggression? Anxiety?

I guess you have to ask the question.....what drugs was she on?

Most people who go ape - mass shootings - have a record of psychiatric drug use.

We can talk
about responsibility for taking 'medication/treatment'.... but let's hear it.... the name of the drug, please.

krycor

Honorary Master
Look at the headline: 'both defense and prosecution arranging independent psychiatric reports'... so a unanimous decision, on drug manufacturers as pure as the driven snow, is all but guaranteed.

How powerful are these drugs?

Can they induce suicidal ideation? How about aggression? Anxiety?

I guess you have to ask the question.....what drugs was she on?

Most people who go ape - mass shootings - have a record of psychiatric drug use.

We can talk
about responsibility for taking 'medication/treatment'.... but let's hear it.... the name of the drug, please.

Yes but if they they Muslim they a terrorist if they white they insane. Apparently insane Muslim people don’t exist albeit asking around people will tell you some okes are insane haha..

lexity

Expert Member
Yes but if they they Muslim they a terrorist if they white they insane. Apparently insane Muslim people don’t exist albeit asking around people will tell you some okes are insane haha..
Very astute observation.

As religion was separated from State, something took its place.... that something was the new legal power to override judicial verdict i.e. Mental Health law.

Gyre

Expert Member
Saw her again in the news now, the bitch is pleading not guilty?

ponder

Honorary Master
Who else killed her kids?

She did. Does not mean culpability and she also has a right to a fair trial. What do you propose, force her to plead guilty, lock her up and throw away the keys? Who needs a courts...

Gyre

Expert Member
She did. Does not mean culpability and she also has a right to a fair trial. What do you propose, force her to plead guilty, lock her up and throw away the keys? Who needs a courts...

Not forcing her to plead anything, it's obvious she is guilty. What is the trial going to determine? That she killed her kids less violently? That they're less dead? The only thing they should determine is that if she should go to prison or a psych ward for the rest of her life.