SA operators giving your cellphone information to the NSA?

Necuno

Court Jester
Communications and Provision of Communication-related Information Act is not rica.

Rica is: Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-related Information.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
the suggestion that MNOs could cooperate with a foreign intelligence agency is a little misguided simply because of the size of the exercise and the problems it would create.

I am quite sure the MNOs except for Vodacom are working on the basis that they should not comment on RICA and VCs reply really amounts to "if the NSA gets SA intelligence to get a RICA warrant they will get the realtime interception and if they get the authorities to get a s205 CPA warrant they will have the information"

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So... it is the NSA whom provide my details to the spammers in return...

BeVonk!

Executive Member
The response from Vodacom is in line with what can be expected from any reputable MNO in any country with good legal systems. I'm sure MTN and CellC will state the same. US and European MNO's will make similar statements ... "There are these laws/regulations and we abide by them". Yet the NSA still gathers all the info it wants despite the assurances from the MNO's that they play by the rules. There must be another parallel system not dependant on these serie (request, evaluation, supply) connections.

LinuxMan

Expert Member
SMS spam has increased over the past two months, I'm sure I am not the only one...

optel

A few fools that use whatsapp gave my "15 year old" cell phone number to the nsa.

Danny Mash

I think b4 we can accuse the SPs or any 1, we must first understand how does this spying occurs. Is there any 1 here who can share light on how SPs operate n how secure their network is from outside threat?

Necuno

Court Jester
I think b4 we can accuse the SPs or any 1, we must first understand how does this spying occurs. Is there any 1 here who can share light on how SPs operate n how secure their network is from outside threat?

I'd suggest English classes first.

krycor

Honorary Master
The response from Vodacom is in line with what can be expected from any reputable MNO in any country with good legal systems. I'm sure MTN and CellC will state the same. US and European MNO's will make similar statements ... "There are these laws/regulations and we abide by them". Yet the NSA still gathers all the info it wants despite the assurances from the MNO's that they play by the rules. There must be another parallel system not dependant on these serie (request, evaluation, supply) connections.

True.. they ALL have legal obligations due the many ways cell phones could be abused to do all sorts of nasty (not even talking about content). That being said, look at the GSM stuff SIM encryption stuff, RSA Key encoding etc and you see that if i recall correctly there was a backdoor found that they knew about and kept quite for use.. until mainstream becomes aware and then move to more secure ways or so public is told.

In the end there will always be this kind of espionage when big businesses are intertwined the way they are in the Us wrt tech advancement

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Is there proof that NSA is spying on local networks? Or is it only the international hub traffic they pull? I would think that if you make a call overseas and it'fs routed through some NSA controlled point they can record it, but calling Poffadder from Bloem is not going to incur that, surely?

chrisc

Executive Member
They can have my address by all means, just give me a ring

Danny Mash

Necuno 'wat' ever your name is, 'u' need 2 take English Classes too 2 learn how read. Surely u cant. 'Wats' wrong with my English?

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Necuno 'wat' ever your name is, 'u' need 2 take English Classes too 2 learn how read. Surely u cant. 'Wats' wrong with my English?

You need to get something like TapaTalk so you'll be able to write in full sentences on the forum, and then have a cool signature at the end of each post "Posted with Tapatalk". :)

Necuno

Court Jester

Must be that grade nine Angie Motshekga warned us about...

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Don't be stupid. This is just King Snowden seeking fame and fortune, yet again.