SA pays R26m of Liberian debt

South Africa's tax system is a free piggy bank for Africa. Yes or No?

• No

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Shuffle

well, colonization is what most of the African governments blame the poverty and problems in their countries on

Yes, I am a nice person, I'd rather help South Africans than Liberians
if you need R100 to survive over a day and you have R1000, wouldn't you give your poor neighbour R23? Liberia is the neighbour in this case and you are S.A.

protzkrog

Expert Member
protzkrog : Cool. So you cannot understand that the poor in Liberia are much worse off than the poor in SA, and that people might want to help them out a bit. Ok
Our government's first responsibility is to all people of South Africa, to help them as much as possible

until we have crime, education and employment under control we should not spend money on other countries problems.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Rad. The concept of charity means nothing to you.
If people had to earn it, then it is a wage. Not charity

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
You people are all missing the point, its all well and good to help Liberia, and R26million is but a drop in the ocean of what we have, but our stupid guavamint should rather be paying attention to the problems in its OWN yard before trying to fix anyone elses......

fivelza

Expert Member
You people are all missing the point, its all well and good to help Liberia, and R26million is but a drop in the ocean of what we have, but our stupid guavamint should rather be paying attention to the problems in its OWN yard before trying to fix anyone elses......
A simple EFT surely is not that time consuming :rolleyes:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
fivelza : But you know this guavamint, nothing gets done that way... its packed into suitcases, flown over on the Presidents jet, with 3 or 4 extra planes for the entourage so there can be an SA funded ceremony.... :)

JStrike

Honorary Master
ToxicBunny : Fair enough. But I dont think government is ignoring our own problems. And donating R26m shouldn't distract them from the task at hand

fivelza

Expert Member
fivelza : But you know this guavamint, nothing gets done that way... its packed into suitcases, flown over on the Presidents jet, with 3 or 4 extra planes for the entourage so there can be an SA funded ceremony.... :)
I believe they use little brown bags ;)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
JStrike : of course our guavamint is ignoring our problems... Crime is spiraling out of control, our infrastructure is crumbling, our telecommunications are pathetic... need i go on? Its not necessarily the donation that will distract them, its the gloating and general all round backpatting that will distract them.

fivelza : oh, yeah, sorry I forgot.... I just prefer suitcases cos they have a lock on them usually. ;)

LoneGunman

Expert Member
re the poll, I hit the wrong button it seems - I thought it was asking
'Is SA a piggy bank for the rest of Africa'/'Should SA be a piggy bank for the rest of Africa' - naturally I said NO.. then saw the results, and realized either I'm surrounded by idiots, or I AM one :)
(Or perhaps, the person who worded the poll needs to be a little clearer).

fivelza

Expert Member
JStrike : of course our guavamint is ignoring our problems... Crime is spiraling out of control, our infrastructure is crumbling, our telecommunications are pathetic... need i go on? Its not necessarily the donation that will distract them, its the gloating and general all round backpatting that will distract them.
The point is though that money on its own will not address your valid concerns.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Syndyre : No country, anywhere, ever, will have no problems. Or even major problems for that matter. So why, when what is required to fix out problems, isn't 26m, cant we help out a country that is so desparately poor compared to us?
True but Mbeki generally seems to be trying to uplift the rest of Africa at our expense. Fact is R26m could make a big difference here, even if only to a limited number of people.

fivelza

Expert Member
True but Mbeki generally seems to be trying to uplift the rest of Africa at our expense. Fact is R26m could make a big difference here, even if only to a limited number of people.
But it will make a bigger difference for Liberia.

Last edited:

Shuffle

it's like taking R1 out of 1m and saying i could have done something with that R1, when there is still R999 999, R1 doesn't mean a thing.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
No, it won't on its own address the concerns or make a difference country wide, but in a localised area it could make a HUGE difference.,

BobbyMac

Expert Member
protzkrog : Cool. So you cannot understand that the poor in Liberia are much worse off than the poor in SA, and that people might want to help them out a bit. Ok
Hang on a second dude. Protzkrog is entitled to his opinion as it is a portion of his tax money being used to bail Liberia out. Me as a tax payer would much rather see the tax money being spent here where it is sorely needed. If we didn't have serious problems in this country then by all means, pay the debt. But let's face it, we're not as rich as we seem. Let's be honest here, 26 Million is a lot of money - it can build several hundred RDP houses - or a school or two, or new equipment for a hospital, or at least some new equipment for the coppers.

Shuffle

No, it won't on its own address the concerns or make a difference country wide, but in a localised area it could make a HUGE difference.,
the money is available, what lacks is the structure, plan and stratergy, that's what we should be concerned about rather than the 26m.