SA Post Office – The truth behind its massive backlog and delivery delays

Drifter

Honorary Master
Well, I can testify work was done to clear the backlog. Was waiting for parcels for ages, and then they all arrived in a space of two weeks. That is evidence that something did happen at least.

Jola

Honorary Master
The SA Post Office, in comparison, is slower than the Cursus Publicus, the state-run courier and transportation service of the Roman Empire 2,000 years ago.

The Roman Empire’s delivery service used light carriages and fast horses to transport messages and tax revenues from one province to another.

The average speed of a messenger over the Roman road system was estimated to be around 50-80km per day.

It is estimated that it took the Cursus Publicus around 63 days to deliver a message from Rome to Egypt (Alexandria).

Fast forward 2,000 years, and even with excellent roads, fast cars, and computer systems, SAPO cannot deliver a letter between two Post Offices in Gauteng within two months.
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/government/281129-it-took-the-sa-post-office-81-days-to-deliver-a-letter-which-should-take-only-3-days.html

This is Africa ...

Drifter

Honorary Master
I found quite interesting the number of parcels arriving SA on a daily basis.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Poor Mark Barnes. He thought a hotshot private sector manager could sort out the Poskantoor.

It's just not possible under the current regime, for all sorts of obvious and complicated reasons.
Ja, the first thing is he needs to be able to take drastic action when finding truly critical issues which was always tricky in the olde days and now, with all the parties that must be "consulted first" must be virtually impossible.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Postal services, just like health, transport, power, water and sewerage services are exactly what governments exist for.
The comms needs for Joe Soap have not changed all that much.

Okty

Apart from operational problems like the strike and not paying their service providers, the Post Office has also seen a big increase in international mail.

“We have a lot of low-value items that require high maintenance work like going through customs and checking invoice values,” said Barnes.

Barnes said the SA Post Office’s international mail volumes have increased by 400% over the last year, but that they have not invested in the systems capabilities to match this increase.
And this is basically the main reason, not the strike. Post office is not geared to handle the exploded growth over the past few years from people buying crap from Wish, Alibaba etc.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Well, I can testify work was done to clear the backlog. Was waiting for parcels for ages, and then they all arrived in a space of two weeks. That is evidence that something did happen at least.
Lucky you, I'm still waiting for my parcels. Some iphone covers from aliexpress

Jola

Honorary Master
And this is basically the main reason, not the strike. Post office is not geared to handle the exploded growth over the past few years from people buying crap from Wish, Alibaba etc.
Most other developed countries like Australia, Canada, UK, USA, don't charge customs duties on small parcels, thereby avoiding this trap.

There is no excuse, this is just incompetence on a grand scale.

#ProudlyBroughtByANC

FaSMaN

Expert Member
The trap that they set themselves is simple, they can make it more efficient by automating the entire process, this will also solve the strike problems, but doing so will cause the staff to strike grinding any progress to a hault, damned if you do and damned if you dont.

But how about they start with the basics, install metal detectors CCTV cameras, and security checks to get rid of the people stealing.

Jola

Honorary Master
On a totally unrelated note, one cannot but wonder of some lessons can't be drawn from the dilemma facing Natal sugarcane farmers in the late 19th C. Probably not.
You have me interested, I'm sure that the sugarcane farmers had lots of problems, what are you referring to ?

dunkyd

Expert Member
...and returning most of them...........

lkswan747

Mark Barnes is a blatant liar as I have sent numerous emails to SAPO and have yet to receive a response. Take your head out of the sand (or from somewhere else) and look around to see what is happening in your organisation Mr Barnes! How convenient that the line dropped during his interview! Oh, how I love the service in this country!!