SA Post Office – The truth behind its massive backlog and delivery delays

McT

The Humble Scot!
Barnes said he was not aware of the test conducted by MyBroadband and accused Joseph of making “very sweeping statements”.

The telephone connection with Barnes was then lost, and the interview could not continue.

This is the usual way in which Barnes does handles matters. He comes across arrogant, aloof and out of touch with reality. When he finds himself in a corner, he starts shifting blame and/or spinning. And then the connection "fails".

Second such call with Joseph where in climbed up on his lofty soapbox and got shirty ... and the connectiion "failed" :unsure:

Considering he was supposed to be the saviour to the SAPO, on the face of it, he appears to be failing miserably.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
It's painfully clear that the chump is completely unsuitable for the job and totally inept. In any other developed country, he would probably only manage to hold down some menial job but this is the way our SOE's roll. With the typical African mentality, the country can never develop and be taken seriously.

Jola

Honorary Master
It's painfully clear that the chump is completely unsuitable for the job. In any other developed country, he would probably only manage to hold down some menial job but this is the way our SOE's roll. With the typical African mentality, the country can never develop and be taken seriously.

Barnes is actually highly qualified, and in the old days held some serious positions in Standard Bank Capital Markets, and other organisations.

However, that was in a professional environment, IMO he is not up to the demands of a relatively unskilled and adversarial environment (ie the unions) such as the SA Post Office.

But to be fair, I am not sure that anyone could sort out the SAPO. Maybe the Romans, but only under threat of regular decimation.

The ANC/Unions have complicated labour relations in this country to such an extent that nothing really works anymore.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Most other developed countries like Australia, Canada, UK, USA, don't charge customs duties on small parcels, thereby avoiding this trap.

There is no excuse, this is just incompetence on a grand scale.

#ProudlyBroughtByANC
Actually since 1 July 2018 Australia did start charging GST on all imports to Australia. Larger companies have to collect it on behalf of the Australian government- banggood, AliExpress, Amazon, Netflix, wish, eBay, etc all collect it while smaller overseas companies don't collect it the government expects buyers to declare and pay for themselves.
Previously anything under $1000AUD was GST free import.
There is also a proposal for next year (1 July 2019) to charge a fixed rate of like $4AUD per package as a handling fee because of the large demand placed on sevices by all the small packages from the far East. Everyone is up in arms saying it's just another tax revenue stream.

Okty

Expert Member
People need to stop using the Post Office so that it can die a natural death.

Like the SABC, SAA, Eskom et al? Not likely to die, the good ol taxpayer is there for bailouts/assistance.

Visser

Expert Member
Mark Barnes and the Post Office is lying. If the backlog was not worked down by now, it will also not be worked down by end November. Festive season mail has already been shipped months before. The workload with increase a million times.

They are incapable of delivering a mail service.

Jola

Honorary Master
This is the usual way in which Barnes does handles matters. He comes across arrogant, aloof and out of touch with reality. When he finds himself in a corner, he starts shifting blame and/or spinning. And then the connection "fails".

Second such call with Joseph where in climbed up on his lofty soapbox and got shirty ... and the connectiion "failed" :unsure:

Considering he was supposed to be the saviour to the SAPO, on the face of it, he appears to be failing miserably.

Hmm, was not aware of that.

While a bit problematic in some respects, would be a lot more efficient than what is happening here.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Barnes said he was not aware of the test conducted by MyBroadband and accused Joseph of making “very sweeping statements”.

Joseph highlighted that the test results were in the public domain and reported on, and it can therefore not be viewed as a “sweeping statement”.

The telephone connection with Barnes was then lost, and the interview could not continue.

:ROFL:

Visser

Expert Member

Joseph highlighted that the test results were in the public domain and reported on, and it can therefore not be viewed as a “sweeping statement”.

Why would Barnes know about any issues regarding mail? That eyes, hands, fingers and brains are all focused on grant money......

Swa

Honorary Master
Barnes said the SA Post Office’s international mail volumes have increased by 400% over the last year, but that they have not invested in the systems capabilities to match this increase.
Unbelievable with everybody stopping to use it.

Most other developed countries like Australia, Canada, UK, USA, don't charge customs duties on small parcels, thereby avoiding this trap.

There is no excuse, this is just incompetence on a grand scale.

#ProudlyBroughtByANC
Neither does SA. SAPO is just too useless to handle it so everything keeps piling up in a government warehouse where it then accumulates extra fees. No wonder they started charging even for 1cm2 parcels.

Jola

Honorary Master
Neither does SA. SAPO is just too useless to handle it so everything keeps piling up in a government warehouse where it then accumulates extra fees. No wonder they started charging even for 1cm2 parcels.

My parcels always attract duties, even the low value stuff.

R24 is the minimum, but it is often R100, R200 or much more.

Note : Of course, I often pay nothing - when the parcels disappear !!!

isie

Honorary Master
My parcels always attract duties, even the low value stuff.

R24 is the minimum, but it is often R100, R200 or much more.
the R24 is not Duty (well R26 and some change now) thats the post office charge - Money for nothing for them to be honest now.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Well, I can testify work was done to clear the backlog. Was waiting for parcels for ages, and then they all arrived in a space of two weeks. That is evidence that something did happen at least.

Agreed. I'm also starting to get a whole bunch of old parcels. I'm still rooting for the post office, as there's no comparable organization to take its place. We still need a cheap way to get physical items from around the country and world, and couriers just don't qualify.

Arthur

Honorary Master
You have me interested, I'm sure that the sugarcane farmers had lots of problems, what are you referring to ?
In retrospect, probably not a line to follow. Given this forum's track record, it'll almost instantly degenerate into gross racist generalisations.

martin

Expert Member
EDIT: Removed the post as it was pointed out by @isie that the photos are old. Apologies for adding to the noise.

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
Radio 702. Stopped reading there. What did I miss. Lies? Lies? Lies?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I think when Mark Barnes volunteered for the job, he had this grand vision of turning the Post Office into a profitable and efficient business.

But like all SOEs, there is just nothing that can be done. You cannot overcome the organizational inertia. Barnes is probably not allowed to retrench people, and probably not allowed to hire the managers he would need. There is probably a whole bunch of stuff that he would like to do but cannot because he is at a SOE.

isie

Honorary Master
Have a look over here:

apparently these pictures are old - of course they haven't provided a more recent one to show what it looks like now