SA Post Office – The truth behind its massive backlog and delivery delays

martin

Expert Member
apparently these pictures are old - of course they haven't provided a more recent one to show what it looks like now
Thanks for that. I only recently came across them on Twitter but I've edited my original post to remove them and point out my mistake.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
That's interesting.
Especially the bit where Mark Barnes appears to be running away at top speed.
There was a letter that had to be delivered; they deliver, whatever it takes, remember?

I think when Mark Barnes volunteered for the job, he had this grand vision of turning the Post Office into a profitable and efficient business.

But like all SOEs, there is just nothing that can be done. You cannot overcome the organizational inertia. Barnes is probably not allowed to retrench people, and probably not allowed to hire the managers he would need. There is probably a whole bunch of stuff that he would like to do but cannot because he is at a SOE.
Volunteered? Ahem, his salary is R4mil! Volunteered my a$$:

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/government/280933-r4-million-salary-for-sa-post-office-exec-who-cant-even-keep-a-website-online.html

Peter V

SA Post Office – The truth behind its massive backlog and delivery delays

The SA Post Office is still struggling to clear the backlog of parcels and letters which is causing huge delivery delays.

It was previously reported that most of the backlog was created by a two-and-a-half week strike – and a one week go-slow that preceded it – which ended on 18 July.
Mr Barnes, a joke comes to mind. When a successful applicant reported for his new job as CEO of company in trouble he met the outgoing CEO and asked if he had any advice. He handed over three letters and said when the going get unbearable open the first letter. This he did and the letter said blame it all on me, it will buy you time. When the pressure again gets unbearable open the second letter. Again the pressure mounted and he opened the second letter which said say that you need more time to sort out the mess and when the pressure again becomes unbearable open the third letter. Again the pressure became unbearable so he opened the third letter which read "prepare three letters".

Peter V

Mr Barnes, a joke comes to mind. When a successful applicant reported for his new job as CEO of company in trouble he met the outgoing CEO and asked if he had any advice. He handed over three letters and said when the going get unbearable open the first letter. This he did and the letter said blame it all on me, it will buy you time. When the pressure again gets unbearable open the second letter. Again the pressure mounted and he opened the second letter which said say that you need more time to sort out the mess and when the pressure again becomes unbearable open the third letter. Again the pressure became unbearable so he opened the third letter which read "prepare three letters".

Swa

Honorary Master
I think when Mark Barnes volunteered for the job, he had this grand vision of turning the Post Office into a profitable and efficient business.

But like all SOEs, there is just nothing that can be done. You cannot overcome the organizational inertia. Barnes is probably not allowed to retrench people, and probably not allowed to hire the managers he would need. There is probably a whole bunch of stuff that he would like to do but cannot because he is at a SOE.
And this is the crux. The PO is not supposed to be a profitable business but a public service which private enterprise won't offer.

isie

Honorary Master
Thanks for that. I only recently came across them on Twitter but I've edited my original post to remove them and point out my mistake.
no worries - lol it probably looks works now
i am waiting for so many parcels compared to last year deliveries are taking so much longer (if they ever arrive)

Absinth

Mmmm
Type letter - 10 min
Print Letter - 1 min
Sign letter - 10 sec
Scan in letter - 2 min (very old scanner)
Attached to email - 1 min
Click send - 3 sec

Same day delivery

isie

Honorary Master
And this is the crux. The PO is not supposed to be a profitable business but a public service which private enterprise won't offer.
If they ran a tight ship and delivered on time they can be very profitable.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
People need to stop using the Post Office so that it can die a natural death.
People are stupid. If they do stop using the post office, the post office will eventually start to look efficient again as they should be able to handle low volumes relatively well. Then stupid people will support them again, and voila. Same problem as now. Rinse and repeat.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
The UK's Royal Mail was privatized a while ago and that is still doing well.

I don't see why they can't aim to turn a profit with the Post Office. The benefit of aiming for that is that things actually matter.

Who gets fired if a letter takes 81 days to deliver? No one. Who gets no bonus because packages are stuck in JIMC for 3 months? No one. Who got fired when the SAPO website was down for a couple of weeks? No one.

There are no consequences for doing anything badly when you work in the post office. You can make the biggest screw up ever and nothing matters, because nothing the post office does matters. It doesn't have to earn its keep. It doesn't have to cover its costs. It just sits there, diverting taxpayers money.

isie

Honorary Master
People are stupid. If they do stop using the post office, the post office will eventually start to look efficient again as they should be able to handle low volumes relatively well. Then stupid people will support them again, and voila. Same problem as now. Rinse and repeat.
the post office can't cope with the influx of international parcel - its not like it happened over night - it started a few years ago - with wish there was a book last year - and they still playing catch up

The UK's Royal Mail was privatized a while ago and that is still doing well.

I don't see why they can't aim to turn a profit with the Post Office. The benefit of aiming for that is that things actually matter.

Who gets fired if a letter takes 81 days to deliver? No one. Who gets no bonus because packages are stuck in JIMC for 3 months? No one. Who got fired when the SAPO website was down for a couple of weeks? No one.

There are no consequences for doing anything badly when you work in the post office. You can make the biggest screw up ever and nothing matters, because nothing the post office does matters. It doesn't have to earn its keep. It doesn't have to cover its costs. It just sits there, diverting taxpayers money.
Think Royal mail rolled in something like 300 Million Pounds profit last year

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
All? If you think that you're in dreamland.

Some do. My erstwhile boss is a well-known example.

Barnes doesn't need the bucks, whether you believe it or not.
I'm in dreamland and you are the president of naïve land.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Do you know Barnes? I do.
Yes. He is a prick. I have e-mailed him numerous times, including the entire executive of the Post office (figuring out their email addresses is simple). This after he was appointed and promised the public redress via his email address for any problems. Not a single reply. Ever.

So I will say it again, he is a prick. And he is for sure doing it for the money. No doubt in my mind. he has a typical ruling party mentality. Next step for him is parliament.

kolakidd

MyAdsl should do the same test with parcels from Overseas. I reckon the on time delivery rate would be 0% if ever.