SA Post Office – The truth behind its massive backlog and delivery delays

Swa

Honorary Master
If they ran a tight ship and delivered on time they can be very profitable.
True it can be especially with commerce. But the focus should be a cheap reliable service otherwise both profit and service suffers.

Arthur

Honorary Master
then do the right thing and smack him on the back of his head.
Hehe. I think he's insane because fixing the Post Office under current ownership is Mission Impossible. But he's also an idealist. And he certainly isn't doing it for mere munny.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Hehe. I think he's insane because fixing the Post Office under current ownership is Mission Impossible.
Yet that is exactly what he was appointed to do. So he is either failing miserably at his job in which case he should do the honourable thing and resign (since he is Mr. Money Bags and doesn't need the money as you said), or he knows that he cant fix it, yet stays employed nonetheless and is thus a greedy prick. Which one? You are the one that knows him so well.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Yet that is exactly what he was appointed to do. So he is either failing miserably at his job in which case he should do the honourable thing and resign (since he is Mr. Money Bags and doesn't need the money as you said), or he knows that he cant fix it, yet stays employed nonetheless and is thus a greedy prick. Which one? You are the one that knows him so well.
The real world is not confined to your narrow either-or alternatives and imperatives.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
The real world is not confined to your narrow either-or alternatives and imperatives.
Yip. Real world is where rich people don't need the money and work because they don't need the money :ROFL:

Now go and tell your friend Mark his momma is looking for him and told him to come home and stop all this foolishness :laugh:

isie

Honorary Master
Hehe. I think he's insane because fixing the Post Office under current ownership is Mission Impossible. But he's also an idealist. And he certainly isn't doing it for mere munny.
he took the job knowing full well all of that and I disagree it can be fixed and they can and have operated well you get these months where parcels are delivered on time no long waits and no items disappearing and then back to crap.
they just need to embrace the change , They already pretty much got rid of the stupid collection slips ( no more slip getting lost in the wind) and started with sending sms's how many hands that must have freed move those people to the sorting centres..

Arthur

Honorary Master
he took the job knowing full well all of that and I disagree it can be fixed and they can and have operated well you get these months where parcels are delivered on time no long waits and no items disappearing and then back to crap.
they just need to embrace the change , They already pretty much got rid of the stupid collection slips ( no more slip getting lost in the wind) and started with sending sms's how many hands that must have freed move those people to the sorting centres..
@ambroseg1 :
You see, there are different legitimate views on this. My own is that the ANC's political program will, for the foreseeable future, trump any attempts to make the necessary changes as the Post Office. Barnes and others like @isie think it can be fixed, or at least improved to a tolerably viable operation. They're probably more pragmatic (and therefore more realistic) than I am, since my own ideological views on SOEs and politicians in general and the ANC in particular just don't see it as worth all that effort and pain. Besides, I still suffer from a small but lingering perfectionism and find it hard to sink effort into a 60% solution, and we all know Perfectionists come last. Barnes is the sort of bloke who will bash away at incremental improvements, upbeat despite the setbacks and criticisms from people such as those in this thread.

There's much practical wisdom in the Chestertonian "A job worth doing is worth doing badly". You've got to think about that a little.

Last edited:

Marius Malan

Mark Barnes is the highest paid CEO in South Africa, and yet whenever he is asked a question, he blames something or someone else. Laying blame for everything is a sign of a loser.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I'm going to disagree with this. The problem with the post office isn't big policy issues that requires government input to fix. It requires a competent management team that can hammer out the millions of small issues that they have.
For one finding the thieves that steals people's post and prosecuting them. Quite easy to do with proper handoffs and some security. They already have all the necessary systems in place to track where something when wrong.

After reading the article Barnes should also probably fire his secretary or whoever handles his emails that should solve a lot of his problems.

Last edited:

Jola

Honorary Master
MyAdsl should do the same test with parcels from Overseas. I reckon the on time delivery rate would be 0% if ever.

I was trying to coordinate deliveries with locations (hotels, etc) on a recent trip to the USA.

My biggest problem was that stuff arrived sooner than estimated, often the next day.

Some of it was courier but not everything.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Mmmm
Type letter - 10 min
Print Letter - 1 min
Sign letter - 10 sec
Scan in letter - 2 min (very old scanner)
Attached to email - 1 min
Click send - 3 sec

Same day delivery
Sign with Adobe reader and scan with Google docs. Saved you a few secs.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
@ambroseg1 :
You see, there are different legitimate views on this. My own is that the ANC's political program will, for the foreseeable future, trump any attempts to make the necessary changes as the Post Office. Barnes and others like @isie think it can be fixed, or at least improved to a tolerably viable operation. They're probably more pragmatic (and therefore more realistic) than I am, since my own ideological views on SOEs and politicians in general and the ANC in particular just don't see it as worth all that effort and pain. Besides, I still suffer from a small but lingering perfectionism and find it hard to sink effort into a 60% solution, and we all know Perfectionists come last. Barnes is the sort of bloke who will bash away at incremental improvements, upbeat despite the setbacks and criticisms from people such as those in this thread.

There's much practical wisdom in the Chestertonian "A job worth doing is worth doing badly". You've got to think about that a little.

Your "friendship/relationshop" with Mark Barnes is clouding your view on the issue. He is a twat, that "runs" a **** organization. Think about that a little.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Your "friendship/relationshop" with Mark Barnes is clouding your view on the issue. He is a twat, that "runs" a **** organization. Think about that a little.
What am I all cloudy about? I thought it was pretty plain that we differ rather fundamentally on the feasibility of this project. @rietrot has added his voice to those who think the Post Office is salvagable under the current regime. I agree that it need competent management. But I also think it much more than that - it needs lots and lots of competent staff at every level and corner of the organisation, and I think the ANC won't let him do the necessary to ensure that. No matter how brilliant the manager, in the end everything has to be effected through other people. And that's where the problem lies. Incapable and incompetent staff can thwart everything.

rietrot

Honorary Master
What am I all cloudy about? I thought it was pretty plain that we differ rather fundamentally on the feasibility of this project. @rietrot has added his voice to those who think the Post Office is salvagable under the current regime. I agree that it need competent management. But I also think it much more than that - it needs lots and lots of competent staff at every level and corner of the organisation, and I think the ANC won't let him do the necessary to ensure that. No matter how brilliant the manager, in the end everything has to be effected through other people. And that's where the problem lies. Incapable and incompetent staff can thwart everything.
How incompetent can the people running the the operations really be. It's simple logistics, not rocket science. I would think the people already there just require some motivation.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
How incompetent can the people running the the operations really be. It's simple logistics, not rocket science. I would think the people already there just require some motivation.
How incompetent can they be? Really? You ask this question in sunny South Africa?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I found quite interesting the number of parcels arriving SA on a daily basis.

Yeah wish and aliexpress is probably to blame. Super cheap chinese items usually with free or very low shipping costs. Saw myself a small post office in The reeds the lady scanning probably 2000+ small international parcels. She told me those are from a few days ago there are still like 10 of these bags she has to scan. It's a massive amount of parcels.

Wish and aliexpress pushing their ads on facebook is paying off for them but I feel they are abusing the postal service world wide.

They only pay a small fee to drop the parcel in the destination country from there it's all on the destination countries postal service to do the rest. When you post a letter/parcel internationally the same applies to SAPO. They just inject the parcel/letter into the destination countries postal service for delivery. China is making good use of this.

As for JIMC I saw my parcels scanned at like 01:00 am so something did change. JIMC is working 24/7 to clear parcels they just don't have the resources because the money is probably spent where it shouldn't be.

rietrot

Honorary Master
How incompetent can they be? Really? You ask this question in sunny South Africa?
Geuss I'm having an optimistic day. I struggle to think that the average South African is too stupid do deliver a letter. Most currier companies manage it and they employ the same South Africans.

The problem with the post office definitely seems to be one of motivation.
Too much job security and entitlement. It's really easy to fix that and clean house. Just fire the criminals within. I'm sure there's enough of them.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Mark Barnes is the highest paid CEO in South Africa, and yet whenever he is asked a question, he blames something or someone else. Laying blame for everything is a sign of a loser.
If the Post Office was a one-man job and the letters didn't arrive on time, you might well be right. As you must know, it takes more than a manager to make it all happen.

You cavalierly absolutise ("blame for everything") then rush to judgment ("sign of a loser"). Everything? Really? I don't think you know the difference between an explanation, making excuses, and blame. They're not the same, by a long chalk. Care to cite just one example of him blaming everything on others?