SA Post Office lawsuit could be a disaster for South Africa

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
SA Post Office lawsuit could be a disaster for South Africa

There is an ongoing battle between the SA Post Office (SAPO) and courier companies in South Africa, which could prove disastrous for local businesses.

The Post Office wants to prevent private courier companies from delivering any packages under 1kg, and its efforts have been backed up by the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA).

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Very stupid and short sited of the Post Office. Only viable solution for them, is to drastically improve their service levels and start competing.

But this is South Africa - African logic prevails.

So many ways to get around this, including the old fashioned company messenger.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Did you read the article? Courier companies will be prevented from delivering anything under 1kg. This includes credit cards, medicine and other goods.

You think the impact will be negligible when this happens?
I'll read it, or I'll just wait for someone else to read it rather for me and do something about it. It's the way.

However. If we don't use sapo, and there is no reason we should be using it, nor any other reason that by now we could have done something about it.

Jings

Treasure Maker
Coronavirus would have a field day with all entries each person has to page through to find their parcel details at their local post office.

Cray

Honorary Master
The Post office can f*** right off...

Even if they could guarantee delivery (which they won't), they are saying that a delivery of vital legal documents has to be done by the post office with their horrible time lines... I have no issue with them being around, they just need to compete with the private sector like everyone else.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Besides, despite, or, inspite, of lockdown, couriers are still delivering essential goods. I have not seen a SAPO mail delivery in this time.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
The Postal Services Act states that only a licenced postal services operator may render services defined as reserved postal services. Reserved postal services include all letters, postcards, printed matter, small parcels, and other postal articles up to and including 1kg.

The Post Office is the sole entity which may render these reserved postal services in South Africa, and it subsequently lodged a complaint with ICASA against courier companies, which it said were contravening this rule.
As with everything in Africa, it's about the gravy.

Milano

Honorary Master
When you combine the conservative pettiness of the Nats with the stupidity of the ANC you have something particularly special. Might as well bring the stars back for the boobies while we're at it.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
If SAPO provides a good service at a reasonable price then I don’t see an issue

How long are you prepared to wait for that impossibility?

They've had 10+ years to "fix" the basic postal system (which wasn't actually broken originally) and they just seem to make it worse every year...

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
CASA’s Complaints and Compliance Committee (CCC) said the Postal Services Act has created a monopoly in favour of the SA Post Office, and that the 1kg and less limitation is constitutionally justifiable.

But hey, without the government, who would protect us from these evil courier companies that provide terrible services that we are all willing to pay for...

Every bootllicker of public healthcare should be mandated to use the government postal services.