SA Post Office lawsuit could be a disaster for South Africa

gerrys

With due respect ICASA is a useless organisation and probably does not even have any legal standing in this argument. ICASA has no idea about what its role is and has over the years (proven by its lack of teeth with regard to monopolies) caused serious financial and economic damage to SA. It gets involved in issues that it should not and does not act decisively when it needs to. It has no strategic leadership (proven corruption) and is a total waste of tax payers money. It is about as useless as the PP.

katsclaw1

I can sum up this disaster with one sentence
"I have just received a Christmas card that was posted in November (from Jhb to Cpt)". And this is true!!!!!

markings

Expert Member
On 11 Dec 2019 I sent of a small parcel/letter as registered post to Malaysia.
Middle of January I phoned customs which has better tracing abilities than the internet and the Post Office has. I was told that it is in JHB awaiting to be loaded on a plane but they first have to contract a new service provider to take it from the post office to the plane.
About middle of Feb I submitted an official tracing request. 2 weeks later I got a phone call saying that it is still in JHB because there is no space on the planes. I said, try some more. Around March 20 I got another call that it is still in JHB. This time I elected to have it sent back. On March 25 2020 it was again in my possession.

Georas

Trouble is nothing of value gets through Witspos - it will be stolen. Couriers do not steal your stuff and claim it was lost.

AlfAlf

Very stupid and short sited of the Post Office. Only viable solution for them, is to drastically improve their service levels and start competing.

But this is South Africa - African logic prevails.

So many ways to get around this, including the old fashioned company messenger.
The best way is to close down all SOE and privatise all said organisations. This won't happen because the crooks may loose out on "raping" our country and economy.

AlfAlf

On 11 Dec 2019 I sent of a small parcel/letter as registered post to Malaysia.
Middle of January I phoned customs which has better tracing abilities than the internet and the Post Office has. I was told that it is in JHB awaiting to be loaded on a plane but they first have to contract a new service provider to take it from the post office to the plane.
About middle of Feb I submitted an official tracing request. 2 weeks later I got a phone call saying that it is still in JHB because there is no space on the planes. I said, try some more. Around March 20 I got another call that it is still in JHB. This time I elected to have it sent back. On March 25 2020 it was again in my possession.
Atleast you are fortunate that you got it back

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
With due respect ICASA is a useless organisation and probably does not even have any legal standing in this argument. ICASA has no idea about what its role is and has over the years (proven by its lack of teeth with regard to monopolies) caused serious financial and economic damage to SA. It gets involved in issues that it should not and does not act decisively when it needs to. It has no strategic leadership (proven corruption) and is a total waste of tax payers money. It is about as useless as the PP.
ANC stooges, is why ...

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
The Postal Services Act states that only a licenced postal services operator may render services defined as reserved postal services.

Reserved postal services include all letters, postcards, printed matter, small parcels, and other postal articles up to and including 1kg.

The Post Office is the sole entity which may render these reserved postal services in South Africa, and it subsequently lodged a complaint with ICASA against courier companies, which it said were contravening this rule.
So let's say you print out 200 pages of legal documents and you need those across the country to be signed by the next day.

Is SAPO really saying that they should be the one to take up to five days to deliver important or urgent mail across the country?

system32

Expert Member
So let's say you print out 200 pages of legal documents and you need those across the country to be signed by the next day.

Is SAPO really saying that they should be the one to take up to five days to deliver important or urgent mail across the country?
Postnet classify themselves as a courier service (not a postal service) and are thus not subject to the act.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
SAPOS/anc/icasa stop wasting the taxpayers money fighting useless cases in court in a attempt to achieve your communistic goals.

Just like everything you took over (except SA Rail) you fvcked it up, raped it, broke it and poured tax money into a useless failing entity just so you can steal the money through corruption.

rh1

I have read the comments on the website. If they add a 1 kg rice to the package, would it qualify as an essential good?