SA Post Office vs Couriers - Pricing showdown

Swa

Honorary Master
This doesn't compare the hidden costs. Had to send documents recently. The only options are P.O.Box or delivery. Went to Postnet (Aramex) and they charged R245 because there's a gate which is unbelievable as there's no extra cost involved. Luckily it's literally a once in a lifetime event but I never want to use couriers again.

I've never had parcels go missing (even high value ones) and local ones are on time too. What people seem to forget is that you can pay for insurance as well and you should when you use a courier in any case. From the stories I heard from couriers themselves I'll never send valuable stuff without insurance as he chances of your stuff being damaged is just too high.

Mampara

The problem with Post office is that when you buy something online it never gets delivered or message or sms sent of parcel collection. Too many items disappear but tracking says it arrived in S.A. Either customs are stealing it or workers in post office. Install cameras, computerized tracking and fire those caught stealing

dj2381

Expert Member
As nervous as I was using Paxi looking at the state of my local PEP, I have had a 100% success rate 12/12 packages delivered in the past 4 months, and surprisingly 7 to 9 days usually ends up being 3 to 5 days.

Tman*

Expert Member
Its like saying, lets compare a broken UNO of R5.56 to a working Corolla of R25 000.

One actually gets you from point A - B, the other doesn't.

Gemsbok

Firstly for the Post Office to charge a SERVICE fee requires them to deliver a service.
Second: With any Courier service You KNOW you will receive your package. One never knows when the post office are on strike or just plain pathetic. It used to be the best postal service in the world until it was "highjacked".

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
It used to be the best postal service in the world until it was "highjacked".
I grew up with the Royal Mail, the UK Postal Service having the 'best in world' reputation. You could post a letter in London and it would arrive on the same day. There was a movie where the thief delivered diamonds by mail as it was the most reliable method he knew.

Activ8CT

Well, my only argument is that I would not consider R30.00 odd a saving for a package that never gets delivered. Right? What about a piece on SAPO's delivery and timeliness records vs Couriers - may show a different story.