SA premium smartphone prices - 2012 to 2019

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
SA premium smartphone prices - 2012 to 2019

The price of high-end smartphone in South Africa has climbed steadily over the last few years.

These premium smartphones include the recently-launched Apple iPhone 11 range, the Samsung Galaxy S range, and Huawei’s P30 range of smartphones.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Yes well, if you look at the devaluation of our little Rand then you can also understand why prices have increased. Hell, everything has increased, never mind phones.

What must also be considered is flag ships of yesteryear had much lower specs than today's current mid rangers. You can buy a Nokia 7.2 which will kick the Samsung S6 in the nuts for 300 Euro (About R5 000,00)

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Between the price of phones (and everything else) going up and my salary staying the same I got an A30 a few weeks back for myself and a few months before that I got one for my wife.

My monthly spend on LTE and phones has gone from just over R3000pm (depending on the usage) when self and wife each had an s7 edge and we had 10GB per month total data on the home LTE router to the current R1300pm including 2x A30's and 100gb + 100gb data

We both have great phones and I am pocketing over R1700 a month I would have otherwise not even seen.

genetic

Honorary Master
Yes well, if you look at the devaluation of our little Rand then you can also understand why prices have increased.
Uhm... prices of the phones themselves have increased. They are getting more expensive, because manufacturers are charging more. You have to think a bit beyond our borders.

phone prices are soaring year over year, and trends suggest they'll only get more expensive. The OnePlus 7 Pro is the latest handset to demonstrate that phone prices aren't just rising a little more with each model, but that they're taking advantage of a shift in the current mobile landscape that includes 5G devices and foldable phones to boost prices.

The data from 13 phone models from 2016 to 2019 shows a pattern of sharp price hikes that we expect to heighten in 2019 and beyond

The cheapest iPhone 5 cost $199 on launch. The cheapest iPhone 11 is now $699. That's 3x the price. That's not the Rand's fault. The exchange rate doesn't help, but it's not the cause of manufacturers charging more and more.

krycor

Honorary Master
Uhm... prices of the phones themselves have increased. They are getting more expensive, because manufacturers are charging more. You have to think a bit beyond our borders.

The cheapest iPhone 5 cost $199 on launch. The cheapest iPhone 11 is now $699. That's 3x the price. That's not the Rand's fault. The exchange rate doesn't help, but it's not the cause of manufacturers charging more and more.
So when I was looking at the list they provided the one thing that stood out for me is that u can’t just compare the max prices across the range especially for iPhones as the range has 2-3 models.. ie would have to evaluate plus size with max.

The other thing is, as you say.. costs of iPhones have gone insane over the last 2-3yrs even if you only look at the dollar pricing. Eg

iPhone 6S Plus 16GB - $749 ?? (YoY increase - none/new)
iPhone 7 Plus 32GB - $769 (+2.6%)
iPhone 8 Plus 64GB - $799 (+3.9%)
iPhone XS Max 64GB - $1099 (+38%)
iPhone 11 Pro 64GB - $1099 (0%)

My point is.. iPhone inflation is insane when they claim to “introduce” a new model albeit a replacement for line.

FBD8501D-F273-4920-80E8-96A49F22ACAB-13282-000002AC9E535504.JPG

Every time they want to push up pricing they “rename” models or lines (well it’s different, it used oled.. but that’s the new standard so is it justified?) or introduce new ones (initially). So looking above that’s why the jump from Plus to Max.. claimed “changes”.

What’s fascinating is the recent price indicating their acknowledgement that this years sales are gonna suck. I’d like to think they know their pricing has plateaued but it’s not that at all.. it’s a 3rd year of the same-ish phone with nothing too drastic that they can’t see getting away with a inflated price.. next year will be fascinating to watch.

Something to keep in mind is that inflation in US also happens and while they claim it’s stalling over the years, if you look at what’s being said it seems like 2-3% minimum over the years with recent tariffs pushing things up drastically (iPhone exempt but this changes perception on value thus indirectly causes inflation).

So yah.. tough times ahead with another round of QE which will cheapen money thereby making companies feel justified charging more to get roi for investors.

Last edited:

Budza

Executive Member
They can charge what they like- it's the muppets paying that price that allow it to get so high.

Conspicuous Consumption.