SA public to have say on next chief justice, for the first time

TheChamp

Honorary Master
In a first for the country, President Cyril Ramaphosa has called on the public to nominate South Africa's next chief justice to promote transparency. But the clock is ticking as there is less than a month before the end of Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng's term, which ends on 11 October.

On Thursday, the Presidency announced anyone would able to nominate a candidate.

A nomination should be accompanied by an endorsement and support of at least one professional body of legal practitioners or NGOs working in the field of human rights or other legal areas.

R13...

Honorary Master
So, Bess Nkabinde?
I imagine they'd want a woman but she may be a bit too independent for the ANC's liking. The field isn't too friendly to them though, they should just appoint her she's competent.

Somehow doubt they'd appoint someone not to their liking. They'll only do that if what the public wants aligns with their preselected choice.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
LOL - CRs nomination will be chosen.
Actually it's the opposite, he will be choosing from other people's nominations.

A panel chaired by Navi Pillay, the former International Court of Justice judge and UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, will then shortlist between three and five candidates for the president's consideration.

The panel also includes Justice and Correctional Services Minister Ronald Lamola, former justice minister Jeff Radebe, former Public Protector advocate Thuli Madonsela, SA National Aids Council co-chairperson Mmapaseka Steve Letsike, and Professor Ziyad Motala of the Howard University School of Law.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Actually it's the opposite, he will be choosing from other people's nominations.
So technically not "us" as in the general public that has a say.

Would be nice to vote on such positions, but that will likely over complicate our elections. Also, unless they appear in the media we generally don't know much about candidates.

Reactions: ES1

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So technically not "us" as in the general public that has a say.

Would be nice to vote on such positions, but that will likely over complicate our elections. Also, unless they appear in the media we generally don't know much about candidates.
Having a say does not necessarily mean having the final say, so technically the public will still have their say.

I don't think voting on such positions is a good idea, the general public will generally have no idea what would make a good Chief Justice, I prefer the panels of experts shortlist ing the candidates method and the President choosing the candidate.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The only person I like and trust on that panel is Madonsela.
I think there should be space for one politician on the panel, and that would be the Minister, Jeff has no business being there. Otherwise I only know Thuli but It looks like the others are also accomplished individuals.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Having a say does not necessarily mean having the final say, so technically the public will still have their say.

I don't think voting on such positions is a good idea, the general public will generally have no idea what would make a good Chief Justice, I prefer the panels of experts shortlist ing the candidates method and the President choosing the candidate.
Yep I had that in my original reply to your first post. Then saw it was included in the second one.

However given that Zuma was also the president, I don't agree that it is better than the public voting on the shortlist :p

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yep I had that in my original reply to your first post. Then saw it was included in the second one.

However given that Zuma was also the president, I don't agree that it is better than the public voting on the shortlist :p
Yeah, it's difficult to give the public some sense of transparency because everything will be questioned, I can already see the EFF having a problem with Pillay.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Please don't act stupid. One of his stooges will nominate his preferred candidate.

This is the ANC we are talking about. A criminal organisation to the core.
Looking at all his appointed "stooges" so far from Kieswetter to De Ruyter I think there's a good reason to be optimistic.

/dev/null

Expert Member
Leona Theron will get it, but it will be cool if it's a new judge to the court coming in as Chief Justice.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
“What would appear as an unprecedented noble call for public participation is now marred by the inclusion of questionable characters that Ramaphosa has chosen to preside over the shortlisting process. His choice of those in close proximity to the Stellenbosch mafia and apologist of white monopoly capital for the selection team is a clear indication that funders of his ascendancy to the high office will capture the judiciary by proxy,” said the party in a statement.

The EFF's take on the panel.

surface

Honorary Master
Yeah, it's difficult to give the public some sense of transparency because everything will be questioned, I can already see the EFF having a problem with Pillay.
Navi Pillay is daughter of Jamnadas - CIC likely to come up with gem soon.

surface

Honorary Master
Looking at all his appointed "stooges" so far from Kieswetter to De Ruyter I think there's a good reason to be optimistic.
But those 2 cases were different. CR couldn't ignore the western talent in these 2.