SA public to have say on next chief justice, for the first time

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Who are the other panel members? I assume Madonsela is the one close to WMC? Somehow because she works at Stellenbosch university?
I don't know the other members but the EFF will have a problem with whoever is on the panel, they also had similar concerns with the panel that shortlisted Kieswetter.

I suspect Pillay's closeness to the Jamnadas cabal will also be a problem.

surface

Honorary Master
IMO, CR should tentatively indicate Justice Zondo as CJ but then ask for extension and postpone appointment every 3 months for 2 years.

R13...

Honorary Master
I don't know the other members but the EFF will have a problem with whoever is on the panel, they also had similar concerns with the panel that shortlisted Kieswetter.

I suspect Pillay's closeness to the Jamnadas cabal will also be a problem.
Okay, found the panel members on gov's website and they are,
2. Panel to shortlist nominees
After receiving the nominations, a panel of eminent persons with relevant experience will shortlist between 3 and 5 candidates. The panel will decide how best to openly, transparently and expeditiously compile the shortlist.
The panel will consist of:
  • Former Judge of the International Court of Justice and United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, as chairperson,
  • Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, Ronald Lamola,
  • Former Minister of Justice Jeff Radebe,
  • Former Public Protector Adv. Thuli Madonsela,
  • Co-chair of the South African National AIDS Council, Ms Mmapaseka Steve Letsike,
  • Professor of Law at Howard University School of Law, Professor Ziyad Motala.

surface

Honorary Master
Sjoe no token white guy.....

ANC wont get some one that will actually go after them if they are naughty
Have some self-respect. None of us think you are token just because you have been selected to work somewhere.

Oldfut

Expert Member
She was our darling one time. But, collectively, we on myBB don't like her anymore. I can't recall why.
I think she moved to the populist ANC camp; pushing for a BIG and maybe wealth (solidarity ha ha) tax, wanting money for schools etc, excusing the wastrel ANC?

surface

Honorary Master
I think she moved to the populist ANC camp; pushing for a BIG and maybe wealth (solidarity ha ha) tax, wanting money for schools etc, excusing the wastrel ANC?
It sounds familiar. I can only imagine the hurt it must have caused to super wealthy myBB members when she talked about wealth tax.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
To be fair, she's always pushed for the things you mentioned. However, since she was fighting the big bad wolf, they were overlooked.

/dev/null

Expert Member

Oldfut

Expert Member
To be fair, she's always pushed for the things you mentioned. However, since she was fighting the big bad wolf, they were overlooked.
Maybe but I seem to remember she was quite hard on a certain Mr J Zuma of the ANC. Cyril and pretty much the same lot of ANC looters get a free pass now - rather get / replace the (stolen) cash with another rear end injection from taxpayers. Seems a good plan.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Same WhatsApp group. These should be the candidates:

My two recommendations are in order, 1) Khampepe whom I back at the appointments (which, /cough, had its controversies) said should be the #1 nomination and 2) Zondo, but Zondo is a bit tainted with chairing the Zondo Commission as the public sentiment is turbulent, and I believe too much sentiment is clouded in propagation.

Khampepe would be my nomination.

/dev/null

Expert Member
My two recommendations are in order, 1) Khampepe whom I back at the appointments (which, /cough, had its controversies) said should be the #1 nomination and 2) Zondo, but Zondo is a bit tainted with chairing the Zondo Commission as the public sentiment is turbulent, and I believe too much sentiment is clouded in propagation.

Khampepe would be my nomination.
It will have to be a relatively new judge at the ConCourt like Leona Theron or a completely new judge appointed to ConCourt and made Chief Justice at the same time like Mandisa Maya who's the current head of SCA. This is mainly because the constitution says ConCourt judges must leave the court after 12 years to make space for fresh minds. If Khampepe or Zondo are made Chief Justice, then it will only be for a year or two since they both have to retire soon.

One of the many mistakes Zuma made while president was to appoint Sandile Ngcobo as Chief Justice when Ngcobo had only two years remaining at the ConCourt. Zuma then tried to fix this blunder by sending a letter to Ngcobo telling him that he can continue at the ConCourt beyond the constitutionally mandated 12 year limit. Because this was an unconstitutional act, it reached the ConCourt which shut down this bright idea. Then Zuma opted to appoint relatively new ConCourt judge Mogoeng Mogoeng to ensure we have a Chief Justice for around 10 years.

Here's the ConCourt judgment that declared Zuma's extension of Sandile Ngcobo's term unconstitutional:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It will have to be a relatively new judge at the ConCourt like Leona Theron or a completely new judge appointed to ConCourt and made Chief Justice at the same time like Mandisa Maya who's the current head of SCA. This is mainly because the constitution says ConCourt judges must leave the court after 12 years to make space for fresh minds. If Khampepe or Zondo are made Chief Justice, then it will only be for a year or two since they both have to retire soon.

One of the many mistakes Zuma made while president was to appoint Sandile Ngcobo as Chief Justice when Ngcobo had only two years remaining at the ConCourt. Zuma then tried to fix this blunder by sending a letter to Ngcobo telling him that he can continue at the ConCourt beyond the constitutionally mandated 12 year limit. Because this was an unconstitutional act, it reached the ConCourt which shut down this bright idea. Then Zuma opted to appoint relatively new ConCourt judge Mogoeng Mogoeng to ensure we have a Chief Justice for around 10 years.

Here's the ConCourt judgment that declared Zuma's extension of Sandile Ngcobo's term unconstitutional:

At this time, the JSC still needs to conduct their new interviews. There two vacancies in the ConCourt, and the short-list has already been published,

https://www.judiciary.org.za/index....shortlisted-candidates-for-judicial-positions (PDF)

1. Constitutional Court (Two vacancies)

- Adv Alan Christopher Dodson SC J
- Judge Fayeeza Kathree-Setiloane
- Judge Narandran Kollapen
- Judge Rammaka Steven Mathopo
- Judge Mahube Betty Molemela
- Judge David Nat Unterhalter
- Judge Bashier Vally

The same group as the last time, but this time without... and as Mandonsela remarked,

Advocate Thuli Madonsela says the JSC is course correcting after some commissioners tried to “almost” bargain with judges​

but there is still the likelihood that the selection would go the exact same as the last time.

The only real change to the nomination list is Judge Dhaya Pillay moved to the KwaZulu-Natal high court short-list.

In my view, Judge Leona Theron is a Zuma loyalist, and it is a historical assumption I have made.

From my perspective, the Courts are being steered to being in a collective mind in regard to state policy. The commissioners didn't hide this in their interviews.

I would still nominate Khampepe, even though it would be temporary, I believe it requires an authoritative person to calm the turbulence. At late Mogoeng Mogoeng became troubled with his own personal position within a volatile climate. I still like him, though, but his position became politically tainted, and I can understand why he has taken leave.

Last edited:

/dev/null

Expert Member
At this time, the JSC still needs to conduct their new interviews. There two vacancies in the ConCourt, and the short-list has already been published,

https://www.judiciary.org.za/index....shortlisted-candidates-for-judicial-positions (PDF)

The same group as the last time, but this time without... and as Mandonsela remarked,

but there is still the likelihood that the selection would go the exact same as the last time.

The only real change to the nomination list is Judge Dhaya Pillay moved to the KwaZulu-Natal high court short-list.

In my view, Judge Leona Theron is a Zuma loyalist, and it is a historical assumption I have made.

From my perspective, the Courts are being steered to being in a collective mind in regard to state policy. The commissioners didn't hide this in their interviews.

I would still nominate Khampepe, even though it would be temporary, I believe it requires an authoritative person to calm the turbulence. At late Mogoeng Mogoeng became troubled with his own personal position within a volatile climate. I still like him, though, but his position became politically tainted, and I can understand why he has taken leave.
Looks like Khampepe is due to leave the court next month along with Jafta and Mogoeng as they were all appointed 12 years ago in October 2009:

The shortlisted candidates are for vacancies caused by retirement of Edwin Cameron in 2019 and Johan Froneman in 2020. This means from next month there will be 5 vacancies at the ConCourt.