SA retailers for astrophotography equipment?

plofstof12

Hi

I am looking for retailers in SA that stock or import hi-level astrophotography equipment, like german equatorial mounts (eg the EQ5 or EQ6) or cameras like the ZWO ASI (broadband and monochrome) and/or APO refractors. And the like.

My research efforts got me to telescopeshop.co.za and eridanus.com, but neither of them stock or list these products on their websites.
Are there any physical retailers or other online retailers that I could look to? Or will I have to import myself... (I have an import licence but would prefer to acquire locally obviously)

Thanks!

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Noyes Chemist in Kenilworth, CT.

Else try the local chapter of the Astronomical Society.

plofstof12

Yes, they have been selling telescopes and camera equipment since the 1970s. If you are not in Cape Town, don't bother.
I'm in Gauteng but will definitely contact them anyway.

Any pointers to retailers based up north?

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Yes, they have been selling telescopes and camera equipment since the 1970s. If you are not in Cape Town, don't bother.
Indeed. I used to buy stuff from them way back. Glad to hear they're still there.

Praemon

Expert Member
I had the same issue when trying to buy in 2011. While I would've preferred local, none of the stores I contacted had stock of what I wanted, and everything was pricey. With the exchange rate being stronger than it's been in ages, you'll likely be better off buying internationally (if I remember correctly optics don't attract import levies, but you'll pay VAT and high shipping costs).

I bought an Explore Scientific ED80, along with a Celestron CG-5GT mount (and some eyepieces), and did it all through international sites. With DHL or similar it's quite quick and didn't have any issues - but the shipping is obviously really high with heavy equipment like this. Some international stores also don't ship to SA, so I had to use MyUS.com or a similar service.

Personally I haven't tried them, but one store that come up when I was looking was http://www.glagencies.co.za - they still seem to be running. So might be worth giving them a shout.

Praemon

Expert Member
Interesting link , however not a single price listed on any items on that site, i would be very carefull , that is a red flag IMHO.

I actually think they're a distributor for Celestron and other optics/equipment in SA so don't list prices directly, but can help with locating stock or products if it's in a line they work with. Here's a list of stores they work with - http://www.glagencies.co.za/dealers/

Their responses were very slow though when I did ask about certain products, but they kept me up to date when new stock arrived for the item I was looking for.

ricardo12

Just use www.firstlightoptics.com they are UK based, you will save on the their VAT so minus that off their advertised price. Your 'cart' tells you the shipping price straight away, via DHL tracked to your door. DHL will call you with the TAX, its not a train smash as you are saving anyway. I've bought from them many times over the years and actually have stuff waiting to be sent to me as we speak. Oh and I've bought mounts from them weighing 50kg shipped, so you can ship anything you want.

ricardo12

oh hell no, thats a scam.. multiple websites running from the same site, different names etc. Wouldn't trust them with a barge pole

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Honestly, with ordering on the internet being easy, I'd do that.
Just make sure they use a courier. Amazon is good as it includes taxes, duties and shipping. Otherwise the other suggestions in thread. Local pricing is extortionate, and I'll bet you ordering from oversea's will be faster than local, especially for niche products.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Help,

My eldest is turning 5 and wants a telescope. (i want it for me too).

What is the best entry level or mid level telescope I can buy perhaps locally ASAP? I have tried reading up but am so confused. While the child loves everything with space , I want the telescope to continue to kindle that love and if they get bored that I would be able to use it.

I clicked on the UK site posted recently and I see them saying that with x telescope you can see Jupiter or Saturn, etc

If I could see them , I would be happy - unsure if I need more.

Takealot has this for 2.5k. Celestron 70AZ PowerSeeker Telescope

Any recommendation on what I should buy as a newbie for both of us. Willing to spend up to 3k and worst case 5k .

Many thanks

ricardo12

to be honest you won't see Jupiter or Saturn clearly, it'll be a tiny fuzzy pin prick, pretty but not what you are expecting like in magazines. Celestron make good scopes, but for something like that, stick to looking at the moon, its still amazing and you'll always come back to it, your lighty will love looking at the moon but will be bored at looking at stars in 5 minutes..

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
to be honest you won't see Jupiter or Saturn clearly, it'll be a tiny fuzzy pin prick, pretty but not what you are expecting like in magazines. Celestron make good scopes, but for something like that, stick to looking at the moon, its still amazing and you'll always come back to it, your lighty will love looking at the moon but will be bored at looking at stars in 5 minutes..
That is my fear too. Thinking will buy a starter one and see how it goes