SA smart plugs that can be flashed with Tasmota

ebendl

Expert Member
I'm looking for some local plugs that can be flashed with Tasmota.

I've found these:
* Connex 16A SA 3-pin (Tuya based) https://www.hificorp.co.za/connex-1...74QomBVFrTi13dxL6Mn5EI6qzTbokWNcaAtI3EALw_wcB
* BNETA Wifi plug (Tyua based) https://www.takealot.com/bneta-wifi-smart-power-plug-with-power-meter/PLID65529369)
* Ulta-Link Wifi Plug with Energy Monitoring https://www.loot.co.za/product/ultra-link-smart-wifi-plug-with-energy-monitoring/fnxh-6726-g310
* Sansui Wifi Smart Plug YSP1 and YSP2 (Tuya based) https://www.hificorp.co.za/sansui-wifi-smart-plug-ysp1

The latter seems really good -- good price and very small.

Has anybody tried flashing any of these with Tasmota or other ESP-firmare?

Edit: I found this: https://templates.blakadder.com/za.html

But only the Connex is in there and it's relatively expensive and out of stock.

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
Oh, I would also like a power-measuring one... just figured out the Sansui one isn't :(

ebendl

Expert Member
For whoever reads this in the future - I bought the BNETA (R349 at Takealot) and the ULink (R399 at Takealot) and managed to flash them both to Tasmota using Tuya Convert (I have an extra Raspberry Pi at home that I used).

They work really well.

The ULink is definitely smaller but the socket is very stiff and thus not ideal for day to day use (too hard to get plugs in and out of it).

The BNETA is a steal for the price and even though bigger is just as thin and works really well.

ebendl

Expert Member

SAguy

Executive Member
Pic of the ULink:

View attachment 810935

Picture of the BNETA

View attachment 810937

Tasmota 8.2 on the ULink (my kettle is plugged into it):

View attachment 810939

I also submitted Tasmota templates:
Awesome stuff, how has the BNETA and ULink been going over the last two weeks - any preferences of one over the other?
I'm keen to get a few of these as well, is it a mission to flash?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Awesome stuff, how has the BNETA and ULink been going over the last two weeks - any preferences of one over the other?
Flashing isnt hard with tuya convert, you need a raspberry pi with wifi and ethernet to do it though.

SAguy

Executive Member
Flashing isnt hard with tuya convert, you need a raspberry pi with wifi and ethernet to do it though.
Cool, I'm busy moving some stuff off my raspberry pi 3 anyway - then it will be free to use.

Aardvark

Hi
Do any of these plugs allow you to keep a state when powered on.

SAguy

Executive Member
Hi
If it's flashed with Tasmota then yes, you can set the PowerOnState parameter. With the default firmware, I don't know though.

ebendl

Expert Member
If it's flashed with Tasmota then yes, you can set the PowerOnState parameter. With the default firmware, I don't know though.
Hi

I honestly can't say either -- I haven't even bothered loading the provided apps to see what was in them. Just flashed it to Tasmota ASAP.

But yes, easy to do with Tasmota!

ebendl

Expert Member

I still like the BNETA a little bit more than the ULink -- for a couple of reasons:
1) The ULink socket is just iffy to insert a plug into -- probably because they tried to cater for another type of plug too (see pic)

1587329864203.png

2) I don't know if my Tasmota-mojo is wrong, but I sometimes miss a reading when I turn on the kettle plugged into it. I've set PowerDelta to 1 (i.e. if it changes by just 1% notify me) and PowerLow to 10W (i.e. ignore changes under 10W) but I still occasionally turn on the kettle yet see nothing in Home Assistant. It doesn't matter too much since I mostly rely on Tasmota's energy reading (i.e. how much kWh I've consumed per day), but still.

The BNETA is bigger, but I plug things into and out of it much more often without a pain. I haven't missed a reading yet but then again, I use it less often.

Both were exactly the same procedure to flash and didn't have more trouble with one or the other.

SAguy

Executive Member
I honestly can't say either -- I haven't even bothered loading the provided apps to see what was in them. Just flashed it to Tasmota ASAP.

But yes, easy to do with Tasmota!
Any recommended tutorial vids for flashing with a Pi?
I found this:

SAguy

Executive Member
That looks like the one I used, and then I also followed the instructions on the Github page https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert
Done! Flashed one of them and upgraded to the latest tasmota.bin.
Imported your template and so far it looks great. Just need to configure some more stuff and add to my my HA.

1588666910064.png

Edit: Looks like I really need to calibrate that voltage.

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
Done! Flashed one of them and upgraded to the latest tasmota.bin.
Imported your template and so far it looks great. Just need to configure some more stuff and add to my my HA.

Edit: Looks like I really need to calibrate that voltage.

Looking good!!

ebendl

Expert Member
Ended up buying two and a colleague bought 4. Thanks for letting us know :)

rodga

Honorary Master
Ended up buying two and a colleague bought 4. Thanks for letting us know :)
Yeah was think of getting a couple but the current work situation and I haven't even started with HA yet gonna give it a miss for now.