SA smart plugs that can be flashed with Tasmota

Chevauxza

Did you do a firmware upgrade of the pre-installed software before trying tuya-convert ?
I also got them and can confirm they don't work with tuya-convert when using the software out of the box.

So far I've found:

• They can be added to HA with the default software but you can only do on/off in HA. There is no power consumption info. It looks like there might be another integration which can be used but will have to spend a bit of time getting that connected up.
  • With the default software it doesn't seem like you can set the default power state. So if it was on and you have a power failure, it won't come back on until you switch it on again.

chopsuey

I also got them and can confirm they don't work with tuya-convert when using the software out of the box.
Thanx, they probably have a newer firmware, that fixed the exploit/s that tuya-convert uses.

Last edited:

rodga

Honorary Master
Ultra Link Smart WiFi Plug with Energy Monitoring
R239 at loot

Its now cheaper at R199

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
The Bneta ones with power monitoring are on "special" at Takealot for R299 today.

petertree

Hi, joining this bandwagon!

Purchased a couple of BNETA smartplugs yesterday as they are on special on Takealot.

Can anyone confirm that the version sold on Takealot currently can be flashed with Tuya firmware?

Also wondered, with it’s default firmware and app, what happens when their is a power failure or load shedding, and the power comes back on, will it switch the device back on that should be on as per scheduling?
For example heater should be on 16:00 to 23:00, but power failure 18:00 to 19:00, wil the heater switch on 19:00 when power is back on?

ebendl

Expert Member
Hi, joining this bandwagon!

Purchased a couple of BNETA smartplugs yesterday as they are on special on Takealot.

Can anyone confirm that the version sold on Takealot currently can be flashed with Tuya firmware?

Also wondered, with it’s default firmware and app, what happens when their is a power failure or load shedding, and the power comes back on, will it switch the device back on that should be on as per scheduling?
For example heater should be on 16:00 to 23:00, but power failure 18:00 to 19:00, wil the heater switch on 19:00 when power is back on?

Welcome!

Earlier this year when I bought those, I could still flash them. I don't have any indication/evidence that this had changed.

BUT TAKE NOTE: if you upgrade the firmware the exploit that TuyaConvert uses disappears, so you will lose OTA flashing. You will have to open them up and flash using a serial connection.

My best suggestion is to never even pair them with the official app if you intend to flash them. This is what I did.

gbyleveldt

I also bought a bunch of the Qualitel smart plugs and rgbw lights. I can also confirm that neither of these are able to be flashed with Tuya convert. Flashing the smart plugs with usb interface was simple as it’s easy enough to open them to get to the ESP module.

The lights, on the other hand, was a bear. They can come apart but it’s a mission. I took a Dremel to the first one to figure out how it goes together. After that it went better without skullf...ing the light. I can post pics of the process if anyone is interested.

ebendl

Expert Member
I also bought a bunch of the Qualitel smart plugs and rgbw lights. I can also confirm that neither of these are able to be flashed with Tuya convert. Flashing the smart plugs with usb interface was simple as it’s easy enough to open them to get to the ESP module.

The lights, on the other hand, was a bear. They can come apart but it’s a mission. I took a Dremel to the first one to figure out how it goes together. After that it went better without skullf...ing the light. I can post pics of the process if anyone is interested.

Please do, sounds like useful info.

gbyleveldt

Ok, it’s a bit of a test in patience to get it open neatly without damaging them. Hopefully the pics tell the story. I did do 7 lights yesterday in about 2 hours or so; after a while you get the hang of it
F9D57D20-FD4D-432A-9958-0E9082BCD7B5.jpeg
27F0B19C-4C06-4E66-93E1-6AE89285198C.jpeg
1CAAC63C-80BD-4AB4-B1A5-2CCC9DA8AAC9.jpeg
The led module is press fit into the base. You need to gently try and pry it off to get to the lower board in order to gain access to the ESP

gbyleveldt

If you get to this point without drawing blood, go have a beer
C2B2759A-F5A5-4499-A960-1FE30BC7F8B5.jpeg

I solder for a living so this part doesn’t phase me. It is fiddly though...
FC18545D-6C34-48C1-8E8E-0251B60AD177.jpeg
98C09617-D26C-4581-A4DC-07691A0210D0.jpeg
Tadaa...
7F142C54-A2D5-45C8-AFDB-779F246B5129.jpeg

ebendl

Expert Member

Flashed my first bulb - the Qualitel B22 one. Tuya Convert and Tasmota was easy.

For whoever finds this - to turn it into "flashing" mode you turn it on, turn it off, turn it on, turn it off and then turn it on. Then you just leave it for a couple of seconds and it should start flashing, indicating it is in setup mode.

Next is setting up a MQTT light in Home Assistant - what's the best config?

Actually I didn't realise you were talking about the B22 bulb - I was able to Tuya Convert one of them earlier the year.

I wonder if they changed default firmware?

gbyleveldt

Yeah Tuya patched up all the exploits. The stuff I got from Qualitel is all brand new stock that came in August. Stuff prior to that didn’t have the latest Tuya firmware. I don’t mind fiddling with this, but I can see how it would put off the less diy types.

ebendl

Expert Member
Yeah Tuya patched up all the exploits. The stuff I got from Qualitel is all brand new stock that came in August. Stuff prior to that didn’t have the latest Tuya firmware. I don’t mind fiddling with this, but I can see how it would put off the less diy types.

Well as long as they use the ESP chips (not the Realtek based ones) and you can get physical access to flash them, I'm still relatively happy. Oh and stay cheap enough that the risk of opening them and potentially breaking something isn't that big.

Still a lot simpler and more neat to get a ready-made smart plug with an SA plug than having to hack together extension cords + sonoffs!

martin

Expert Member
I need to do some power usage monitoring in my home as well as some very simple automation (putting two plugs on a schedule). I came across this thread while researching solutions and I've been eyeing those Ultra Link Smart plugs that were posted a little earlier as it seems perfect for both my needs and my budget.

Just a (hopefully) quick question and I apologise if this has been answered earlier, I may have searched with the wrong keywords. What benefits does Tasmota offer compared to the SmartLife app? I don't mind flashing firmware but I'd definitely like to avoid having to open up the device if that is required with the Ultra Link plugs.

If there's a chance that the SmartLife app suits my needs I'd probably just stick with that.

gbyleveldt

If you have a basic need to remotely switch off plugs, and don’t mind the ‘smarts’ sitting in a cloud somewhere on the internet, then the stock stuff will be fine. It’s when you want to do local automation, without the need for 100% uptime internet, where you need to flash these with Tasmota.

martin

Expert Member
If you have a basic need to remotely switch off plugs, and don’t mind the ‘smarts’ sitting in a cloud somewhere on the internet, then the stock stuff will be fine. It’s when you want to do local automation, without the need for 100% uptime internet, where you need to flash these with Tasmota.

Perfect explanation, exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!

ebendl

Expert Member
Here's a summary of why Tasmota posted earlier in the thread:

Yep, I'm running 3 of them on Tasmota.

It's been discussed earlier in the thread (hence the title of the thread!) but basically:
1) Complete local control (i.e. it all works even if your internet dies)
2) Integration with local running home automation software such as OpenHAB or Home Assistant. This also means one app where you can turn all the plugs on/off (see next point)
3) Because of #2, you can run multiple plugs from different vendors and you can thus buy whatever's the cheapest at any time
4) No risk that the hardware stop working in the future when the vendor closes its doors and the cloud service stops
5) Integration with other platforms -- I can use another company's temperature sensor and the BNETA plug and build a basic thermostat that say turns on/off a heater
6) No phoning to dodgy servers in say China (or other countries that you don't trust)
7) If you can secure your local installation there's no risk that the company gets hacked and somebody takes over your plug (but at the same time that shifts the risk to you)