SA smart plugs that can be flashed with Tasmota

petertree

Popped the hood on a Bneta Smart Wifi Plug with Power Meter. Photographs for anyone interested...
At first glance, quality looks great and components and wiring also good quality.
Does anyone have a specific guide for the next step flashing with Tasmota?

Attachments

• 7B5151CB-1759-45B1-AF44-944AFD0C3571.jpeg
    7B5151CB-1759-45B1-AF44-944AFD0C3571.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • BDFD53B1-8AA1-4DC6-B3F8-A84DC8C57301.jpeg
    BDFD53B1-8AA1-4DC6-B3F8-A84DC8C57301.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • B73BB612-ECA3-4E12-9D18-5699994A4AE7.jpeg
    B73BB612-ECA3-4E12-9D18-5699994A4AE7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 70
  • B201D15D-6289-4D41-B51B-80C798B4C08E.jpeg
    B201D15D-6289-4D41-B51B-80C798B4C08E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68

ebendl

Expert Member
Popped the hood on a Bneta Smart Wifi Plug with Power Meter. Photographs for anyone interested...
At first glance, quality looks great and components and wiring also good quality.
Does anyone have a specific guide for the next step flashing with Tasmota?

Does TuyaConvert not work?

gbyleveldt

If it’s brand new stock then tuya convert probably won’t work. Those plugs are piss easy to flash with a usb-ttl adaptor and Tasmotize. All 5 connections sit on pads that you can solder wires to.

PS: Based on the pics, I get feeling those plugs are slightly higher quality than the Qualitel plugs I bought

petertree

Thanks guys. Yes I suspect it's the latest Bneta plugs.
Awesome, sounds easy then, just connect my usb-ttl adaptor and Tasmotize!
I see this can even then be done on Windows: https://github.com/tasmota/tasmotizer

And it’s Tazmotized!
Important is just to make sure TX goes to RX and RX to TX.
Also when powering on keep the reset button pressed in on the Bneta.

As mentioned in this thread, template for Bneta available here: https://templates.blakadder.com/bneta_IO-WIFI-Plug-SA.html
Instructions on how to use template: https://templates.blakadder.com/howto.html

PS I did not try Tuya Convert (the easier way) since I did not having a Raspberry around that's not in use at the moment...

Attachments

• 9A012796-45CF-481C-8F11-E9E6092BEAE3.jpeg
    9A012796-45CF-481C-8F11-E9E6092BEAE3.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

petertree

If you are going to use the Timer with Tasmota, configure local time in Console.

For timezone:
CMD: timezone 2

For local NTP server:
CMD: NtpServer1 0.za.pool.ntp.org
CMD: NtpServer2 1.za.pool.ntp.org
CMD: NtpServer3 2.za.pool.ntp.org

To check status:
CMD: Status 7

I'm so impressed with Tasmota. Thank you for this thread guys!

petertree

Question please for experienced Tasmota people...

I'm using the timer to switch ON a device from 7:00 until 19:00.
Problem seems, when we have load-shedding and power comes back on say at 10:00, the plug does not automatically switch back ON to go back the the timer scheduling, ON until 19:00.
Any ideas what to do so that when power comes back on it will switch ON/OFF according to time scheduling?

Tinuva

The Magician
Question please for experienced Tasmota people...

I'm using the timer to switch ON a device from 7:00 until 19:00.
Problem seems, when we have load-shedding and power comes back on say at 10:00, the plug does not automatically switch back ON to go back the the timer scheduling, ON until 19:00.
Any ideas what to do so that when power comes back on it will switch ON/OFF according to time scheduling?
I overcame that problem with a Home Assistant script that runs a cron every 1 minute to check conditions and send an on or off based on those conditions.

See: https://github.com/tinuva/home-assi...3ff2846f1e04d930/packages/lights_outside.yaml

So some lights stay on whole night, others only at night while the alarm is disarmed and all of them during the day off.

petertree

I overcame that problem with a Home Assistant script that runs a cron every 1 minute to check conditions and send an on or off based on those conditions.

See: https://github.com/tinuva/home-assi...3ff2846f1e04d930/packages/lights_outside.yaml

So some lights stay on whole night, others only at night while the alarm is disarmed and all of them during the day off.

Thank you for your reply! I was hoping there was a simpler solution as simple as a setting...
Well done on your solution :)

What about using PowerOnState function?

Tinuva

The Magician
Thank you for your reply! I was hoping there was a simpler solution as simple as a setting...

Would need some scripting I suspect, not sure if that is a setting I can change from a Home Assistant automation.

ebendl

Expert Member

Unfortunately I think this won't fix it. It basically gives you options to say whether it should:
1) Start switched off
2) Start switched on
3) Start switched to whatever it was last (on/off)
4) Toggle -- in other words, if it was on, then turn it off
5) Switch on and stay on (ignore input/external control)

AFAIK the time basically switches on/off when it reaches the exact minute/second -- and not before/after it. Thus if that exact minute/second is not hit due to loadshedding, it just doesn't trigger.

petertree

Unfortunately I think this won't fix it. It basically gives you options to say whether it should:
1) Start switched off
2) Start switched on
3) Start switched to whatever it was last (on/off)
4) Toggle -- in other words, if it was on, then turn it off
5) Switch on and stay on (ignore input/external control)

AFAIK the time basically switches on/off when it reaches the exact minute/second -- and not before/after it. Thus if that exact minute/second is not hit due to loadshedding, it just doesn't trigger.

Bummer. Load shedding is our reality in SA and spoils the timer functionality...
Perhaps a workaround is also programming the timer to switch on in 15min intervals for example, thus if there was an interruption as soon as the power is back on it will switch on if it should be on.

Just found this that could also be useful:

Using Timers, you can set a light to turn on and off to illuminate a street/patio by night. But if the device has no power at the trigger time, then, when it powers up, the light will be off all night. So, as a fail-safe, implement a conditional control to be checked at Tasmota Startup.

Set Timers to turn on your light at Sunset and Turn off at sunrise. Use poweronstate 0 in order to start with lights off when powering up your device. Set the following rules:

Rule1
ON Time#Initialized DO Backlog event checksunrise=%time%; event checksunset=%time% ENDON
ON event#checksunset>%sunset% DO Power1 1 ENDON
ON event#checksunrise<%sunrise% DO Power1 1 ENDON

The previous rules are conditionals that represent the following logic:

IF %time%>%sunset DO Power1 1 / IF %time%<%sunrise DO Power1 1

Last edited:

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
And which ones resume the schedule when there was loadshedding? I want to connect these to wall heaters. Dont want the heater to turn on after there was a powercut. Seems like all of these small plugs just turn the power on again and ignored the schedule settings. Sounds like a big hazard to me.

Saba'a

Executive Member
So which plugs measure consumption out the box?
I have Qualitel and ultralink. Both do. But think Bneta etc all measure.

Now with my inverter and app, no real need anymore for the smartplugs. Sitting with 2 x Ultralinks I haven't even used yet.

Saba'a

Executive Member
And which ones resume the schedule when there was loadshedding? I want to connect these to wall heaters. Dont want the heater to turn on after there was a powercut. Seems like all of these small plugs just turn the power on again and ignored the schedule settings. Sounds like a big hazard to me.
Mine all do except the ultralink on inverter fridge sometimes doesn't. Think its because mesh airties don't have a ups so takes long time to reconnect.

Last edited:

petertree

Bneta does Switching and Power Monitoring.
I purchased a couple of Bneta smart plugs a week ago.
I can also confirm that it's possible to Tuya Convert (over wifi) and Tasmotize (using USB TTL Serial) them, without any issues. Working like a charm!
I used a virtual machine on my Windows with Ubuntu image to run Tuya Convert. Excellent instructions here:

ebendl

Expert Member
Power Measuring & 16A:
- Connex Connect plug
- Ultralink
- BNeta
- Qualitel

Switch on/off & 10A:
- Sansui

AS for timers with default firmware, I have no idea as I've never used any of these plugs with their original firmware.