SA smart plugs that can be flashed with Tasmota

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Ultra Link Smart WiFi Plug with Energy Monitoring
R239 at loot

I bought 4 of these.

1 was found and paired instantly.
3 did not pair at all. My mesh wifi (running mostly on 5ghz) could not find them at all after many attempts. Had to find a 2.4ghz network (which was not easy) and pair them using that one.

The other 5 Smart WiFi plugs I'd bought previously paired instantly on the exact same (mostly 5ghz) mesh wifi network.

Strange, I thought.

Saba'a

Executive Member
I bought 4 of these.

3 did not pair at all. My mesh wifi (running mostly on 5ghz) could not find them at all after many attempts. Had to find a 2.4ghz network (which was not easy) and pair them using that one.

The other 5 Smart WiFi plugs I'd bought previously paired instantly on the exact same (mostly 5ghz) mesh wifi network.

Strange, I thought.
Yes same here, so some on the mesh network and others on the 2.4ghz network.

ebendl

Expert Member
I bought 4 of these.

Strange, I thought.

That is fairly strange.

Other 5 plugs -- which were those?

alqassam

Expert Member
With my Unifi network **** just works, no issue connecting between 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

With the old to link router was a mission to connect a sonoff basic

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
That is fairly strange.

Other 5 plugs -- which were those?
These ones...
7b4274a98ff5340199c0a806f272ca95.jpg

ebendl

Expert Member
With my Unifi network **** just works, no issue connecting between 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

With the old to link router was a mission to connect a sonoff basic

Yeah I agree. I've read lots of things about mesh networks and IOT devices unable to associate with an AP due to a "combined" 2.4 and 5Ghz network, but I've never experienced that with my Unifi AP LR.

StefanX

Does anyone have any success in getting tuya-convert to work with the latest (R199) UL-P01W?
Alternatively, opening it up and seeing whether it has serial exposed for Tasmotization? It seems like quite a nasty thing to open up, so any hints from someone that has already done so would help... :)

Last edited:

Greglsh

What version of Tuya-convert have you tried? I assume 2.3 as that is the latest I can find.

system32

Expert Member
Does anyone have any success in getting tuya-convert to work with the latest (R199) UL-P01W?
Alternatively, opening it up and seeing whether it has serial exposed for Tasmotization? It's seems like quite a nasty thing to open up, so any hints from someone that has already done so would help... :)
I just got my order for 10 x Ultra Link UL-P01W from Takealot (15 Sept, 13:00)
I used a RPI to do the flashing.
Used my Cell-phone to connect to the newly flashed plug to connect to my IoT WiFi.

I used the instructions from github:
# cd tuya-convert​
# ./install_prereq.sh​
# ./start_flash.sh​
All 10 flashed fine.
The first 7, I long press the button twice for it to go to flash mode (fast LED 0.5Hz)
The last 3, I just powered it on (1Hz LED) and proceeded totuya-convert

Took about an hour.

I've only loaded the tasmota 8.1.0.2 firmware included with the git clone package.
Will updated later.

The plug is glued shut (no visible screws).
Won't be easy to open for serial port programming :-(

EDIT:
Can be opened with a Stanley knife.
The program pins seem difficult to get to.

I did a firmware upgrade from 8.1.0.2 to 8.5.0(tasmota)
Firmware upgrade takes about 2 minutes.
Leave the ultralink_UL-P01W plugged in, it reboots twice, after about 2 minutes, the upgrade should be completed.

Useful links:
This MyBB thread - very helpful for a n00b like me
Templates:
https://templates.blakadder.com/howto.html
https://templates.blakadder.com/ultralink_UL-P01W.html

I have a "Kill-A-Watt" meter, I calibrated the UL-P01W using these instructions:
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Power-Monitoring-Calibration/
1600186238540.png

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
I just got my order for 10 x Ultra Link UL-P01W from Takealot (15 Sept, 13:00)
I used a RPI to do the flashing.
Used my Cell-phone to connect to the newly flashed plug to connect to my IoT WiFi.

I used the instructions from github:
# cd tuya-convert​
# ./install_prereq.sh​
# ./start_flash.sh​
All 10 flashed fine.
The first 7, I long press the button twice for it to go to flash mode (fast LED 0.5Hz)
The last 3, I just powered it on (1Hz LED) and proceeded totuya-convert

Took about an hour.

I've only loaded the tasmota firmware included with the git clone package.
Will updated later.

The plug is glued shut (no visible screws).
Won't be easy to open for serial port programming :-(

Good to know they still work!

Remember people -- DO NOT link them to Tuya / Native apps if you intend on flashing them. Keep them as stock as possible, it increases your TuyaConvert chances.

StefanX

Awesome, thanks. That's actually exactly what I did before from an Ubuntu machine with a USB Wi-Fi dongle. Did not get beyond the first sending phase although I could hear the device restarting and could see traffic via tcpdump. So, on reading about your success, I dug out an older Raspberry Pi 3 and yes, flashed just fine with tuya-convert after that. So no Stanley-knife for now... :) . Thanks!

Last edited:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I bought 4 of these.

Strange, I thought.
If I wanted to buy something to plug into my existing router via lan cable which would then put out a 2.4ghz signal to which I could connect my various new smart devices, what is that thing?

I've tried a 2.4ghz WiFi range extender and that has not worked at all (Smart devices still can't be found).

Is it like a wireless access point? Another router with a WAN socket?? What am I missing here??

Saba'a

Executive Member
If I wanted to buy something to plug into my existing router via lan cable which would then put out a 2.4ghz signal to which I could connect my various new smart devices, what is that thing?

I've tried a 2.4ghz WiFi range extender and that has not worked at all (Smart devices still can't be found).

Is it like a wireless access point? Another router with a WAN socket?? What am I missing here??
I used an old AP for my sonoff s55 outdoor plug.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I used an old AP for my sonoff s55 outdoor plug.
I've checked the old routers I have lying around and none seems fit for purposes, in that I want to hard-wire the main router to something else that can put out a 2.4ghz signal. None of my old devices have a lan "in", if that makes sense...

Tinuva

The Magician

You want a regular Wifi Access point then.