SA smart plugs that can be flashed with Tasmota

Greglsh

Just wanted to confirm, these can't be flashed via Tuya convert to tasmota, or are these the older ones??

gbyleveldt

Just wanted to confirm, these can't be flashed via Tuya convert to tasmota, or are these the older ones??
If in doubt, rather go for the Qualitel ones at R250 from BW. Those can at least be opened to flash directly if Tuyaconvert doesn't work. The cheaper ones look like they sealed, so likely very difficult to open if you want to flash. Of course, if you happy to stay in the Tuya ecosystem then it's much of a muchness

Greglsh

Looking for some more smart plugs with power monitoring, I need these to be flashed with Tasmota. Any body got some models that still works with Tuya convert?

system32

Expert Member
Looking for some more smart plugs with power monitoring, I need these to be flashed with Tasmota. Any body got some models that still works with Tuya convert?
The tried and trusted method is to flash with a serial cable.
Over-The-Air (OTA) is nicer, but does not work with new factory firmware.
https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert/wiki/Collaboration-document-for-PSK-Identity-02

If the plug can be easily opened and has the serial port accessible, you can flash with a cable.
The UltraLink UL-P01W is not currently recommended as it does not work OTA and due to compact design can't access serial port :crying:

Greglsh

Yes I have the Ultralink plugs currently. Need to find out if anyone has ones which are easy enough to open. I have flashed all my Sonoff switches using the adapters so that wont be a problem.

zarf

The UltraLink UL-P01W is still my favourite despite the fact that it's difficult to flash. For my most recent batch of 10 plugs I managed to get my time per plug down to around 20 minutes for the sequence of opening the plug with a pry tool, desoldering the live & neutral pins to free the PCB, soldering a fly lead to the GPIO0 test pad on the back of the TYWE2S module, flashing with Tasmotizer and a 3D printed pogo pin jig held against the VCC, GND, TX & RX pins, desoldering the GPIO0 lead, resoldering the live and neutral and regluing the case.

At R199 a pop they're difficult to beat, which probably explains why they're out of stock on Takealot & Loot more often than they're in stock. The time investment required isn't that much longer than it takes to flash a Sonoff Pow and wire a plug and socket to it, and the end result is much more compact, with vastly better WAF.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Do you think these guys like Sonoff and Tuya, will ever sell the plugs with OTA Firmware replacement allowed?

Seems crazy. I know they want to own their plugs and data, but the schlep we need to get to only use local control is a bit ridiculous, not to say that we invalidate the warranty immediately.

Just received some Shelley's (holy moly are they small) and hoping I won't need to flash them to tasmota as they have a MQTT, interface. Just wondering if it will still be calling home.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Something I learned on UK side...not sure if relevant for ZA: Plugs marked as 16A seem more likely to be flashable than 13A

Seems many brands simultaneously moved from ESP8266 based on something else and dropped the amps

Often with a silent substitution. Some of my old amazon orders now literally point to a different product so buy-again would get me one that doesn't work.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Qualitel has no smart wifi light switches in stock but Builders Warehouse (Ennerdale) has stock AND cheaper than Qualitel.

Edit apologies Builders Edenvale

Last edited:

Greglsh

Also struggling to find these plugs in Durban, none of the Builders shops have stock in and around my area?

ebendl

Expert Member
Something I learned on UK side...not sure if relevant for ZA: Plugs marked as 16A seem more likely to be flashable than 13A

Seems many brands simultaneously moved from ESP8266 based on something else and dropped the amps

Often with a silent substitution. Some of my old amazon orders now literally point to a different product so buy-again would get me one that doesn't work.

Most of the ones in this thread is 16A, so probably not the same rule of thumb.

But yeah, it is a pity that they're moving away from the ESP8266. It's a good chip.

ebendl

Expert Member
Do you think these guys like Sonoff and Tuya, will ever sell the plugs with OTA Firmware replacement allowed?

Seems crazy. I know they want to own their plugs and data, but the schlep we need to get to only use local control is a bit ridiculous, not to say that we invalidate the warranty immediately.

Just received some Shelley's (holy moly are they small) and hoping I won't need to flash them to tasmota as they have a MQTT, interface. Just wondering if it will still be calling home.

I doubt it. Their support would need to support not just the usual clueless non-IT users, but now also the guys who want to try and load their own firmware. And just one look at the thread where people are trying to open up their garages / gates using Sonoffs / Shelly's and you get the idea.

Last edited:

Greglsh

If in doubt, rather go for the Qualitel ones at R250 from BW. Those can at least be opened to flash directly if Tuyaconvert doesn't work. The cheaper ones look like they sealed, so likely very difficult to open if you want to flash. Of course, if you happy to stay in the Tuya ecosystem then it's much of a muchness
I got 2 of these Qualitel plugs, tried Tuya-convert but no luck. I opened it up and it does not look that easy to flash them as I am struggling to find the pins. They have them marked on the back of the circuit board but they are just small solder dots. Not easy at all to connect them.

Greglsh

Okay, so I managed to flash the Qualitel to Tasmota. My soldering skills are not that great so took me some time to do that, but otherwise pretty straight forward. Will be getting some more of these.

I recently bought the BNETA smart plugs from Takealot. I tried to flash with Tuya convert but had no luck as it seems to have the lastest firmware from Tuya.

I opened the plugs up and could then flash the plugs by soldering to the serial pins and using tasmotizer to flash. Worked perfectly if anyone is struggling to flash. just try the physical flash method.

markshep

I use the Sonoff basic or mini on appliances and the TH16 on aircons and geysers. Qualitel light switches are the best. I got some from takealot in December and had no problem flashing with tuya-convert

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Having endless hassles with mine.

They keep disconnecting at end of the dhcp lease (I think...after a couple hours anyway). Very annoying & not sure what to do about it

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Are you using factory firmware or tasmota?
Tasmota...whatever was current version a month ago.

They also don't seem to be obeying the static IPs assigned by the router reliably.

And all the other devices on the network are fine.

I've now tweaked two of the commands (SetOptions41 which is ARP, and set a static IP) on one of the plugs so will see if that makes a difference