SA smart plugs that can be flashed with Tasmota

HaltAndCatchFire

I have 4 GU10 BNETA bulbs a d sadly I could not Tuya Convert them. I tried over and over again, but I suspect that the firmware they ship with has the hole fixed. Same for the BNETA smart plug. I got one early last year and I could flash it and got another one late last year and no luck flashing it.
Damn that's what I was afraid of...

Good that the they are fixing security holes but bad, cause now we are subject to the Chinese cloud.

Tinuva

The Magician
If in doubt, rather go for the Qualitel ones at R250 from BW. Those can at least be opened to flash directly if Tuyaconvert doesn't work. The cheaper ones look like they sealed, so likely very difficult to open if you want to flash. Of course, if you happy to stay in the Tuya ecosystem then it's much of a muchness
Looks like these are now on promotion at R220 until 2021/04/26.

zarf

Looks like these are now on promotion at R220 until 2021/04/26.

Does anyone know whether these Bneta/Qualitel look-alikes from Builders have power measurement? Builders also sells the Bneta-branded one for R349. I'm not sure if there's a budget version of the device that lacks measurement or if the R129 difference is just for the Bneta branding. The Builders website listing are useless, but the Bneta listing mentions power metering in the product title while the other listing does not.

Charlesjjm

Does anyone know whether these Bneta/Qualitel look-alikes from Builders have power measurement? Builders also sells the Bneta-branded one for R349. I'm not sure if there's a budget version of the device that lacks measurement or if the R129 difference is just for the Bneta branding. The Builders website listing are useless, but the Bneta listing mentions power metering in the product title while the other listing does not.
The Builders ones are Qualitel. You get power metering in the Smart Life App.

zarf

The Builders ones are Qualitel. You get power metering in the Smart Life App.
Thanks - good to know. Their web site claimed they had 4 in stock at my third-nearest Builders, so I made the trek out there this afternoon only to find that someone beat me to it and the shelf above the price tag was empty. The in-store stock system said they were sold out, but their website quantities only update overnight!

ipodmusicman

I decided to go the Tuya Local route for my Tuya stuff that I am unable to flash. Works like a charm! Seems this is the route we’d have to go now that the exploit is so to say addressed in later firmware versions of plugs, lights, etc.

Tinuva

The Magician
Flashed a plug yesterday. Some nasty soldering later, it is running tasmota 9.3.1...still need to calibrate it.

87d175a05238de8fa0fa81798f270445.jpg

ebendl

Expert Member
I decided to go the Tuya Local route for my Tuya stuff that I am unable to flash. Works like a charm! Seems this is the route we’d have to go now that the exploit is so to say addressed in later firmware versions of plugs, lights, etc.
I'd still try and flash it where possible -- just feel a lot better with Tasmota / ESPHome running. That being said, for stuff like the CBI Astute that I'm running a lot more current through and putting it in my DB, I'm definitely not opening and will run Tuya Local (and block them from the Internet).

aussiematt

Without knowing anything about Tasmota or Tuya or anything like that, I am just looking at finding the easiest way to get notifications either to my phone or google home speakers or both, the easiest way possible. I am assuming a power monitoring switch would be the best way, has anyone here done this before? I currently have Google devices and some Sonoff motion sensors/ with a sonoff zigbee bridge and Eachen smart lights as I don't have neutral wires running to my light switches. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mier

Expert Member
Just bought a CBI Astute at Builders Helderberg. They have one left. R349

chiefdj

Managed to buy on backorder it seems, they look identical to the Bneta unit I flashed from Takealot last year... oof if they're flashable I'll be giddy
Just wondering if you received this and if you tried to flash it?