SA smart plugs that can be flashed with Tasmota

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Oh I was too lazy. I let them courier it from Constantia Berg to me in the Northern Suburbs. Its almost a 45min-50min drive. Decided the courier price is worth that time,

Anyways, not happy but now it means I need to up soldering skills. I need new soldering tips for my Wellerman.

Ah, I see they fixed the delivery rates. Previously (months ago) they used to charge a per KM rate that worked out to around R10/KM so I never bothered ordering stuff with delivery. Good to know for future orders.

ipodmusicman

Hi folks

I see that Takealot sells Broadlink SA smart plugs. The SP2 is compatible with Home Assistant and since I have 3 RM4 minis around the house which I got onto my network without having to add them to the cloud, I would think that the whole mission with Tuya convert not working any more, etc this would be a better option.

Thoughts?

Tinuva

The Magician
Hi folks

I see that Takealot sells Broadlink SA smart plugs. The SP2 is compatible with Home Assistant and since I have 3 RM4 minis around the house which I got onto my network without having to add them to the cloud, I would think that the whole mission with Tuya convert not working any more, etc this would be a better option.

Thoughts?
Do they do power metering? Pretty much the biggest reason I go for the 16a plugs. I use the power metering more than the power button.

ipodmusicman

Do they do power metering? Pretty much the biggest reason I go for the 16a plugs. I use the power metering more than the power button.

Ahh yes, that is true. In my case I don’t need power monitoring. Thankfully the plug that I do use for power monitoring was still the old firmware which I could flash back then.

Anyone here know a place/person selling pre-flashed monitoring plugs? Would be a killer market

ebendl

Expert Member
Anyone here know a place/person selling pre-flashed monitoring plugs? Would be a killer market

I know Smartkit.co.za used to sell flashed sonoffs, but I don't know if they do it any more. And since the plugs are a little bit harder to flash (not the easiest to open, you have to take out the Wifi boards, solder to smaller pads etc.) it might cost a lot more.

I don't really know if there's a big market -- most people are happy enough to use the original firmware and app that came with it. While flashing itself is a complicated thing, you also need to set up much much more after you've flashed say Tasmota to be able to use the plug in an efficient manner, which I doubt most people want to do. E.g. set up Home Assistant/NodeRed, MQTT, automations, port-forwarding to get to your system etc.

zarf

Now I am really annoyed.

So R220 for the plug was a bargain. Although a mission to get the stock.
Now I have the plugs...and it has a non flashable chip on #(*$(#)(@SA*()FDA.
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

This tywe2s chip costs another R100 without shipping and you can _only_ find it on aliexpress. Another :mad: moment.

Bleh, if I knew this, I would buy more of the Bneta plugs and be done with it. Ohwell will wait a few more months and get my soldering skills up. Need new tips and then there is this heat gun station I am not happy about.
I too fell for the lure of R220 Builders bargain. I had two on order before you shared the bad news about the module change and they arrived just I saw your post. Today I fired up the soldering iron and replaced the WB2S with as ESP-12F using a bunch of flying leads from the PCB to the ESP-12F which I hot-glued to the side of the case roughly where the WB2S would have been.

The new versions have changed from the HLW8012 power measurement chip to the BL0937, the button is on GPIO3 instead of GPIO0 (GPIO0 isn't available on the PCB solder pads of the TYWE2S, which is pin-compatible with the WB2S) and there's no pin to drive the the power status LEDs because they're just wired in parallel with the relay. If you use the Ultralink UL-P01W template and drop the LED1 you'll have a template that works as is if you manage to source the TYWE2S modules.

Even if I had some TYWE2S modules I'm not sure I'd tackle the change again - getting the WB2S out is a real mission because it's quite a tight friction fit into the main PCB even when you get all the solder connections sucked off. I did it just to see if I could, but the time investment isn't worth it if there are still plugs on the market that can be Tasmotised without the need for a brain transplant. Unfortunately I suspect that the next batch of BNETA plugs they receive from China will similarly have switched to WB2S if that happens to be the cheapest module on offer from Tuya at the moment.

Park@82

Honorary Master
Some advice please! This is all very new to me.

I am looking for a "smart plug" that can monitor electricity usage. I dont currently have any devices running Tasmota. I don't have a PI to flash firmware with and I have no intend on opening a unit and soldering wires. But picking a smart plug that could be compatible with a bigger ecosystem seems smart...

I saw a VIZIA smart plug (R400) on Takealot and I then see VIZIA has a partnership with Tuya https://www.tuya.com/news-details/t...of-the-south-african-iot-market-Ka4abs9cpgw8g

Does this mean that it could be easier to get Tasmota firmware on VIZIA smart products? Or is it basically going to be the same process as on the cheaper (R350) BNETA?

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
Some advice please! This is all very new to me.

I am looking for a "smart plug" that can monitor electricity usage. I dont currently have any devices running Tasmota. I don't have a PI to flash firmware with and I have no intend on opening a unit and soldering wires. But picking a smart plug that could be compatible with a bigger ecosystem seems smart...

I saw a VIZIA smart plug (R400) on Takealot and I then see VIZIA has a partnership with Tuya https://www.tuya.com/news-details/t...of-the-south-african-iot-market-Ka4abs9cpgw8g

Does this mean that it could be easier to get Tasmota firmware on VIZIA smart products? Or is it basically going to be the same process as on the cheaper (R350) BNETA?

Almost all of the plugs described in this thread runs Tuya. Tuya whitelists their solutions to other companies who can't spend that much on R&D to build out an entire ecosystem. So Bneta, Ultralink, VIZIA etc. are all using Tuya underneath.

Flashing Tasmota on these devices is preferred if you want complete local control, ability to tweak the power monitoring and do not wish to have them exposed to the cloud. But since Tuya started using non ESP chips, that has basically started becoming impossible.

In principle you can also use something like https://github.com/rospogrigio/localtuya to control them locally and get the data/switches into something like Home Assistant. If you then block them on your network, you can prevent them from contacting the cloud. But it is second-best as to flashing alternative firmware on them (for example, you can't tune the power measuring).

Personally, I prefer not to have to open up these devices and modifying them, since I am plugging them into my house' power sockets and running devices through them. Last thing I want is a short, a fire and an insurance problem because I modified them. So unless I can flash the firmware without opening them, I'd rather use localTuya.

You can argue that modifying the software is the same problem as opening the plug, but in my mind much less detectable (after the plug burned down).

Aardvark

So the tuya smartplugs have an option to keep the the power status when they are powered up.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Wondering if this smart multi plug for Brazil will work with new SA plugs?

[US$43.99 17% OFF]RSH Tuya Brazil WiFi Smart Power Strip with 4 Outlets 4USB Ports 1.4m Extension Cord Voice works with Alexa Google Home Smart Home from Consumer Electronics on banggood

Speedster

Honorary Master
With sonoff LAN control and HA's localTuya integration, is there still any benefit to using Tasmota?

Tinuva

The Magician
With sonoff LAN control and HA's localTuya integration, is there still any benefit to using Tasmota?
power monitoring is far more accurate with tasmota. locatuya also sometimes struggle to get switches online if they went unavailable.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Anybody used this wifi outdoor socket?

I have installed one of my Sonoff S55 outdoor plugs. It works fine.

Bulk 90%, of my devices are tuya smartlife. So would prefer to use only Tuya Smart life devices.
fda9260cf9023406f5fd1a9ff2bf98c0.jpg

Saba'a

Executive Member
Interesting wifi tuya plug with new and old SA plug. Just bit expensive.

Check this out on takealot: Smartsocket WiFi Power Plug Adapter - White

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Has Ultralink gone tits up? Their plugs just suddenly gone and I want more.