SA smart plugs that can be flashed with Tasmota

ebendl

Expert Member
Damn, missed this special by a week!
Getting one for my mosquito burner. No more replacing pads every night or turning it on and off. Only need to replace the liquid every 45 days (or we'll see how long we can stretch it with a smart switch). And will set up a push notification after 45 days to remind me to replace. Sorted.
I've always wondered whether you could measure the power usage of the mosquito thingies (perhaps rather the diffuser that takes the bottles with liquid) and then pick up that it might be empty based on the power patterns.

But yeah, the idea to at least time control it more intelligently (i.e. when sun goes down mosquito burner comes online) makes a lot of sense!

wernerhp

I've always wondered whether you could measure the power usage of the mosquito thingies (perhaps rather the diffuser that takes the bottles with liquid) and then pick up that it might be empty based on the power patterns.

But yeah, the idea to at least time control it more intelligently (i.e. when sun goes down mosquito burner comes online) makes a lot of sense!
I was thinking, turn it on when I turn off the bed lamps at night and turn it off when they come on in the morning or maybe some time in the morning before I get up. If it runs less than 8h a night, I could maybe stretch it to more than the advertised 45d. Interesting idea with the power monitoring. Don't think it will work for the matt, but maybe for the liquid. Something to experiment with.

With winter closing in fast, it can also be nice for pre-heating the bedroom or an electric blanket and can double for the fan in summer.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Looks almost exactly like the BNETA in form and display. Their bulbs even use the same promo images as BNETA. I'll gladly take the knock and test it out

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Don’t see how the power usage would change.

It’s just going to heat the coil regardless of whether there is something to heat or not.

But yes lots of savings always knowing it goes off and not forgetting it and more than the sun I would control it with temperatures.

ebendl

Expert Member
For all those who do end up flashing these plugs to Tasmota, I found these rules quite useful: https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/issues/4905#issuecomment-454522374

It is basically rules that, once the power usage goes above 10W, it sets the MQTT updates that Tasmota makes dependent on whether the power changed by 10% or more.

But below 10W it stops Tasmota from reporting changes based on power changes. This is because changing from 2 - 3W is a 50% increase, but 1W is hardly significant and possibly even reading fluctuations, so you're just wasting MQTT packets.

adielk

Expert Member
The Qualitel - though I see Takealot is only expecting delivery around the 11th of June :oops:
Does qualitel use the smartlife app i.e. one used by ultralink plug?

Seems like Bneta also uses the Smart Life app.

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
Looks almost exactly like the BNETA in form and display. Their bulbs even use the same promo images as BNETA. I'll gladly take the knock and test it out
Actually the BNETA's button is below the socket, while the Qualitel is above it. The latter makes more sense to me in that the cable doesn't obscure the button. But not really the end of the world.

I can also imagine if you use it in a multi-plug, there's a bigger chance that the multiple itself might have a switch above the socket which the Qualitel will obscure in turn.

1590357328867.png1590357351131.png

SAguy

Expert Member
Actually the BNETA's button is below the socket, while the Qualitel is above it. The latter makes more sense to me in that the cable doesn't obscure the button. But not really the end of the world.

I can also imagine if you use it in a multi-plug, there's a bigger chance that the multiple itself might have a switch above the socket which the Qualitel will obscure in turn.

View attachment 845397View attachment 845399
What's the location of the plug pins on the back of the Qualitel though, if it's at the bottom directly behind the plug socket then it's probably going to be an issue for most homes - Pushing the Qualitel in will touch the physical switch on the wall socket.

Concentric

Can confirm that the qualitel led lights are tuya convertable.
I did 3 last week.
Worked without a hiccup.
There is also a tasmota template for it

adielk

Expert Member
No clue. I flashed them straigh away.
Its tuya based so afaik they are compatible with multiple tuya based apps.

Heads up, they are on sale (nearly 50% off) directly from qualitel:
works out much cheaper than takealot+59 fastway courier.
Thanks. Bought 4. If not smartlife will resell them.

So hoping they are Smart Life app based

Update: delivered today! Tuesday 26 May

Last edited: