SA television: Stale news is bad news

duderoo

Expert Member
What is worth watching on SABC? Even their olympic coverage is a let down.

chrisc

Executive Member
A TV station run by bureaucrats with no imagination? What do you expect?

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
Oh well, I never watch SABC news. Their weather map is so out of date. My ONLY news source is eNews Channel. Big up to eNews Channel

chrisc

Executive Member
eNews is still only 1/2 the story. Also watch BBC and Al-Jazeera. Then read Time, The Telegraph and other good right-wing publications. The Spectator and Vanity Fair will complement your news

werny

Expert Member
I dont even watch the news on TV anymore. :whistling:

News24 is my new news source, much better that SABC News.

j4ck455

Executive Member
One big issue for me, with SABC3 news, is that the SABC insists on using so called journalists in the field that are incapable of speaking English (especially those that are clearly entrenched in the ministerial enterages). In contrast, the studio news presenters are usually well spoken.

Voicy

Honorary Master

If you only read News24 ... you're gonna have a bad time!

The degenerate level of journalism displayed on their site makes me cringe on a daily basis.

My recent favourite is their report on the Aurora gunman, saying something along the lines of "He had a modified magazine allowing him to shoot up to 50-60 rounds a minute." There are so many things wrong with that sentence, yet it goes through nonetheless.

Also, I grew up looking up to journalists and editors as the pinnacle of English linguists, knowing how to use the language best in terms of grammar / spelling and phrasing. Today's journalists seem to reflect our education system in terms of quality and it's frustrating to read.

lexis

Objectively people will flock back to SABC if they improve their content.

Subjectively they irritate the crap out of me with their insistence on TV licences for a service that I neither need nor requested. :mad:

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
What is interesting is that no one bothers with race and colour other than the ANC! They aim for colour and buddies and then quality might get a place!
Sorry SA-ANC news, it is all about quality, nothing else!

unrealchris

Well, you cant have in your face reporting by the SABC, rather boring and safe reporting else you will just upset your friends and masters in the ANC

unrealchris

WOW! This is truely sad. I dont watch SABC or any other news, but to rely on news24 for your news is truly sad. News24 was at a time decent place to get some of your news, but not anymore, they have become the same as the Sun / Son according to me.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
I don't care for the news, all I know is watching anything on SABC is as exciting as eating a bowl of lukewarm regurgitated vomit.

entrepr

Expert Member
I stopped watching tv news a while ago - too many talking heads. I would rather read the print than have it read out for me, and online one can click on the graphics and videos to complement.

I definitely recommend www.mg.co.za for greater depth and insight - especially on Friday's after the print paper comes out. I like to support them and their courage in the face of attempts to criminalise their excellent expose's.

Terencek

Expert Member
Interesting reflection of the current state of the SABC:

An estimated one billion people watched the Olympics opening ceremonies live around the world. Even in small Indian villages they watched it.

SABC didn't bother -- for live opening coverage you had to be among the moneyed minority here with satellite TV. An absolute disgrace -- and salt was rubbed in the wound because many TV schedules (provided by the SABC) actually promised live coverage of the opening.