SA to EU plugs/cables for travelling

Bl1zz4rd

Hi everyone!

I'll be travelling later this month, and am looking for one of these:

Original-factory-south-africa-to-eu-adaptor.jpg

Does anyone know where to find one locally?

I have already checked Cape Union, Takealot, and a bunch of travel stores. All the reps said they're hard to find because of EU/SABS regulations.

Otherwise, can I get a C13 (kettle) to Schuko cable and plug that into my laptop's power brick? This is what I'm talking about:

F7316169-02.jpg

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

PhireSide

Executive Member
You could try your local Clicks. They usually have a travelling section near the electronics division

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Most "travel stores" will have travel adapters. I saw some nice ones on TAKEALOT before that covers all plugs and requirements withing a single package.

Just make sure that those cheaper adapters can handle the current for high-drain devices.

Bl1zz4rd

You could try your local Clicks. They usually have a travelling section near the electronics division
Shot! I tried Clicks, Cape Union, Duesouth, and Frasers at Canal Walk yesterday, with no luck. Apparently something to do with electrical standards/regulations. So they're really hard to find.

Bl1zz4rd

Most "travel stores" will have travel adapters. I saw some nice ones on TAKEALOT before that covers all plugs and requirements withing a single package.

Just make sure that those cheaper adapters can handle the current for high-drain devices.
I've found a bunch on Takealot too. Some that do output to Schuko. But none of those have our SA thick 3-prong as an input unfortunately.

I guess I could daisy chain and have the 3-prong go into an SA to UK adaptor, and then that go into a UK to EU one.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Have you checked Cape Union Mart or Trappers? Might be expensive, but they often have quite the range at their shops. I love walking through those stores and seeing things I can't afford...

Bl1zz4rd

Have you checked Cape Union Mart or Trappers? Might be expensive, but they often have quite the range at their shops. I love walking through those stores and seeing things I can't afford...
Me too! I did that at the Canal Walk Adventure Center yesterday. Unfortunately they haven't had any such adaptors in ages.

moklet

Expert Member
I just made my own, just got a janus plug, had some old cable lying around with euro plug, and done

Blu82

Expert Member
There is an awesome shop in foreign departure at OR Thambo which I would recommend since they have the smallest adapter plugs I have seen at prices similar to local stores. I think it is this one. The plugs they stock also allows you to use two pin or 3 pin SA plugs without an adapter.

Nod

Executive Member
You can buy the C13 (kettle) plug at most shops in Europe, and they are pretty cheap too.
I actually have a few with me if you are in the Cape Town (Bellville/Somerset West) region.

RossiRPI

You can get them at the airport before you fly out, most of the duty free shops have them. If you don't want to risk the shops at the airport being out of stock you can try Dis-Chem, they have a decent size travel section.

Bl1zz4rd

You can buy the C13 (kettle) plug at most shops in Europe, and they are pretty cheap too.
I actually have a few with me if you are in the Cape Town (Bellville/Somerset West) region.
Awesome! And I could just plug that straight into my laptop's power supply, right? It'll do the voltage conversion automatically?

Nod

Executive Member
Awesome! And I could just plug that straight into my laptop's power supply, right? It'll do the voltage conversion automatically?
The EU is also on 230V AC 50Hz, so no issues there.
Do you laptop power supply use a kettle plug or the butterfly plug? HP laptops use the butterfly plug, for example.

Bl1zz4rd

The EU is also on 230V AC 50Hz, so no issues there.
Do you laptop power supply use a kettle plug or the butterfly plug? HP laptops use the butterfly plug, for example.
I'll check on the socket type shortly, as it's in my car. I'm also going to the U.S., so I'll be using their 120V sockets for some of my trip.

This is the rear of my power supply: 20170306_125756.jpg

It says 110V-240V, so I should be good! :)