SA will not run out of water: Molewa

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
South Africa will not run out of water in the next 100 years, Water Affairs Minister Edna Molewa assured MPs on Tuesday.

Opening debate on her 2013/14 budget in the National Assembly, Molewa dismissed what she referred to as "the current myth" about the country running dry.

"You must have heard, from one source or another, how South Africa will 'run out of water' in 2013, 2015, 2025, or 2030, depending on which news source you rely on.

"Let me assure you, as the custodian of water resources in this country, that as we enter the third decade of equity and redistribution, South Africa will not run out of water in the next 100 years."

She said this did not mean there would be no problems "regarding water resources' availability".

However, her department was confident that as a result of its planning, future programmes, and the development and management of infrastructure, it was "geared towards sustainability and a secured future in terms of security of [water] supply".

Earlier, briefing reporters at Parliament, Molewa said: "We might have water shortages if we don't do certain things, but running out of water completely is a no-no."

Source : Sapa /rod/dd/jk
Date : 21 May 2013 12:45

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
R670 Billion needed for water, sanitation

South Africa needs to invest an estimated R670 billion in new water and sanitation infrastructure over the next decade, Water Affairs Minister Edna Molewa said on Tuesday.

Speaking during debate in the National Assembly on her department's 2013/14 budget, she said this included the cost of refurbishing the country's ageing, existing plants and treatment works.

"Capital investment in new water and sanitation infrastructure for the entire value chain... is projected to require an estimated R670 billion over the next 10 years, or an equivalent of R67 billion a year."

However, only R30 billion a year was available from current resources, and government would have to look to the private sector for help.

"These investments will have to be funded from on-budget and off-budget sources through the private sector," she said.

Source : Sapa /rod/dd/jk
Date : 21 May 2013 12:55

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
so we won't run out of water, we'll run out of money first... :wtf:

daveza

Honorary Master
"These investments will have to be funded from on-budget and off-budget sources through the private sector," she said.
In other words tax ?

Beachless

Executive Member
so we won't run out of water, we'll run out of money first... :wtf:
We wont run out of water.

Disclaimer:
Water may look, smell and taste like sewage but it is still water.

A friend of mine filled his new pool last year and the tap water was greener than his fish ponds water.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Tell that to the thousands of folks in Ermelo who've been without water for months.

http://www.citypress.co.za/news/ermelos-water-woes-deepen-as-dams-dry-out/

"Stark said the association had warned the municipality 18 months ago about the town’s looming water crisis. It recently offered R9 million to remove silt that has been building up in the two dams since the 1950s, Stark said, but local politicians declined.
“They said the association didn’t have the technical skills. We said: ‘Don’t be stupid, because we’re going to get qualified engineers to do the job,’” said Stark."

"Msukaligwa mayor Sipho Bongwe denied this.
“These are lies. The EBA think they’re the Messiah we should have to account to,” Bongwe insisted.
“We’re talking about the dams not receiving water from the stream. What has silt got to do with water shortages?” the mayor asked.

A local engineer, who asked to remain anonymous, said removing the silt would make the dams deeper and increase their capacity – but that’s a long-term plan that won’t immediately end the water shortage."

:rolleyes:
Some more awesome words of wisdom from our clever ANC members.

Last edited:

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I like funny threads. :p
Think that's funny?! My sister's husband was called up by some big shot ANC mouthpiece in the Department of Agriculture the other day, apparently he had to give him a list of how many of their Drakensberger Bulls were pregnant.
True story.

It's not even a case of this country being run by idiots. It'll actually be better if the country wasn't being "run" by anyone at all.

Hemps

Honorary Master
I remember a couple years back in Eastern Cape there was a water shortage, this idiot is interviewed on the radio and chirps, there is no crisis it rained last night and there is rain forecast for the weekend, I think the Radio Algoa DJ was like WTF as there seemed like silence for 20seconds.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Something else I recently read about was an ANC Councillor in Queenstown who blamed old government for making the dams too big, if they where smaller they would fill up faster.

Thingyyyyyy

Expert Member
Think that's funny?! My sister's husband was called up by some big shot ANC mouthpiece in the Department of Agriculture the other day, apparently he had to give him a list of how many of their Drakensberger Bulls were pregnant.
True story.

It's not even a case of this country being run by idiots. It'll actually be better if the country wasn't being "run" by anyone at all.
:wtf:
:D :D

Thingyyyyyy

Expert Member
Something else I recently read about was an ANC Councillor in Queenstown who blamed old government for making the dams too big, if they where smaller they would fill up faster.
Ockie The dam wall is a bad Idea!!!

:D :D :D

Lightscribe

Banned
True story.

Hahaha! Ok, that's funnier than the sad dam story. :D