SAA business rescue plan in deep trouble

diesel

Expert Member
Unions wont give up, they will fight this until the end and sabotage the rescue efforts by organising strikes etc. SAA is doomed or rather the tax payer is doomed.

Arzy

Honorary Master
Unions need to justify their existence by becoming belligerent, what they don't realize though is that they simply play into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

"The people are going to lose jobs!"
<insert strike here>
<SAA loses even more money>
"They want to fire even more people!"
<insert strike here>
<insert additional wage demand here>
<SAA loses even more money>
<SAA closes>
"We told you the people were going to lose their jobs!"
<insert capitalism blame here>

FlashSA

Executive Member
Flew SAA up to JHB Monday morning and back to Slummies yesterday lunch time.

Used Miles for 4 pax and paid R1100 in taxes. Given a cheese breakfast roll + Valpre on Monday and a cheese filled croissant +Coke Light yesterday. Other pax had similiar.

Check in woman in JHB was a proper b*tch but that is to be expected with SAA.

Overall, I'm glad we were able to worsen their financial situation by only paying a grand for 4 return tickets....

Oh, and the pilot had to go back to the beginning of the runway in East London to go fetch the main landing gear he managed to smash into the tarmac on landing....

Surv0

Executive Member
Just close the shitty government controlled airline down... Government is now clearly the reason it is so screwed... sounds like they didnt really have a choice on how they operated.. hostage situation.

Kelerei

Expert Member
Oh, and the pilot had to go back to the beginning of the runway in East London to go fetch the main landing gear he managed to smash into the tarmac on landing....
11/29 is only 1,939 m long -- if the weather conditions of the day suggest a non-negligible possibility of runway overrun, the pilot will land the plane hard, passenger comfort be damned. Even less margin for error if ATC vectored you onto 06/24 instead.

EDIT: Seems from Flightradar24 that SA471 landed on 11/29 at 11:43 local time.

Last edited:

FlashSA

Executive Member
11/29 is only 1,939 m long -- if the weather conditions of the day suggest a non-negligible possibility of runway overrun, the pilot will land the plane hard, passenger comfort be damned. Even less margin for error if ATC vectored you onto 06/24 instead.

EDIT: Seems from Flightradar24 that SA471 landed on 11/29 at 11:43 local time.
I was on the aisle so didn't have the best visual, but we seemed to touch down very late and bounced back up and then down again. I saw airport complex grass out of the window for much longer than usual before the first smack down onto the runway.

I might be wrong, but it felt like a very late put down and as you say, our runway is damn short with no margin for error.

Your flight number is correct.

JayM

Expert Member
Explain to me your logic. ANC and EFF are natural bedfellows ...
If ANC is comfortably getting 60%+ of the vote, they don't need a coalition. I don't see any evidence that the ANC wants to get in bed with the EFF. Why would they want to share if they don't have to?

wingnut771

Executive Member
If ANC is comfortably getting 60%+ of the vote, they don't need a coalition. I don't see any evidence that the ANC wants to get in bed with the EFF. Why would they want to share if they don't have to?
anc got 57.5% of the vote in the last election, so they need eff (10.79%) more now than ever.

JayM

Expert Member
The ANC connived with the EFF to get rid of the DA mayors in PE and Tshwane.
That's exactly my point. They had to because they didn't have a majority. Such a situation is not going to happen in the National Assembly because their majority isn't in danger (mostly due to the DA's implosion).

Gaz{M}

Executive Member

Used Miles for 4 pax and paid R1100 in taxes. Given a cheese breakfast roll + Valpre on Monday and a cheese filled croissant +Coke Light yesterday. Other pax had similiar.

Overall, I'm glad we were able to worsen their financial situation by only paying a grand for 4 return tickets....

I hope you appreciated that R250 bottle of water and R700 roll.

FlashSA

Executive Member
I hope you appreciated that R250 bottle of water and R700 roll.
Both flights the food was prepared the day before. So not much bang for buck, even considering the tender behind the servings...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

How often do you fly in and out of EL?

f22raptor

Chartered Accountants are not the answer to SAA's troubles.

I am sure the people doing this business rescue are CAs.

It does not make sense for SAA to stop flying to all domestic routes bar CPT when these routes are flown by 3/4 local airlines who will continue doing so in the foreseeable future.

Planning to cut flights to London is absurd https://www.iol.co.za/business-report/economy/south-african-airways-may-sell-prized-heathrow-slots-to-raise-cash-42658900

What these CAs are trying to do is, downsize the airline by cutting routes which will also lead to fewer planes. An airline with fewer aircraft and destinations is easily manageable and will turn a profit like Air Seychelles.

North America is also a lucrative route for SAA but there is talk they want to reduce frequency.

It seems to me SAA will fly to routes on they will be the only airline flying that route.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Great Moneyweb article today: https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/companies-and-deals/sa-airlink-comair-could-determine-saas-fate/?utm_source=Moneyweb&utm_campaign=16d2256282-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_02_13_05_57&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b106a40770-16d2256282-141301501&mc_cid=16d2256282&mc_eid=158ce85317

TL;DR:

SA Airlink and Comair seem to have a large chunk of voting blocks when it comes to accepting the business rescue plan due to them being large creditors of SAA. I predict the business rescue plan being voted against and liquidation following shortly thereafter.