SAA desperately needs its government bailout

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha, SAA isn't competition. Domestic tickets are already expensive as not a lot of people use them, because as per everything in SA if it's not got a lot of usage the price goes up.
You are wrong. The domestic component is driven by the overseas markets. Locals use LCA's. When SAA is not an option LCA's will capitalize of those EUROS and Dollars and we will pay for it. Simple really.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Yeah I`m with you guys on this. The company is in financial kak, flying with them is a kak idea

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Yeah I`m with you guys on this. The company is in financial kak, flying with them is a kak idea
Naa. Friend is commercial SAA pilot flying overseas routes on big stuff. The servicing of fleet is paramount and by law certain levels need to be maintained regardless of what is happening behind the scenes at SAA. If there ever was a cause for concern the shutdown would be immediate and the whole fleet would be grounded.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Naa. Friend is commercial SAA pilot flying overseas routes on big stuff. The servicing of fleet is paramount and by law certain levels need to be maintained regardless of what is happening behind the scenes at SAA. If there ever was a cause for concern the shutdown would be immediate and the whole fleet would be grounded.
International, they will make sure everything's 100%.

Now, what about local?

Swa

Honorary Master
Yes airports company of South Africa, runs at a profit and pay dividends to its share holders.
One has to ask how though. Having one part of a bankrupt government making money isn't really an achievement. I'd like to see their balance sheet if they were asking competitive prices instead of passing them off to struggling airlines like SAA.

There's probably a lot of unnoticed looting going on there as well and imo there should be a full scale investigation into all state enterprises.

Swa

Honorary Master
Generalizing of course but a plane is a plane domestic or international route, state owned or civilian. Same rules apply.
Yet it took almost 50% of an airline's fleet to be in disrepair before our local authority decided to ground it the last time.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
While the prices on some international flights might be attractive e.g. Perth, a lot of the older planes are seriously outdated inside. Like the IFE equipment is a tiny pixelated touch screen from 2001.

maeztro

"The costs of their repatriation would have been enormous."

I might be in a different league here, but someone edumucate me please, so I can be woke. 2 billion seems to me to be enormous. If 2 billion isn't enormous, where does enormous start?

santaman202

Well yes it was a first world country as it was allied with NATO during the cold war, any country that was 1st world, 2nd world was all Soviet States and third world was any not allied with anyone.
It actually had nothing to do with economical stability, though a lot of people adopted it incorrectly to mean such as it sounds better.
Straight from google again ?! If the economy has nothing to do with first world status then all african countries could gain such status by simply joining NATO. Judging by that comment I highly doubt you even know what NATO is, maybe you should educate yourself before you spread lies like the anc/eff.

santaman202

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha, SAA isn't competition. Domestic tickets are already expensive as not a lot of people use them, because as per everything in SA if it's not got a lot of usage the price goes up.
FML this guy should seriously contemplate on joining the anc/eff. Are you even aware of the fact that SAA used to be a lucrative SOE ?

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
Straight from google again ?! If the economy has nothing to do with first world status then all african countries could gain such status by simply joining NATO. Judging by that comment I highly doubt you even know what NATO is, maybe you should educate yourself before you spread lies like the anc/eff.
I really don't think you understood a... Fek it sleep time.

Swa

Honorary Master
He is correct. 1st vs 3rd world has feck all to do with your economic status and everything with your stance in the cold war. It is actually an outdated term that's been hijacked and joining NATO now after the fact isn't going to change anybody's status and why would you even want to change status now?

Lupus

Honorary Master
FML this guy should seriously contemplate on joining the anc/eff. Are you even aware of the fact that SAA used to be a lucrative SOE ?
Are you even aware all the SOEs used to be lucrative? I mean once upon a time, long long ago roughly 20 years ago?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Actually no, it's from living in the 80s when the cold war was still happening and learning about it in these buildings where people stood up in front of you and taught you things about the world. Not just this little bubble we live in.
See this little image, the blue ones are first world, the red ones second world and the green third world as it stood during the cold war.

Reactions: Swa