SAA desperately needs its government bailout

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Yeah I`m with you guys on this. The company is in financial kak, flying with them is a kak idea
I'm definitely in agreement, however just two days ago I had to book a lengthy, expensive flight route and my choices came down to using SAA for two of the legs, or pay R5k more AND have a total 10 hour longer flight duration.

Practicality put my principles in check :(

gamer16

Honorary Master
Therein lies the problem word, "realistic" outcome.
The ANC are pure fantasists and are far removed from reality or anything outcomes-based.
They will beat the same old Marxist / Leninist drum till everyone eats dirt and dies of famine.

How ironic that Soviet / Eastern block ideology is now the greatest colonizer, taking up all the real estate of the African mind.
So far as I see it ALL previous regimes be it communism or dicatatorships in one way or another had the wellbeing of its people as a whole in hgh priority and oftten the main priority as is my opionion of Nazi Germany.

The ANC however (Actually something much more specific and widespread but can't say that) has as near as makes no difference no interest in anything other than each man for himself, which says a lot about their kind.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Actually no, it's from living in the 80s when the cold war was still happening and learning about it in these buildings where people stood up in front of you and taught you things about the world. Not just this little bubble we live in.
See this little image, the blue ones are first world, the red ones second world and the green third world as it stood during the cold war.

Sweden, Finland and Ireland used to be 3rd World and we were 1st World? o_O

Lupus

Honorary Master
Sweden, Finland and Ireland used to be 3rd World and we were 1st World? o_O
Yup scary stuff hey :). As I said during the cold war it had nothing to do with economic status. It started to become that around the 90s. Didn't you ever wonder why no one ever said we're a 2nd world country? Cause Third world and First world sound better to describe developing and deveoped economies better.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Mango gets preferential rates by using SAA's infrastructure but may also be a boon for them as it fills up otherwise open seats. Still an overall unprofitable situation.
There is no proof that Mango is actually profitable, and plenty of suggestions that its overheads are hidden by SAA:

Reactions: Swa

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
So... how's that "business rescue" coming on? Or is it just another flimsy excuse for oinkage?

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
If we are going to drill down into subsidiaries and claim them "profitable" then let's dig into Eskom divisions and say "look, this one is profitable. Nothing to see here." and claim a win for that piece of the festering pie.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Yup scary stuff hey :). As I said during the cold war it had nothing to do with economic status. It started to become that around the 90s. Didn't you ever wonder why no one ever said we're a 2nd world country? Cause Third world and First world sound better to describe developing and deveoped economies better.
What do you call a country, like us, who are neither developed nor developing.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well technically it would be a failed state, which we aren't either. A little bit of growth is still seen as developing.

The Free Radical

Well technically it would be a failed state, which we aren't either. A little bit of growth is still seen as developing.
You aren't developing if your government spend exceeds your taxable income, and can't cater for its population growth.

We are regressing, and have been for years already.

santaman202

Actually no, it's from living in the 80s when the cold war was still happening and learning about it in these buildings where people stood up in front of you and taught you things about the world. Not just this little bubble we live in.
See this little image, the blue ones are first world, the red ones second world and the green third world as it stood during the cold war.
What bothers me is that only European countries are allowed to join NATO these days. So now that the cold war is over, how does a country qualify for first world status ?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
What bothers me is that only European countries are allowed to join NATO these days. So now that the cold war is over, how does a country qualify for first world status ?
By not having presidents like Trump and Zuma?

/s

Swa

Honorary Master
Going backwards?

Seriously though the terms developing and developed have never made sense as all countries have to keep on developing. Has more to so with drawing an arbitrary line where some countries can place themselves above others.