SAA flights empty out as passengers abandon airline

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
SAA flights empty out as passengers abandon airline

As South African Airways (SAA) cuts flight routes and works on implementing its business rescue plan, customers are abandoning the struggling airline in droves.

According to a report by The Sunday Times, passengers are actively avoiding flying with the airline due to the risk of cancelled flights.

antowan

Honorary Master
Good. Finally people are catching a wake up. But people are fickle. Simple good pricing will make them go back and support corruption once again.
Which is what was needed decades ago. Decent pricing.

Blue Shirt

Anyone putting a cent in SAA is an Idiot, never mind R3.5 Billion.
Those idiots are us taxpayers. All the recent loans are guaranteed by National Treasury. The banks' credit committees would never allow the loans to be unsecured.

I suppose this is what we get for allowing other idiots to make decisions using our money.

R13...

Honorary Master
Which is what was needed decades ago. Decent pricing.
Can't price decent when your costs are ridiculously indecent
Anyone putting a cent in SAA is an Idiot, never mind R3.5 Billion.
Why not? The loans are government guaranteed so you're guaranteed your money back. Only an idiot would refuse to put money on such a sure thing.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Can't price decent when your costs are ridiculously indecentWhy not? The loans are government guaranteed so you're guaranteed your money back. Only an idiot would refuse to put money on such a sure thing.
It is guaranteed by an almost bankrupt government.

Eric

Honorary Master
Only for the next few months, that 3.5 Billion is not going to last.
Well hopefully another airline steps in... Unless we've been funding the US flights all this time... That said, I'm not sure why other airlines can fly similar distances for under R20k but the US routes have to be crazy prices.

Milano

Honorary Master
The flight is packed, I doubt it's subsidised.
Exactly. Who cares that SAA had been subsidised since 2011. Four times a year I need to unwind at Mar-a-Lago. Next thing government will tell me to sell once of my Porsche's and pay full price with another provider.

Eric

Honorary Master
Exactly. Who cares that SAA had been subsidised since 2011. Four times a year I need to unwind at Mar-a-Lago. Next thing government will tell me to sell once of my Porsche's and pay full price with another provider.
No, we all know that SAA has major holes from which it leaks cash. We were discussing a route. I'm saying it's not R40k a pop because it's subsidised. It's likely one of the few profitable routes if you looked at the bigger picture. The issues are government mismanagement and lack of industry expertise. Point being, I'm not spending R40k with Delta when SAA charge R16k.

Milano

Honorary Master
No, we all know that SAA has major holes from which it leaks cash. We were discussing a route. I'm saying it's not R40k a pop because it's subsidised. It's likely one of the few profitable routes if you looked at the bigger picture. The issues are government mismanagement and lack of industry expertise. Point being, I'm not spending R40k with Delta when SAA charge R16k.
I'm on you side I love a good vanity project paid for by taxpayers.

richjdavies

View attachment 777950
Seems others can pick up the slack, SAA is still probably among the cheapest if I checked the other flights outside of "best". The above is Google Flights, Cape Town to any airport in New York.
And SAA wont even fly you to London/Europe without going via Joburg (although several other companies will now!)

SAA is empty and yet still doesnt come out cheapest!? They have terribly poor dynamic pricing.