SAA plans to fire up to 20% of staff

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
SAA plans to fire up to 20% of staff

South African Airways, the beleaguered state-owned airline that’s reliant on government financial support to continue operating, has started a restructuring process that could see its workforce cut by almost a fifth.

As required by South African law, the carrier has started talks with labor unions about its plans, which could affect 944 of its 5,149 employees, SAA said in an emailed statement. The proposed restructuring includes all SAA divisions and departments, excluding its Mango Airlines, Air Chefs and SAA Technical units, it said.

[Bloomberg]

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
Are there ALTERNATIVE employment opportunities for these displaced people ?
The ranks of the unemployed AND unemployable are starting to swell
Once a tipping point is reached CHAOS becomes inevitable !

South Africa -- a modern case study in state failure !
When there were so many other examples to have learned from -- one actually a neighbour !

Perhaps the negative meme that black Africans are incapable of governing and running a modern technologically advanced democratic state are TRUE ?

ProfA

Honorary Master
If I were one of the staff to be retrenched, I would be pissed as the ONLY reason why I am losing my job is because others stole and looted. Now I am being forced to pay for it.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
If I were one of the staff to be retrenched, I would be pissed as the ONLY reason why I am losing my job is because others stole and looted. Now I am being forced to pay for it.
Doubt anyone from Eskom has been fired, doubt it will happen here.

Reactions: ES1

Cius

Executive Member
SAA is heavily overstaffed compared to the private airlines. This really is overdue and in fact never should have gotten too this point. Sad for the individuals though as in this economy jobs be scarce.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
ESKOM employees will sabotage the country's power supply if they are threatened. SAA employees have no such leverage.
rjgUZM.gif

Milano

Honorary Master

Perhaps they are aware there was only one reason they got the job to begin with. Like Eskom, many were likely never required and it boiled down to another jobs-for-votes scheme. As long as they keep voting ANC they have another shot at a thumb-sucked position in the next big SEO pyramid employment scheme. Almost certainly while all eyes are on Eskom and SAA there are likely other SEO's on huge hiring sprees as we speak.

ProfA

Honorary Master
Perhaps they are aware there was only one reason they got the job to begin with. Like Eskom, many were likely never required and it boiled down to another jobs-for-votes scheme. As long as they keep voting ANC they have another shot at a thumb-sucked position in the next big pyramid employment scheme.
Those are NOT the ones who will be first to go. ;)

konfab

Honorary Master
I don't think the people who actually do the work are going to be losing their job.