SAA to cancel flights across 6 routes

Okty

Expert Member
If we do less business, we will be more profitable.

YES!
Well, it does depend if those routes are profitable or not. I assume currently they aren't, hence getting the chop.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
If we do less business, we will be more profitable.

YES!
That is not how it works. Just because they are flying there does not mean the route is making money. If a route is not making money, it needs to be cut. This is pretty normal with airlines. Why you will find that there were airlines flying to South Africa who is no longer doing so. Austrian Airlines being one of them, though I read that they are making a return to Cape Town I believe later next year. Some airlines also only fly certain routes during the high season as the route is only profitable for them during that time of the year.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
They're getting the chop because the SAA is bankrupt and they're trying to "cut costs" to save money. They did, however, pay huge bonuses to the folks at SAFAIR (I think it was SAFAIR) recently, due to their stellar work, bankruptcy aside :whistling:

They should be pushing their product and cutting corruption out.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Thing is, if you look at their financials, the real costs are employee expenses (which does not reduce if you cut a route, unless you fire or retrench) as well as maintenance costs and also lease costs. You need to also get rid of aircraft, or fly a more profitable route with the now unused planes. Their maintenance costs are so high, because their jets are mostly old, expensive A330's and A340's which almost no carrier uses anymore.

Let's hope they start making better decisions.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Brazzaville, Congo via Pointe Noire, Congo
Douala, Cameroon via Libreville, Gabon
Kinshasa, DRC
Entebbe, Uganda
Luanda, Angola
Cotonou, Benin via Libreville, Gabon

I want to fly to those destinations, yeah, right.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
because their jets are mostly old, expensive A330's and A340's which almost no carrier uses anymore.

Let's hope they start making better decisions.
The A330's are hardly old, especially the A330-300 models which is basically brand new. The A340's yes, those are old and being a quad, expensive to fly (though less so now with the oil price that has come down a lot in the last few years). Almost no carrier uses the A330? That too is simply not true. There are loads of them being flown all over the world.

WalkWithMe

They're getting the chop because the SAA is bankrupt and they're trying to "cut costs" to save money. They did, however, pay huge bonuses to the folks at SAFAIR (I think it was SAFAIR) recently, due to their stellar work, bankruptcy aside :whistling:

SAFAir is a private company who leases planes to other airlines and also started low cost airline a few years back.

Brawler

Executive Member
None of those routes use a330's or a340's.

I'm surprised Kinshasa is on that list. Plane is always full and is expensive as hell.

kripstoe

Expert Member
Routes probably not their biggest issue. SAA has too many employees per aircraft.

Insint

Expert Member
First proactive sensible action we've seen from them.
Yes, finally hopefully they will cut out all their non profit flight and not just some. At least this looks like a step in the right direction.

Cius

Executive Member
This will help a lot less than a big round of retrenching. SAA has about 6 times the staff per route of profitable airlines.

f2wohf

Honorary Master

Safair is in no way affiliated to SAA so I don't see how they would pay bonuses to people who are not their employees...

f2wohf

Honorary Master
This will help a lot less than a big round of retrenching. SAA has about 6 times the staff per route of profitable airlines.
Totally agreed.

And get rid of the A340.

Georgios

Airlink will be taking over the routes from October.

Safair has no connection to SAA. Completely independent. Infact, Safair own 2 of the 737-800 that SAA operate.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Airlink will be taking over the routes from October.

Safair has no connection to SAA. Completely independent. Infact, Safair own 2 of the 737-800 that SAA operate.
They puting the new E-190's on those routes?