SAA to cut flights to Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, and East London

Oppiekoffie

Expert Member
So, to become profitable, we deliver less service... another ANC success story. LOL wondering if the snowflakes and crybabies will approve.

FlashSA

Executive Member
F#&k them. I, and many others choose Flysafair or Kulula first already and these private airlines will just get stronger.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Cutting out low demand routes is a good idea to help profitability, but not great as a public service. I do find dropping CT to Joburg odd though, I thought that would be a money maker.

bromster

Expert Member
It's all the people who aren't actually paying for seats that are creating this problem. Friends of friends whose auntie works at the check in counter, paying 3 Grand to fly to America and back.

They need to reach a consensus to cut staff wages across the board, or face massive retrenchments.

And they need to review their staff travel policy.

And reduce their long haul flights. Those are the ones haemorrhaging money.

Hosehead

Executive Member
F#&k them. I, and many others choose Flysafair or Kulula first already and these private airlines will just get stronger.
Kulula is only strong because Comair holds the British Airways Franchise. Without the backing of BA I am sure the playing field would look a lot different for Comair
Now with planned SAA cutbacks on domestic routes which are already running at full capacity we are going to be paying way higher ticket prices. High demand-less frequencies
So it's not good news in the absence of new competitors.

Oppiekoffie

Expert Member
And never, ever will you see, we will cut down on overpaid salaries to useless criminal staff.

dlk001

Executive Member
My Kulula experience to East London is always of a poor service, constantly late flights. With SAA cutbacks, prices will be going up, including Kulula and FlySafair. This sucks.

FoXtroT

Expert Member
Kulula is only strong because Comair holds the British Airways Franchise. Without the backing of BA I am sure the playing field would look a lot different for Comair
Now with planned SAA cutbacks on domestic routes which are already running at full capacity we are going to be paying way higher ticket prices. High demand-less frequencies
The only backing comair get from BA is the name, otherwise its a completely separate entity.

R13...

Honorary Master
My Kulula experience to East London is always of a poor service, constantly late flights. With SAA cutbacks, prices will be going up, including Kulula and FlySafair. This sucks.
Don't mango service the route?

FoXtroT

Expert Member
A while ago I read a report about SAA's financial problems and it mentioned that SAA has the highest staff to aircraft ratio in the world, double what most other airlines had. There is the problem.

Drifter

Honorary Master
A while ago I read a report about SAA's financial problems and it mentioned that SAA has the highest staff to aircraft ratio in the world, double what most other airlines had. There is the problem.
Yes, but Oom se Ma se Tannie se boetie en sussie moet ook werk kry jy weet.

dlk001

Executive Member
Don't mango service the route?
Unfortunately not. East London is only serviced by SAA, Kulula, and FlySafair. I usually use SAA and other two as a last resort. SAA and FlySafair service is always descent.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Good, I don't want my tax money to subsidize your flying around, by faking SAA prices...

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I've previously seen the A340s on the JNB-CPT route. What was the load factor on this setup?

Hosehead

Executive Member
The only backing comair get from BA is the name, otherwise its a completely separate entity.
Yes seperate entity which gives them direct access to BA booking engines and other huge franchisee advantages
See
Dear reader, if you have been at Julius Nyerere International Airport lately you may have noticed that there are British Airways (BA) flights being displayed on the arrival and departure screens indicating that BA is operating on the Johannesburg-Dar es salaam route. For actual travelers when you board the aircraft you get the impression that indeed this is a BA flight. Not quite though. The actual airline operating on the DAR-JNB route is Comair, one of the national airlines of South Africa. In this regard Comair is operating as BA under the franchise agreement whereby the aircraft livery, staff uniforms, ticketing code, IATA code and all those things mentioned in the preceding paragraph belong to BA who is a franchisor in this case.

Under this framework Comair is capitalizing on the strength of BA’s brand to woo customers who are under the impression that they are flying on BA flights but in actual fact they are not. For example, a traveler making a reservation in San Paulo, Brazil to travel to Dar es salaam via Johannesburg will never know that he/she is going to fly Comair on the sector JNB-DAR. All he/she will see will be a BA product all the way except in some cases when a cabin crew may decide to announce that this “Comair flight is operated by BA”. It must be noted that the franchisor (BA) doesn’t participate in the loss or profit sharing, whatsoever, made by the franchisee (Comair) except getting a franchise fee or royalty as per the agreement. Editorial space does not allow mentioning more examples but there many airlines around the world operating under such framework.