SAA to take flight next week with plans to recover its former glory

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Do they have any of their aircraft left? The A380s A350s were leased as far as I remember, but what about all the A320s and A330s?

Edit: A350
Never mind the aircraft they dont even have pilots - and if they did get pilots, the pilots need to re-train because they haven't touched a simulator, let alone an aircraft in over a year.

R13...

Honorary Master
The whole reason they're "reviving" the airline is due to political interference.

As far as I've been told, the only thing they've trimmed are their pilots - by not paying them for what must be at least a year now.
As quoted above, it isn't just pilots who didn't get paid. They stopped paying salaries in March 2020. Everyone's salaries.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Never mind the aircraft they dont even have pilots - and if they did get pilots, the pilots need to re-train because they haven't touched a simulator, let alone an aircraft in over a year.
A few planes have been flying in the past few days according to @ponder . I don't think they have the numbers they used to have but will quite possible attract more as they ramp up operations.

ponder

Honorary Master
A few planes have been flying in the past few days according to @ponder . I don't think they have the numbers they used to have but will quite possible attract more as they ramp up operations.

Some of the flights are proper flights with pax, I'm assuming the planes got leased for a specific job like earlier where they brought people in and out of the country due to lockdown. Other flights are shorter that take off/land at or tambo and just fly loops around jhb, I'm assuming these are maintenance related.

EDIT: While having a braai 2-3 saturdays ago we also noticed one or two saa planes coming into the local airport here.

surface

Honorary Master
As quoted above, it isn't just pilots who didn't get paid. They stopped paying salaries in March 2020. Everyone's salaries.
Sad. So, are these people sticking around just because of current market situation ? Especially pilots - where are they going find jobs otherwise.

ponder

Honorary Master
Especially pilots - where are they going find jobs otherwise.

SA-Taxi-Taximart-Dealership-2-1.jpg

Mekon

Expert Member
Former glory? so when all those glorious bailouts come in?