SAA will need to upgrade fleet to compete outside Africa

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Somewhere out there is a bunch of new A330 and A350 aircraft that are already painted in SAA livery and (at least for thet A330) already have SAA's interior. And since they were repo'd during the pandemic, I doubt the lessors had any luck finding them new homes. Should be easy enough to get them leased again?

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
SAA needs new planes

South African Airways will need a more modern fleet to be competitive on routes outside its home continent following the Covid-19 crisis, according to interim Chief Executive Officer Thomas Kgokolo.

Here the whole recycle process started again, forced by the way of operations worldwide....Resources are waisted on a global scale like never ever before. Narrative=To be competive again.=Reality more taxpayers money feeding a Narrative. Its really time to start understanding.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
I hear the Guptas have a struggling airline. I'm sure they won't mind wet leasing some mothballed airframe. #wetlease=wetdream

Quicks

Expert Member
Said it yesterday, that it won't be long until something comes up and they need more money. Thought it would at least take until end of October. But here we are 1 Day later and only opening flights next week on 23 September and already talking about needing new stuff and money.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Said it yesterday, that it won't be long until something comes up and they need more money. Thought it would at least take until end of October. But here we are 1 Day later and only opening flights next week on 23 September and already talking about needing new stuff and money.
I don't think they're going to buy new aircraft anytime soon. They'll probably continue using leased aircraft for the foreseeable future. The guy is a CEO so he obviously is looking into the future.

Cray

Honorary Master
Simple solution, don't compete outside Africa until you have shown that you can make a consistent year-on-year profit on African routes. Then use those profits to finance your fleet upgrades, or is this too much like running a sensible business?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Simple solution, don't compete outside Africa until you have shown that you can make a consistent year-on-year profit on African routes. Then use those profits to finance your fleet upgrades, or is this too much like running a sensible business?
They'd need planes either way, but I don't think they're in a position to purchase a fleet of their own.

Tman*

Expert Member
I don't think they're going to buy new aircraft anytime soon. They'll probably continue using leased aircraft for the foreseeable future. The guy is a CEO so he obviously is looking into the future.
You are saying "he is the ceo" as if that means anything?

SAA had a score of CEO's before this guy that thought they knew what they were doing. Heck, didnt one of the previous guys take out a bet (and lost) saying he can make SAA profitable?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
You are saying "he is the ceo" as if that means anything?

SAA had a score of CEO's before this guy that thought they knew what they were doing. Heck, didnt one of the previous guys take out a bet (and lost) saying he can make SAA profitable?
It means a lot. Obviously there's already strategy for the airline going forward, and whatever he said is in that strategy.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
They'd need planes either way, but I don't think they're in a position to purchase a fleet of their own.

Then they need to stop talking about future "dream" plans, and talk more about how the entity will make a profit on its existing routes with the fleet they already have (be it leased or not).

Nobody cares what SAA wants, all we care about is that they make a profit and don't drain the damn fiscus anymore.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Then stop talking about future "dream" plans, and talk more about how the entity will make a profit on its existing routes with the fleet they already have (be it leased or not).

Nobody cares what SAA wants, all we care about is that they make a profit and don't drain the damn fiscus anymore.
I'm speculating here. I'm assuming he's vocalising their turnaround strategy. They would not start an airline without some form of future plans.

Cray

Honorary Master
Then stop talking about future "dream" plans, and talk more about how the entity will make a profit on its existing routes with the fleet they already have (be it leased or not).

To be fair they probably have a better chance of being profitable outside of SA because for foreigners they are just another airline. For local flyers, everyone in the country sees them for the tax black hole that they are and people will avoid flying them because of it.

Last edited: