SABC can't 'turn blind eye' to Perlman

Debbie

Banned
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
7,253
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=288291&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__national/

The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) could not simply "turn a blind eye" to the alleged transgressions of its AM Live radio anchor John Perlman, the broadcaster's CEO, Dali Mpofu, told MPs on Monday.

Briefing members of Parliament's communications portfolio committee on the findings of a commission into so-called blacklisting by the SABC of certain commentators and analysts, he confirmed Perlman would face a disciplinary inquiry.

Perlman stands accused of bringing the SABC into disrepute through his contradicting of the broadcaster's spokesperson, Kaizer Kganyago, during a live on-air discussion on the blacklisting issue.

Earlier this year, Mpofu appointed a commission -- comprising former SABC head Zwelakhe Sisulu and advocate Gilbert Marcus SC -- to investigate blacklisting complaints. It found the broadcaster had blacklisted certain commentators, albeit not officially.

It also found Perlman was right when he stated during the live broadcast that the blacklisting was happening in practice "by instruction".

Mpofu said no organisation with a disciplinary code could allow an employee to make such a statement without calling for an investigation into the matter.

The SABC has 18 radio stations and four television channels, with thousands of employees, and if this is allowed it would open up a "free for all".

"The complaint against Perlman is simply what is commonly known as bringing an organisation into disrepute. You have to accept ... that the issue does not turn around the veracity or otherwise of the statement made," he said, responding to a question.

It was a simple issue, and "quite frankly, even if he's found to have breached this or that rule at a technical level ... it's not like a mass murder, or anything of that sort.

"As a CEO, I can't be seen to be turning a blind eye to alleged transgression. I'm not saying he's guilty or innocent or whatever. I'm saying let somebody else decide that question."

Mpofu said the complaint against Perlman had been laid "even before the commission came into being".

SABC news head Snuki Zikalala is also facing a disciplinary inquiry arising out of the blacklisting report.

The SABC had violated the recommendations of the commission by releasing only a sanitised summary of its findings, the Mail & Guardian reported earlier this month.

The M&G Online published the full commission report, whereafter the SABC went to court to obtain an interdict against the website, but failed to do so.

It was reported that commission's 78-page report is damning. It confirms the existence of an arbitrary blacklist of outside commentators who should not be consulted and says there is a climate of fear in the broadcaster's newsrooms. It is scathing about the arbitrary decision-making, the iron-fist rule and the lack of editorial knowledge of Zikalala.


The report says Zikalala "appears to intervene at a micro-level inappropriate to his level of management ... in a seemingly ad hoc and inconsistent manner ... and then belatedly attempted to develop policy guidelines in regard to these practices.

The effect of this management style is that rather than voluntary [and presumably occasional] "upward referral" as outlined in the editorial policies, there is a downward micro-management, which can only impact negatively on morale, initiative and an appropriate sense of ownership [by journalists]."

"The board," recommends the report, "should take close cognisance of the concerns about the particular management style of Dr Zikalala as outlined in this report, particularly regarding problems of communication and the inappropriately narrow interpretation of the SABC's mandate."

Read in conjunction with the evidence of Zikalala's exclusion of commentators, it is clear that urgent action is recommended.

An attempt to deflect attention from the real issue, which is the fact that the SABC is engaging in unconstitutional behaviour?
 

bekdik

Honorary Master
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
12,860
Another parastatal cover up and lying to the electorate ....
 

Skeptik

Banned
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
6,592
He can be described as a whistle-blower of sorts. The law should protect him but in practice it does not.
Rule of thumb: Don't blow the whistle because you don't what it will summon.
 
K

kingrob

Guest
I don't think this kind of behaviour by management is limited to the SABC, but is present in most state departments.
 

Darth Garth

Executive Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Messages
6,207
Zikalala was just being a good lackey and stooge ... he knows which side his bread is buttered on.

Also I have an inherent disregard for any media channel that is state owned or operated.
 

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
4,064
Perlman did the right thing. Now they want to hang him because he wouldn't play along with their little game of CYA? If the SABC keeps digging they'll be China's problem soon.
 

Getafix

Expert Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
1,371
:sick: :sick: :sick:

Kaizer was lying.

Finish and klaar.

Perlman proofed it. Now he is in trouble?

Mpofu. Look at this example:

Let's say, just for argument's sake, your son is stealing your change for pocket money and I know about it.

Should I tell you? Or shatup otherwise I bring your family in disrepute.

If there is a snake in your house, kill the snake and not the bloke who found it.
 

chiskop

Executive Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2006
Messages
9,214
Well, its not that simple. Kaizer said that there was no board-mandated blacklist. He was right. He wasn't lying about that.

Kaizer probably had no idea of the existance of Zikallala's blacklist, or the conditions under which Perlman was operating.

Kaizer is just the messenger. Zikalala is the problem.
 
Last edited:

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
7,329
PhD (Bulgaria) - Snuki is das komissar

perlman is one of the few decent news people in this country
 

simple_simon

Expert Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
1,194
why is everyone surprised by this, the old apartheid government did this all the time.....where do you think they learnt it from?

do people even need news channels these days. i get all my news off the net.
 

simple_simon

Expert Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
1,194
i'm trying to recall who snuli zikalala is? if i can recall he was the bumbling bafoon that had a news segment for approx 3 min everynight from some far flung reach of SA...he was barely comprehensible
 
K

kingrob

Guest
why is everyone surprised by this, the old apartheid government did this all the time.....where do you think they learnt it from?

do people even need news channels these days. i get all my news off the net.

You would have thought that the ANC will not make the same mistakes?
 

Jongi

Expert Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
1,971
Before we all cry in our beers, why not let's wait for the actuall outcome of the disciplinary committee.
 

Skeptik

Banned
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
6,592
i'm trying to recall who snuli zikalala is? if i can recall he was the bumbling bafoon that had a news segment for approx 3 min everynight from some far flung reach of SA...he was barely comprehensible
Don't you remember the infamous interview with Robert Mugabe. He got the softest interview of his life from Snuki.
 
Top