SABC mess – Will Comrades Marathon be on TV?

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
SABC mess – Will Comrades Marathon be on TV?

The Comrades Marathon, South Africa’s premier athletics event, is at risk of not being on TV, according to a report by the City Press.

The report comes after the Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon, another prominent race, was not broadcast on TV this weekend. The race was not shown on TV, as is normally done by the SABC, as the public broadcaster “had no deal with Athletics SA”.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
"SABC Mess"

As much as I am no fan of the SOE, after reading the article I cannot fault the SABC. They are following proper procedure.

The article said:
... “no agreement between us and ASA to broadcast the race”, following failed negotiations between the two parties.

Athletics SA confirmed this...
We complain about state capture and corruption that resulted in due process not being followed, and here the SABC are following due process, yet we still complain.

I believe the fault lies with Athletics SA.
Atleast the CMA are being proactive in this matter.

lotus123

I haven't watched SABC TV for a long time (I can't really defend my position on paying their license fees if I did watch), but the last time I sneaked a look at their Comrades coverage I seem to recall 4:3 format and Lo-def? Isn't it time the coverage moved to someone who can do a better job? Even YouTube coverage?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I haven't watched SABC TV for a long time (I can't really defend my position on paying their license fees if I did watch), but the last time I sneaked a look at their Comrades coverage I seem to recall 4:3 format and Lo-def? Isn't it time the coverage moved to someone who can do a better job? Even YouTube coverage?
SABC has been 16:9 and HD for a number of years now. I especially enjoy the cricket matches.