SABC radio building evacuated after massive diesel leak, people still trapped

Pitbull

Verboten
The match implies he wants to burn down the SABC and the people (a corrupt business)

I said someone should shoot Malema
I too see now issue with what you or him said. But that's me :D

gamer16

Executive Member
I've known for a long time that you can't light diesel with a match but I never knew the flash point was so low.

To ignite, the fuel must have a low flash point, but in order to avoid preignition caused by residual heat in a hot combustion chamber, the fuel must have a high autoignition temperature. Diesel fuel flash pointsvary between 52 and 96 °C (126 and 205 °F). Dieselis suitable for use in a compression-ignition engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I've known for a long time that you can't light diesel with a match but I never knew the flash point was so low.

To ignite, the fuel must have a low flash point, but in order to avoid preignition caused by residual heat in a hot combustion chamber, the fuel must have a high autoignition temperature. Diesel fuel flash pointsvary between 52 and 96 °C (126 and 205 °F). Dieselis suitable for use in a compression-ignition engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point
So the correct comment would be who has a Glowplug for me?

Ah screw it, gonna test it this weekend. I have 5 RC cars and will use one of their plugs.

quovadis

Expert Member
I see no problem with this, even if it was Jesus.
Well that depends. Technically (depending on if you're religious or not) he's not on earth any longer like Malema currently is. Some might consider your comment anti-Semitic. :ROFL: *reports*

Voicy

Honorary Master
I would suspect it's due to the dissipation of the voltage due to the distance. Remember buildings don't have High Voltage lines, thus the distance of cabling inside the building would cause a loss of voltage at about the 15th floor I guess :p
That would still only be around 50-60m...Not worth the effort of placing a genset that high up - especially considering you have to transport fuel up there as well as all servicing etc.

Pitbull

Verboten
So the correct comment would be who has a Glowplug for me?

Ah screw it, gonna test it this weekend. I have 5 RC cars and will use one of their plugs.
Even glow plug won't work. It needs to be heated and compressed.
That would still only be around 50-60m...Not worth the effort of placing a genset that high up - especially considering you have to transport fuel up there as well as all servicing etc.
50 - 60m high yes. The power cabling in that building probably runs in the 1000's of Kilometers.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
You'd have to get all the diesel up to temp. So maybe a fire on lower floors. (For educational reasons only).
Genuinely asking as I am now the proud owner of a 320D.

You are telling me that a car first warms up the diesel? I know old Diesel cars had a red LED that you had to wait for before starting your car. However I thought that was the Glowplugs warming up.

Then again, my 320D has no such light and instantly starts when I insert the key and press the button

gamer16

Executive Member

You are telling me that a car first warms up the diesel? I know old Diesel cars had a red LED that you had to wait for before starting your car. However I thought that was the Glowplugs warming up.

Then again, my 320D has no such light and instantly starts when I insert the key and press the button
Well yes and no, the diesel heats up when it enters the pot as it gets compressed in there.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

The Diesel engine (also known as a compression-ignition or CI engine), named after Rudolf Diesel, is an internal combustion engine in which ignition of the fuel, which is injected into the combustion chamber, is caused by the elevated temperature of the air in the cylinder due to the mechanical compression (adiabatic compression). Diesel engines work by compressing only the air. This increases the air temperature inside the cylinder to such a high degree that atomised Diesel fuel injected into the combustion chamber ignites spontaneously.

quovadis

Expert Member

In a nutshell air is compressed and heated to auto-ignition temperature and then Diesel is injected at high pressure to create the combustion. As a liquid Diesel is typically not volatile until certain conditions are met but for example Diesel vapor is very flammable. Newer diesel cars are just more efficient at this process.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Glow plugs helped the process along in cold climates when the compressed air heat is dissipated by the cold engine block. All a glow plug does is reduce the number of compression cycles that have to take place before the air is heated up sufficiently for spontaneous fuel ignition.

quovadis

Expert Member
No, Stupidity places generators on the 15th floor. The mains feeds comes up from the ground .....
Someone benefitted from a badly designed standby power arrangement.
You missed the sarcasm in the posts. And yes it's most likely that it's either DB centrally located or a genset for a particular purpose on that floor. 2000L isn't particularly large.

Pitbull

Verboten

You are telling me that a car first warms up the diesel?
Yes, it needs to be heated up even higher if you run bio fuel. That is a different discussion

I know old Diesel cars had a red LED that you had to wait for before starting your car. However I thought that was the Glowplugs warming up.
Back then it was yes. Nowadays the technology has improved a lot. Glowplugs are only used in extremely cold starts. But not really needed.

Welcome to the 21st century :)