SABC to broadcast live English Premier League matches

maumau

Honorary Master
Great news. Good for them, advertising revenue should pick up.

Fox1

Expert Member
I think MC gave in as they know ICASA will force sharing of EPL sports rights anyways. They rather share with SABC than Starsat or Openview.

fishfly

Honorary Master
What a half arse article... SABC will only broadcast 1 live match a week:

The national broadcaster announced on Tuesday that they will begin covering arguably the most popular league in the world with build-up and review magazine programmes, as well as one live match every Saturday at 4pm.
25 August: Arsenal v West Ham
2 September: Burnley v Manchester United
15 September: Manchester United v Fulham
22 September: Liverpool v Southampton

There's generally 10 matches a weekend and they will show 1 match not even a big match at that... Where's the Liverpool vs United, Chelsea vs Arsenal, United vs City, Tottenham vs Chelsea etc?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

There's generally 10 matches a weekend and they will show 1 match not even a big match at that... Where's the Liverpool vs United, Chelsea vs Arsenal, United vs City, Tottenham vs Chelsea etc?
It is extremely safe to assume that they cannot afford more than that.

thechamp

Honorary Master

It will still be something for those who love soccer but don't have dstv although i have my doubts as to how many out there who loves English but still don't have dstv?

But I still remember how e tv made life bearable by showing UEFA games.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
It will still be something for those who love soccer but don't have dstv although i have my doubts as to how many out there who loves English but still don't have dstv?

These days we're so pressed for time, 1 game a week is fast becoming a luxury.

At least it's a move in a positive direction.

R13...

Honorary Master

Remember that even local football followers now have DSTV because SABC show a limited number of matches and only recorded in midweek due to their schedule issues. But this may win them a few more viewers as people look to cut costs and ditching DSTV.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member

It is a good start.

thechamp

Honorary Master
There was a time when SABC had all the rights to the local PSL matches he they did not even show half of that since they only showed a maximum of 4 games over the weekend. During the week days Genarations all all the soapies had first oreference resulting in a delayed game at 11pm. Trying to understand here, are they at least going to show all the games they have rights to?

_kabal_

Expert Member
This is fine, as long as Supersport continue to show every game. I have no desire to watch minus-SD quality football

The last thing that we need it a Sky/BT situation where you need to now use different sources to view different matches (and multiple subscription in this instance)