• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

SABC to cut down 2019 election coverage cost to R30m

daveza

Honorary Master
https://ewn.co.za/2018/09/25/sabc-to-cut-down-2019-election-coverage-cost-to-r30m

CAPE TOWN - The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will cut back the cost of its coverage for next year’s elections to R30 million.

But chief operating officer Chris Maroleng says this will not see any reduction in coverage.

The public broadcaster’s bill for covering the 2016 local government elections was nearly R40 million.

The SABC board and top management briefed the communications oversight committee on Tuesday on plans put the public broadcaster on a stable financial footing.

Maroleng reassured Members of Parliament: “The R30 million cost of covering elections – does it come at (the cost) or watering down our coverage of elections and coverage to the various political parties? I’m very happy to say that it does not.”

Maroleng says they’re saving on accommodation and transport and through more efficient plans for staff and resources.

Last edited:

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
That's still R30m too much.. but yeah... they are typical of the cANCer.. make it out to be some Whooooo Yeaaaaah we're going to save money... Whoooohoo type story

thechamp

Honorary Master
I don't know whether it's too much ir too little, I just know that they have to cover the elections. Well done for cutting the R10m off.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I don't know whether it's too much ir too little, I just know that they have to cover the elections. Well done for cutting the R10m off.
Problem is this is stuff they should be doing as normal business.. Not something to crow about... I'm more pissed that they wasted more than r10m in the last elections.

Zukat

It feels like they becoming more transparent, a lot of news about sabc lately. Understandably majority of this forum wants them gone, but most developing countries have a national broadcaster so they not going anywhere... start adding some value on how they can improve instead of the same comments under each sabc article

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It feels like they becoming more transparent, a lot of news about sabc lately. Understandably majority of this forum wants them gone, but most developing countries have a national broadcaster so they not going anywhere... start adding some value on how they can improve instead of the same comments under each sabc article
Problem this isn't about adding value to improve but more about doing business the way I expect them to anyway

thechamp

Honorary Master
Problem is this is stuff they should be doing as normal business.. Not something to crow about... I'm more pissed that they wasted more than r10m in the last elections.
The good old days when Hlaudi was still running the show, I would not hold it against the new management.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
And what is your expectation, apart from rooting out the corruption?
Not crow about it in parliament as if they are changing the world... It is business as it is supposed to be... If they cut the costs of the broadcast to r10m by doing something amazing then crow about it.

MirageF1

Makes no diff whether its R3 or R300 million, we all know what the outcome will be,its a dark fait accompli.

freddster

Expert Member
You still call this a developing country. Maybe into a rubbishdump. Negative developing.

thechamp

Honorary Master
These bas***ds make it sound like we should applaud them.

So a year later with the cost of everything up you can do the same thing for 10 million less ?

Shame, only 4 star hotels this time ?

And you nag us to pay our tv licences - gfy the lot of you.
The guys were in parliament briefing the oversight communications committe, where is the part that makes it sound like they are asking anyone to applaud them?