SABC wants to hike TV licence fees

durbandave

let them increase the tv license fees. It is just more money that I WONT be paying each year. Sorry but I will not be providing funding to that bunch of clowns.

I do not, nor want to watch the drivel that is broadcast on SABC everyday. I already pay monochoice enough for my tv content

Rabobi

Executive Member
let them increase the tv license fees. It is just more money that I WONT be paying each year. Sorry but I will not be providing funding to that bunch of clowns.

I do not, nor want to watch the drivel that is broadcast on SABC everyday. I already pay monochoice enough for my tv content
If you listen to radio then yes you owe them the fees.

I've been paying, when they increase again i will stop paying.

durbandave

If you listen to radio then yes you owe them the fees.

I've been paying, when they increase again i will stop paying.
I dont think I have listened to the radio in my car for about 3 years now. I prefer to listen to CD's or MP3 when in my car. So no I dont owe them anything.

koeks525

Expert Member
Just watch SABC keep increasing that fee and not increase content quality. They keep repeating old shows, if its not the old shows it is the crappy soapies that are still ongoing.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Launch DTT already so those who do not want to pay can be cut off conveniently and not go though the trouble of submitting a affidavit and what not to be rid of the SABC's licence fee system.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Are you sure? I skimmed the government gazette right now and I don't see anything about radio...
You may have me there. TV lic fees are used for radio expense but listening to radio doesnt mean you need a tv lic. Apologies, it says so on the SABC site.

Q: WHO NEEDS A TELEVISION LICENCE?
A: In terms of the Broadcasting Act, No 4 of 1999, as amended, any person or entity that has in its possession and/or uses a TV set. A licence remains payable, irrespective of whether a television set in one's possession is used or not.

Wag

Expert Member
Stop paying them many moons ago. Every time they knock on the door and ask for a license i'm telling them the owner is in Europe and I only looking after the house. Once they asked me to sign something, I refuse and they left. Going strong for 10 years plus.

walterl

Expert Member
How about scrapping TV licence fees altogether? Won't it force the SABC to then up their game to survive and if they don't...who cares?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Not watching any TV.

Let them increase it, I don't care.

What % do they want to increase it to? 25%? :erm:

BuckRogers

So what is the legal position here. I have a TV with a computer connected - no Arial at all.

Totempole

Expert Member
So what is the legal position here. I have a TV with a computer connected - no Arial at all.
If it has a functional port for an antenna, then legally speaking you need a TV license for it. For it to no longer require a TV licence you need to pay some clown to fill the antenna port with glue and sign it off as "denatured". :rolleyes:

rorz0r

Executive Member
If you posses a device "capable" of receiving a tv signal then you legally should be paying a tv license. This would then apply to tvs, video machines, tv cards, etc. The cost and effort of having anything denatured and having to prove you don't have any TV's is not worth it.

Funnily enough I wasn't questioned about my tv license when I bought my 5 series that gets sabc :p

chrisc

Executive Member
Daughter left SA in 2004 and still getting demands for TV licence. With fees, etc, it is now over R 19000. They threaten to issue summons, etc but this never materialises.

Cloud

Expert Member
SABC is an ANC mouthpiece as shown during the last elections.
Their COO bumps his salary three times in one year, yeah, good luck convincing me to pay for this trash.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Just think...if you pay your licence fee programs may improve.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Just think...if you pay your licence fee programs may improve.
Maybe if they stop advertising or greatly reduce advertising. Do you know why Top Gear is 60 minutes long if you watch it without ads? Because there is not adverts in it. They cant have their bread buttered on both sides.

Last edited: