Swa

Honorary Master
Since the SABC has the obligation to broadcast unprofitably in all 11 (and sign) languages, it has a right to claim some funding from the citizenry to supplement its commercial operations.
But why not just get a fixed government budget allocation as recompense for this obligation, instead of devising messy, inefficient collection schemes that are controversial, annoying, time-wasting and bound to fail?
The public broadcaster has that obligation and not the SABC. Somehow though it's gotten lost that the SABC is now largely a commercial operation so it's illegal for them to be pocketing any of that money and they should be largely commercially funded.

As long as they, make it, so they collect from the ever dwindling tax base, only, they doom themselves to failure. Especially as their main audience is the non paying majority.
That's what's doomed the government to failure. Everything keeps resting on an ever dwindling base of providers and the donkeys leading it can't see this is not a sustainable model.

shearder

Expert Member
Good luck to these terrorists... leeched enough. You won't be around very much longer so suck a horse d1ck, you'll be better off

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I would happily pay too is the SA service was like the BBC. Alas its far from that and very little is worth watching. However. Bring us the Rugby and Cricket and Premier and Champions leagr and we will happily pay to get rid of DSTV at R1000pm.

So even R100pm is ok but then we want sport. Ah the olymoics too. But in 4k
And what about the ANC lobbying, blatantly using it as the party's personal mouthpiece?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Well, the model that SABC is proposing isn't unique nor did they come up with the idea. They've seen it work in Germany and want to adopt it here. Hence me mentioning it.
That means that I have to pay, yet I don't own a TV tuner, nor any antenna (dish or otherwise). It's a completely unfair system, why should I pay the ANC government for their mouthpiece when I don't even have the means (or the stomach) to watch their putrid broadcasts?
What happened to "The user pays" principle that they were touting not so long ago?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
That means that I have to pay, yet I don't own a TV tuner, nor any antenna (dish or otherwise). It's a completely unfair system, why should I pay the ANC government for their mouthpiece when I don't even have the means (or the stomach) to watch their putrid broadcasts?
What happened to "The user pays" principle that they were touting not so long ago?

They going to take what they fancy from the German system and chuck, what they don't fancy, so it will be a prime F' up as usual.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
You will need lisence to read a newspaper
And then it will evolve into sight tax, for having seeing eyes, hearing ears, a nose that smells... skills tax on ability to read, cognitive function tax on IQ. Where does it end?