SABC warns of impending blackout possibility

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
SABC warns of impending blackout possibility

The SABC is facing a serious financial crisis which forced it to make a difficult decision at the end of May – pay salaries or pay municipal bills.

This is according to a Sunday Times report, which said the state broadcaster opted to pay salaries, meaning it now owes the City of Johannesburg more than R13.5 million.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It's the SABC affiliated radio stations I worry about....oh wait, not really.

Maybe I'm short sighted or something but can anybody think of a reason why SABC should carry on to exist?

R13...

Honorary Master
It's the SABC affiliated radio stations I worry about....oh wait, not really.

Maybe I'm short sighted or something but can anybody think of a reason why SABC should carry on to exist?
Because it is the only source of information for millions. That it's just another mismanaged SOE is a different issue.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Because it is the only source of information for millions. That it's just another mismanaged SOE is a different issue.
I don't think those millions are watching the news on it. Maybe a source of entertainment.

Millions have cellphones anyway. So I disagree.

Kryptonite

let it die........build houses and infrastructure with the money. Keep some radio stations.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Fvck them if I don't pay my licence they on me like a std.

Go put a locked bag around every building they in and get some fake collections agency to bug the shyte out of them.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Strangely enough the millions that watch it don't even pay the TV licenses. Pretty much like everything else in SA.
Let it die, or find a proper solution to fix it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Which part of it is the money pit? Tv or radio?

Keep one that profits and kill the others.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Which part of it is the money pit? Tv or radio?

Keep one that profits and kill the others.
TV more then likely. Shows aren't easy or cheap to produce and the whole more local drive they went on didn't help.

Peon

Expert Member
Spare a thought for the elderly in old age homes whose highlight of the day is to watch the daily soapie.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
There were almost similar articles about SAA, then another about Eskom and now about the SABC.

Why similar? 2 weeks after each, an announcement of another bailout followed.

genetic

Honorary Master
It never ceases to amaze me how useless the ANC is. Lazy, corrupt and can only ever **** things up. Well done ANC.