SABC's proposed TV Licence plan will hammer DStv - Analyst

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
SABC's proposed TV Licence plan will hammer DStv - Analyst

The SABC and Department of Communications and Digital Technologies' plan to force DStv subscribers to pay TV Licences could be highly damaging to South Africa's largest pay TV broadcaster, which is already getting hammered by streaming services.

The proposals for TV Licence amendments have been detailed in the White Paper on Audio and Audiovisual Content Services Policy Framework, and more recently discussed during a Portfolio Committee on Communications meeting in Parliament.

According to the proposed regulations, MultiChoice would either be required to have DStv decoder buyers present a TV Licence upon purchase or when they subscribe to its service.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
What most of these articles don't seem to get is that a TV licence has got nothing to do with whether or not you consume SABC content. It is literally a licence to possess a TV with a tuner, which the SABC just happens to administer and benefit from. Whether you watch, consume or otherwise enjoy SABC content has absolutely nothing to do with it. The SABC knows this, which is why they would never consider a subscription fee, or access fee model, because they know that nobody would subscribe to it. Their only hope of forcing people to pay is to get them at the point that they buy their TV, or whatever other devices they're crazily trying to add to the definition of a "TV".

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I doubt this plan will hammer DStv, since it will never actually see the light of day.

As always our government are great with plans and talking, implementation is something they're pretty much fscking useless at.

moklet

Expert Member
Can see some nightmare admin here. TV license is my spouses name, dstv is in my name. Can see some fights with dstv and sabc for double billing

Creag

The Boar's Rock
SABC demonstrating entitlement, like the Uber drivers
SABC are to useless and inept to do it on their own; must spunge off others

Gnome

Executive Member
What most of these articles don't seem to get is that a TV licence has got nothing to do with whether or not you consume SABC content. It is literally a licence to possess a TV with a tuner, which the SABC just happens to administer and benefit from. Whether you watch, consume or otherwise enjoy SABC content has absolutely nothing to do with it. The SABC knows this, which is why they would never consider a subscription fee, or access fee model, because they know that nobody would subscribe to it. Their only hope of forcing people to pay is to get them at the point that they buy their TV, or whatever other devices they're crazily trying to add to the definition of a "TV".
That is what it is right now. The proposals they are bringing forth are no longer about the SABC being consumed; tuner or otherwise. It is about funding the SABC by people who have a means to fund them regardless if they have the capability to consume it. Meaning the proposals are becoming about the fact that the SABC is entitled to state funding (far as they are concerned) and those "fortunate enough" to be able to buy certain luxuries are being told to pay for SABC so those without the luxuries can consume SABC.

V@ttieK@kkie

You see moaning choice this will happen when you rub shoulders with your gov friends. Someday they will bend you over and load you like a shotgun

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I seriously wonder how many of those claimed 9.5 million SABC license holders, have long since departed this realm.